pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 108

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2675SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 6:24pm

Exactly and I can tell you that they've asked Hilty to perform if she comes. For irony sake I hope she performs "They Just Keep Moving The Line".

Marnie2
#2676SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 6:25pm

I did say IF.........

Although all the predictions point to it being so...am really hoping they are wrong! For all its faults I love SMASH and I will miss it if its cancelled

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#2677SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 6:27pm

TVLine spoiler on SMASH Tony Awards...

Question: Call me paranoid, but the latest Tonys development on Smash — that Ivy Lynn is now also a contender for Supporting Actress for the short-lived Liaisons — has me worried she’s going to lose Lead Actress in a Musical race to Karen “Iowa!” Cartwright. Say it ain’t so! –Rose

Ausiello: Lest we forget, the Tonys are like most other industry awards shows: Politics plays a part. And let’s just say a little blind item in the Village Voice concerning a certain leading lady’s extracurricular activities — including an affair with a former costar’s fiancé — might have an adverse effect on her chances at taking home a statuette for either side of her mantle.

http://tvline.com/2013/05/07/greys-anatomy-season-9-finale-death-ask-ausiello-spoilers/

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2678SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 6:42pm

What is an "upfront"? I am unfamiliar with that term. TIA.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#2679SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 7:02pm

An upfront is when a network (NBC) presents their new fall schedule to advertisers in the hopes that those advertisers will invest and buy commercial air time in the shows. I went to last year's at Radio City where Hilty and McPhee sang "Let Me Be Your Star" while the judges from The Voice (except for Blake Shelton, who I believe was celebrating his anniversary) came out in their red chairs and pressed their buttons for the ladies. I have it on video, but I don't know how to post it.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#2680SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 8:05pm

@DramaTeach how did you get to go to the upfronts? Do you work in the biz?

FindingNamo
#2681SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 11:01pm

Robbie, when I got home from the RENT movie the night it opened I had a message that my mom had had the aneurism that killed her a few days later so there is NOTHING anybody can complain about in that movie that has any resonance to me. Despite my knowing its shortcomings.

I found myself not minding the RENT aspects of the story, and obviously we knew that was where they were headed.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#2682SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 11:07pm

Why is it so terrible that they're doing a RENT theme? I sure don't think it's the worst thing about this program, lol. It's fun to watch, but come on, the whole thing is so stupid!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#2683SMASH
Posted: 5/7/13 at 11:25pm

Exactly and I can tell you that they've asked Hilty to perform if she comes. For irony sake I hope she performs "They Just Keep Moving The Line".

Forget irony. She should tweak the lyric to "They just keep moving the time" with a nod to the network execs.

Marnie2
#2684SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 1:37am

^^^
Ha!!!!!she should!!! LOL!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#2685SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 11:09am

'Why is it so terrible that they're doing a RENT theme?'

I don't know. It didn't bother me in the least. But I know others are bothered by it.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#2686SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 11:18am

Yeah, I don't get the venom of it. I think it's silly that they haven't at least mentioned it if even with a throw away line like, "This feels like Jonathan Larson all over again."

Rent clearly exists in that world and for none of these Broadway people to mention the similarities of Hit List, the Line, Kyle's death etc to Rent is what I think people take offense to.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#2687SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 12:04pm

The Jonathan Larson parallels are reaching a bit in my opinion. It all feels like false outrage to me so a few people can come here and have something else to bitch about and find further fault with the show. Some people are so desperate to have people agree with them so they can feel like they belong to something no matter how insignificant.

Updated On: 5/8/13 at 12:04 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#2688SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 12:13pm

^ Well...I'm not about to tell anyone else how to feel. I just don't feel the same.

And perhaps no one is mentioning the Larson parallel on the show because it's so glaringly obvious, no one needs to say anything?

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#2689SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 5:39pm

Kyl3Fong2, a friend of mine is in the business, so I was able to go along.

SporkGoddess
#2690SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 5:42pm

I just think it's lazy storytelling. At least L&O SVU changes more than one thing about the story they copy from real life.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2691SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 6:18pm

And perhaps no one is mentioning the Larson parallel on the show because it's so glaringly obvious, no one needs to say anything?

I'd say probably not, because it would be the first and only time Smash has shied away from stating the glaringly obvious.

Marnie2
#2692SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 6:38pm

You might think that but I read an awful lot of tweets during the last episode where it seemed to be only dawning on a lot of people!!! :)

I just think it's lazy storytelling. At least L&O SVU changes more than one thing about the story they copy from real life.

erm, they did change more than one thing, the composer didn't die, the names are different, the show is different, it happened after the off broadway opening, the cause was a car accident.......etc etc

Updated On: 5/8/13 at 06:38 PM

SporkGoddess
#2693SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 6:59pm

But all of the things that they changed are superficial.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2694SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 7:02pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was never "outraged," though I did think it was a little tacky, just because - like others said - it was pretty lazy. Frankly, if Smash were a better constructed show, I think the response would have been less "outraged." And I again I can't speak for anyone else, but my opinion on of this show are formed on my own and I've never been desperate for agreement from anyone on them.

SporkGoddess
#2695SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 7:11pm

The AV Club gave this episode an F and they didn't even mention the Larson thing.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2696SMASH
Posted: 5/8/13 at 10:35pm

You have to admit its interesting that NBC just hasn't come right out and made a decision.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#2697SMASH
Posted: 5/9/13 at 11:12am

"And I again I can't speak for anyone else, but my opinion on of this show are formed on my own and I've never been desperate for agreement from anyone on them."

Phyllis...I did not have you in mind when I said "Some people are so desperate to have people agree with them"...You always state your opinions with reasons to support the way you think.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#2698SMASH
Posted: 5/9/13 at 12:15pm

My cable provider finally got the last two episodes up on their "OnDemand" menu so I'm all caught up now.

I have to admit that I felt a little "let down" by Kyle's death. I knew it was coming and for a show that can be as dramatic as Smash walking off a curb without looking simply seems anticlimatic. I was hoping Jimmy's brother was going to be involved.

Photo Flash: First Look - SMASH Goes to the Tonys on Season Finale

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#2699SMASH
Posted: 5/9/13 at 12:16pm

SMASH

Arghhhh!! Looks like Hit list is going to win.
First look at the tonys

Videos