pixeltracker

CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY

chicagotheater
#1CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/25/12 at 11:19am

IF ANYONE IS GOING TO THE CD SIGNING OF CARRIE THE MUSICAL AT BN TODAY AND GETS AN EXTRA COPY SIGNED I WILL PAY YOU NICELY FOR IT PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I LOVE THIS BOOK MOVIE MUSICAL EVERYTHING ABOUT IT

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/25/12 at 6:39pm

It was a good event today. It was nice to see pretty much the entire cast back together. My only thing is I wish Marin would have sung "THE SONG", but other than that, it was a lot of fun.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/25/12 at 6:42pm

But Jordan, DID YOU GET THE OP AN EXTRA COPY?!?!

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Jordan Catalano
#3CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/25/12 at 6:55pm

No. Just one for me and one for my cousin. But if the price is right, my cousin don't need to know...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/25/12 at 6:56pm

What song did Marin sing?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#5CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/25/12 at 7:01pm

When There's No One.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#6CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 4:48pm

Love this photo of Marin

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#7CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 4:58pm

Updated On: 9/26/12 at 04:58 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 5:25pm

Is he wearing a wig???

Updated On: 9/26/12 at 05:25 PM

Jim Colyer Profile Photo
Jim Colyer
#9CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 5:37pm

I would never recommend anything from Stephen King because he hates the New York Yankees.

Jordan Catalano
#10CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 5:47pm

Just like you hate anyone that isn't white, Jim Colyer, White Supremacist.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#11CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 5:57pm

Did the Creatives have any sort of Q&A? Curious if they got asked any awkward questions about the Terry Hands version.

Jordan Catalano
#12CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 5:57pm

Nope, no Q&A.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#13CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/26/12 at 11:56pm

I think they were afraid to.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#14CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:10am

^Likewise.

A few months back Frank Wildhorn was very open about the not-so-great experience he had with the team DRACULA worked with. But I guess Carrie is in a totally different ballpark with that one.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#15CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:17am

The creators have been open about it. At the Carrie preview-night-thing last August, the creative team shamelessly scapegoated all of the shows problems on Terry Hands.

Jordan Catalano
#16CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:17am

Those guys were SO nice at the table and weren't afraid to talk to me about the original. I don't think they would have minded a Q&A at all, but the event wasn't set up that way. It was set up as a performance/cd signing. Plus that would have made the event go on for longer than I'm sure they wanted it to. But either way, it was still a very fun and supportive crowd.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#17CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:23am

^ The DRACULA signing had performances too, lasted about 30-40 mins.

Now that they have the new production they've been more open about... but I think they got off easy scapegoating Terry Hands all these years. Did he make plenty of those terrible decisions? Yes... But he had nothing to do with such terrible clunkers as "Don't Waste the Moon," "Dream On," "Out of Blood," "It Hurts to Be Strong," etc.

Jordan Catalano
#18CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:24am

Very true.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#19CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:31am

and who do they blame this time?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#20CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:46am

They're still pretending it was good.

A smart, funny, capable director who isn't terrified of genre storytelling really needs to take a stab at this. Updated On: 9/27/12 at 12:46 AM

Jordan Catalano
#21CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:50am

Look, I'm no CARRIE fanatic (It'll never be a great show) but let's be honest, it's a masterpiece compared to other things like BKLYN. There have been worse shows than CARRIE before and after it.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:52am

^And this production was an improvement, in my opinion. I don't think there's anyone to "blame" this time around. It wasn't perfect, but what show is?

Jordan Catalano
#23CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:54am

GYPSY

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#24CARRIE THE MUSICAL CD SIGNING TODAY
Posted: 9/27/12 at 12:56am

This production was definitely an improvement, but a total bore.

Listening to all the old interviews from Linzi Hateley and Sally Ann Triplet make me realize though that these creatives WANTED a far, far less literal approach and more about the emotion (of course they were terrified of the laughs I'm sure from the 80s still!), particular with the ridiculous red light instead of literal blood at the climatic scene.