pixeltracker

Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....- Page 2

Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#25Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 8:29am

I would love to see Whoopi take on that part. I'd much rather see a production of this starring her WITHOUT Denzel than one with him.

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#26Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 9:34am

I love Denzel. But he's definitely too old. By like 25 years.
The last revival was wonderful. Why do we need to see it again, with the same director? Rashad and McDonald were astonishing.... It seems way to soon to even try to do again, especially with the TV version of it available on DVD.
I am with others who say they'd rather see Denzel in something new. Or at least something we haven't seen in a long time, if he must do a revival.

Mattbrain
#27Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 9:53am

How old was Danny Glover when he did it?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

OrdinaryJukebox
#28Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:01am

First of all, the world does not need an All-Black "Gypsy." Sorry, but, NO!

Secondly, one of my all-time favorite plays being revived with one of the worlds most overrated actors??!! I simply can not. It was bad enough when Puffy Diddy Honeycombs or whatever his name is took the role, but now this??!!

I would LOVE a revival of this show; however, I'd like it to be done with an all-white cast ... lol

I'd like to see it done with talented actors who are age appropriate and who are not one-trick ponies. There are a TON of actors out there right for this!!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#29Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:03am

Mattbrain, Danny Glover was 43 when he did the filmed version in 1989.

Younger Brother, opposite Washington, it would probably be smarter to cast Anika Noni Rose as an older Beneatha and use someone of Viola Davis's age and stature for Ruth. I love Loretta Devine, but she's only five years older than Washington, so she isn't right for Lena either. As someone else suggested, they're going to have to use someone like Ruby Dee or Mary Alice as Lena for this production to work.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 12/28/12 at 10:03 AM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#30Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:17am

I would actually love an all-black version of Gypsy.

But anyway, why don't big name throw their support behind new works? People will see them in anything anyway, so why does it have to be another production of the same ten plays?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:24am

Exactly. And there's some more age appropriate August Wilson plays that are in need of revivals if Denzel is against something new.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#32Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:37am

Exactly, Jordan. SEVEN GUITARS would be a great, age-appropriate vehicle for Denzel.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#33Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:37am

@OrdinaryJukebox: Sarcasm just isn't your forte is it?

Pity.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#34Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:38am

There are only four plays and three musicals. That's it.

And we're going to see them over and over and over again.

I can't wait for the revivals of Gypsy and Streetcar next year. It's been too long!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CarlosAlberto
#35Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:40am

Don't forget ReNt! WE NEED ReNt back!!

Jordan Catalano
#36Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:40am

Denzel IS Angel.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#37Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:42am

Is he more right for Sky or Nathan?

Guys & Dolls should be back next year as well.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#38Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:42am

Why stop at Angel? Why not a one man Rent?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jordan Catalano
#39Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:43am

Denzel as Angel and Lisa Whelchel as Mimi

CarlosAlberto
#40Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:44am

^ Fvck yeah!

Jordan Catalano
#41Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 11:45am

Well I mean, a Christian Mimi.

OrdinaryJukebox
#42Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 12:01pm

It's totally my forte. What did you misunderstand?

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
#43Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 4:13pm

You forgot about Grease. Denzel could be Angel in that too!

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#44Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 8:24pm

If everyone "ages up", how do they explain their 25-year old son still sleeping on the couch?

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#45Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 9:41pm

I'm seriously tired of mega-stars who have been around for three or more decades thinking they're "twenty-something."

Enough! You're old and everyone knows it. Play someone your own age. You've earned it!

If Denzel has got to revive a classic play, he should play Willie Loman in Death of a Salesman. That hasn't been on Broadway now in months and is well overdue for a revival.

Honestly, are there no good new plays being written? Anywhere?

Baby Jane Washington.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#46Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/28/12 at 10:37pm

LOL. The title of this thread is somewhat misleading. I thought it was a revival of the musical version, "RAISIN".

Me, too! Why don't they revive that instead? Has there ever been a revival of that musical?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

OrdinaryJukebox
#47Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/29/12 at 12:27am

I agree, Best12Bars; people dont seem to be writing interesting pieces anymore. If they do, they're only limited engagements off-broadway. "Rapture, Blister, Burn" was amazing. I'm looking forward to "The Other Place." You know what, "Chaplin" wasn't half bad. I'd like to see more original work and fewer revivals ... unless it's "Gypsy." Personally, I'm not mad at an "every-few-years" revival of that one. :P

Jordan Catalano
#48Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/29/12 at 12:30am

Well now, hold on. Denzel as Rose has a nice ring to it. I think with the right director it could be pretty fantastic and just what next season needs.

OrdinaryJukebox
#49Denzel to star in 'Raisin'....
Posted: 12/29/12 at 9:51am

If there is to be a gender-blind casting of "Gypsy," can't Russel Crowe tackle Mama? I mean, he's demonstrated his vocal prowess in "Les Miz," so it seems fair to give him a shot.

Meanwhile, if gender-blind casting takes place anywhere with anything, I need someone to cast me as Martha in "The Children's Hour," but I digress ... :P