pixeltracker

Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?- Page 2

Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#25Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 3:32pm

I've yet to see Mueller display any "inner charm".
The girl has talent in spades and quite a damn fine voice but would anyone consider her a "belter"?
I missed OACDYCSF, I thought she sang WOODS just fine but she was totally miscast. in DROOD she sang well, again, but was way too muggy for my taste. I see her much more of a character actress than leading lady.

She should be offered Fanny in some regional arena to try her chops in the role. I don't think it's a bad idea but she ain't there yet for me.

And Kritzer needs to do MATTRESS before she's too old.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#26Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 3:36pm

little_sally, it's hard to use Helena Landless in DROOD as evidence of anyone displaying much specificity, considering the entire joke of the character is how broad and unspecific the details about her are.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#27Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 3:49pm

Somethingwicked, that may be the joke of the character, but I don't think that means that the actress performing said role cannot be dramatically specific in her choices and her interpretation.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

somethingwicked
#28Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 3:51pm

How can you be dramatically specific when you're playing a character who is supposed to be entirely unspecific? Any broad choice becomes appropriate. Sure, you can do something very specifically odd, but I don't really think Mueller's doing anything more than anyone else who's played the role has done, especially considering how little she has to do. She's not reinventing the comedic wheel.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Updated On: 12/1/12 at 03:51 PM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#29Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 3:55pm

I don't think it's accurate to say you can't make specific choices in a broad role. No one is saying she's reinventing the wheel, I'm just saying that I personally watch her onstage and I see an actress who has a point of view about the roles she's playing, and someone who is making choices about the material, and that is very interesting to me, as it sadly is not as common as it should be. The conversation was about whether Mueller has an innate specificity, and I'm simply stating I believe she does, and I do believe that you can see evidence of that in Drood.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#30Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 3:56pm

I think there is something about her that always makes me feel like I'm watching Leslie Kritzer, and not watching a character or a show. I agree that I have never seen her get lost in a character, and for me, one of the most important attributes in a Fanny is authenticity.

Authenticity? Are we still talking about Jule Styne and Bob Merrrill's FUNNY GIRL? 'Cause I can't believe anyone is arguing the leading lady has to be a character actress!

Nobody who remembered Fannie Brice confused her with Barbra Streisand.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#31Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 4:02pm

"Authenticity? Are we still talking about Jule Styne and Bob Merrrill's FUNNY GIRL? 'Cause I can't believe anyone is arguing the leading lady has to be a character actress!

Nobody who remembered Fannie Brice confused her with Barbra Streisand."

You're right, authenticity was poor word choice. What I meant more was a believability and a charm that carries you through the show. An actress who can sink into the role and really BE Fanny. I always find Kritzer is still "Leslie Kritzer" whenever I see her onstage, and it makes me think she would not really be able to immerse herself into the world of the show in the way that one should.

somethingwicked
#32Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 4:08pm

I don't want to continue to argue with you, but it's hard to understand how you could have possibly thought Leslie Kritzer was simply "being Leslie Kritzer" if you really saw the show at Paper Mill, considering how little we'd ever seen of her at that point. I don't even think all of the roles she's played have afforded her the opportunity to be "herself," since something like A CATERED AFFAIR was so far from what she's done more consistently (and I found her heartbreaking in it.) Appropriately enough, what you're complaining about is something that people have consistently said about Streisand too, for what it's worth.

I'm just saying that I personally watch her onstage and I see an actress who has a point of view about the roles she's playing, and someone who is making choices about the material, and that is very interesting to me.

...and one could say the same exact thing about Kritzer, regardless of how you feel about the specific choices she makes.

Updated On: 12/1/12 at 04:08 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#33Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 4:13pm

Kelly2, I don't know Kritzer's work. (I live on the West Coast.) But I certainly remember when the primary complaint about Barbra Streisand was EXACTLY what you are saying: "she always plays herself; you can never forget you're watching Barbra Streisand; she can't let go of her mannerisms (much less her nose);" etc.

That's why I am bemused by such an argument here. I have no opinion on the casting of Kritzer or Mueller, though I wonder whether a first-class FUNNY GIRL can survive financially without a star.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#34Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 4:14pm

Different strokes, I guess. Not a fan of Kritzer's, though obviously she has many admirers.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#35Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 4:18pm

And I don't know her work, Kelly2, so this is not a quarrel between you and me.

Actually, I think FUNNY GIRL was specially tailored to suit Barbra Streisand's gifts rather than to be true to Fannie Brice. But I admit I only know Brice from a few clips and short reels.

The real question may be whether any of us can accept a Fannie Brice that is NOT an imitation of Streisand?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#36Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 4:25pm

A page late, but I want to echo Gaveston and TheatreDiva's comments about "Music That Makes Me Dance." Such a gorgeous song, and perfect for the role and play--I hate that the movie got rid of it (I also miss "Who Are You Now" though I think that song is let down by its lyrics.)

I wish the plan (if it was even official) to have Lauren Ambrose in the role would have come through. I think she really could have done a great job, and made people (partially) forget Babs.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#37Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 4:31pm

I had MY tix, Eric. (Though I wasn't exactly devastated to have to see FOLLIES instead.)

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#38Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 7:52pm

I don't see the love affair some of you are having with Jesse Mueller.
And to play Fanny Brice??? Jessie Mueller is too bland.
I did not think she was that great in OACDYCSF. She was ...well...bland.
I saw her in the reading as well as on Broadway and was unimpressed both times.
I was surprised she got a Tony Nomination.
In fact she sang out of one side of her mouth and lacked the charm and quirkiness of Barbara
Harris, or Kristen Chenowith or Streishand --all of her predecessors in the Clear Day roles
I did find her enjoyable on right on the money in Edwin Drood and she made me laugh but it was more cause she was doing that Indian Mug thing and it was so different from anything I've seen her do before. Please give Jesse Mueller work. All actors should work. Just not Fanny Brice.

Updated On: 12/3/12 at 07:52 PM

bobs3
#39Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 10:09pm

Who the hell is Jessie Mueller and why would anyone want to PAY to see her in a revival of FUNNY GIRL (which by the way is not a very good musical, it was designed as star vehicle for Barbra Streisand). By the time FUNNY GIRL opened Streisand was already a famous recording star with 2 Grammy Awards including Album of the Year and 2 number 1 albums on the Billboard charts with 2 more number 1 albums to follow shortly after FUNNY GIRL opened. Again, WHO THE HELL IS JESSIE MUELLER and why would anyone pay $135.00 to see her in a revival of FUNNY GIRL? Updated On: 12/1/12 at 10:09 PM

bobs3
#40Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 10:35pm

Gaveston: So sorry, I didn't read your post before I posted mine which basically says the same thing you did.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#41Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/1/12 at 11:02pm

It doesn't have to be like this, you know. We can also be kind to one another's divas.

CurtainPullDowner
#42Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/2/12 at 12:04am

Mueller has a way to go before she's anyone's Diva.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#43Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/2/12 at 12:31am

Don't get the totally miscast in ITW at all. She made Cinderella her own and it worked. Splendidly. Why do people get fixated on what a role should be? If Cinderella had been played the way Mueller played it in the original production and it was subsequently played the way Crosby or Benanti did it, and as well, people would say Crosby or Benanti were fine but were miscast.

bestfreakinshoes
#44Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/2/12 at 10:50am

I'd go see Jessie in Funny Girl. I'd be willing to pay money to see her any day over Lauren Ambrose or Lea Michele or whoever the hell they would cast. (I still think SJB would be great, but I know people think her acting would be not up to par and now I guess she's getting too 'old'.)

Besides Donna Murphy, she was my favorite part of Into the Woods and she is one of my favorite parts of Drood as well. And I've been to the show with friends who didn't even realize it was her, so I don't think you can say she doesn't disappear into a role.

That being said, I would like to see her in a bigger role first. Either way, I find her a very genuine performer and can't wait to see what she does next.

Updated On: 12/2/12 at 10:50 AM

CurtainPullDowner
#45Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/2/12 at 10:58am

Henrik, I agree there are many ways to play a role, but my opinion is that Cinderella's arc is that she's a rose underneath her dusty trappings. When she gets spiffed up she is breathtaking, the most beautiful girl at the ball. For me Mueller did not pull that off. That's the story, and it can be played by various actresses but I say miscast because she didn't have that "it" thing the character needs. I know others may disagree.

Owen22
#46Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/2/12 at 1:24pm

I would definitely go see my Jessie in "Funny Girl"!!

But

This show is not going to happen until Lea Michelle is available. And it shouldn't happen without her. So, sorry Jess.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/2/12 at 1:28pm

...it can and probably will.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#48Jessie Mueller as Fanny Brice: Why has this not happened!?
Posted: 12/2/12 at 1:41pm

Give me anybody but Lea Michele! Oh, and fix that damn book. It's horrible! THEN I might go see it. Mueller is not a bad choice at all, but I, too, was wondering what Lauren Ambrose would do with it. She has a terrific voice and a great sense of humor.