pixeltracker

CINDERELLA Previews Thread.- Page 17

CINDERELLA Previews Thread.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#400CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/1/13 at 11:59pm

Sorry, I overlooked that. I'm excited for Whizzer to see it closer to opening night so he can note the differences.

degrassifan
#401CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/2/13 at 1:01am

"What a presumptuous, asinine and offensive statement to make."

Really? As opposed to all the other mean things you have said in this thread? Um, ok! I respect your opinions and thank you for your review, but nothing I said was asinine or offensive.

Anyway, so the political jokes are gone? I guess that cuts down the running time a bit. They really should have had an out of town tryout, even though they had a four week intense workshop presentation, but that's not the same thing.

After Eight
#402CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/2/13 at 8:18am

^

Calling people naive to expect to see what they know as Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella when they buy tickets to something billed as Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella-- as opposed to some political screed-- is indeed offensive. And asinine, too.

Show some respect for the people out there. And the people in here, too.

Belle9 Profile Photo
Belle9
#403CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/2/13 at 11:20am

Hmm. I wonder what it means that there are no more political jokes. There were only a handful of actual jokes related to politics, while the rest of the show just had the politics entwined with the plot. I doubt if they've revamped the whole thing, but getting rid of the mildly offensive jokes is certainly a step in the right direction.

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#404CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/2/13 at 3:37pm

I would've had Jean-Michel a little more svelte and a little more sexually tense with the Prince. That wouldn't advance the plot, but it would make it more entertaining for me.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#405CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/2/13 at 9:36pm

Wondering about current run time? Trying to decide if we want to drive in or take the train in next week to see the show. Thanks.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#406CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/2/13 at 9:48pm

Show some respect for the people out there. And the people in here, too.

Your hypcrisy is offensive and asinine.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

chellie
#407CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 12:28am

Saw it today and we had a lovely time. Possible slight spoilers follow... The costuming is striking in some instances and the battle with the tree monster was quite entertaining (I'd guess they made some cuts there, as it was only two or three minutes and then the prince fights an offstage dragon to further prove his bravery).

I don't have anything to compare it to, but it didn't feel overly political and there were no "edgy" current event jokes, which I find quite off putting most of the time. Plot-wise in terms of the whole revolutionary arc, Jean Michel catches Cinderella's ear with his talk of corruption in the palace, so at the ball she tells the prince of all the injustice and he's surprised by it. Later, she organizes a meeting for Jean Michel and some townspeople to talk to the prince and Jean Michel needs a lot of prompting from Ella to remember what he wanted to say.

To me, at least, it seemed like Jean Michel wasn't the one who changed the kingdom, he was the one with the idea and Ella is the one who had the chutzpah to make it happen. Which was good, because in a show called Cinderella you want to root for her, not a supporting character. CINDERELLA Previews Thread. Also, there wasn't really a "upper class is all jerks" theme; it was more "the prince's advisor is a jerk," which is a theme that seems much more fitting for a fairy tale than what was described for the first previews.

Of course, as others have been saying, Laura Osnes is a gem who really shines as a triple threat in this role and Santino Fontana's dopey prince was somehow both appealing and believable as someone who was genuinely surprised to find out the state of his kingdom. Victoria Clark is wonderful, but -- and it feels very odd to say this given Clark's immense talent -- Osnes outshines her in most of their scenes together.

It ran about 2 and a half hours, including intermission. Some kids were getting antsy but for the most part the audience seemed to enjoy it and I did as well CINDERELLA Previews Thread.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#408CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 9:31am

Thanks for the update, Chellie!

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#409CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 9:48am

Thanks, Chellie.

Curious about two things. First, is there still no staged curtain call? And second, how did the audience react at the end? Someone posted a day or two ago that there was no (seemingly obligatory) standing ovation, which is so unusual in today's day and age (unfortunately, IMHO).

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

chellie
#410CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 11:03am

They all took their bows at once and then sang a bit of the finale. It was a quick curtain call. About half stood (we were not among them); I really enjoyed it and applauded fairly heavily, but I tend to be reserved about giving a standing ovation -- although I might have given in if they had done a curtain call where Osnes was last as she truly was marvelous.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#411CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 11:14am

Thanks for the update, Chellie. Sounds like they're getting the right mix for that plotline.

degrassifan
#412CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 12:55pm

Thanks for your review and update, chellie! Sounds like the show is taking shape.

miminy Profile Photo
miminy
#413CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 7:16pm

I went twice last week and didn't notice any changes. On Friday I received an email
survey asking for reactions and opinions. So they are interested in audience feedback.
Lots of misinformation regarding the glass slipper. The shoe sequence (SPOILER) is
as follows. As she runs down the stairs at the stroke of midnight she leaves a shoe
on the steps. Before she exits downstage right she turns, runs back and grabs the shoe. So end of Act 1 - no shoe- kids in the audience are visibly upset.
Act 2 - after the banquet she runs down the stairs as the clock is striking midnight.
Before she exits, she runs back - places the shoe on the steps and exits. There is a
satisfying Ping from the orchestra and a spotlight shines on the shoe. The prince
grabs it - holds it up to the audience and says "HA!"

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#414CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 7:54pm

Before she exits, she runs back - places the shoe on the steps and exits. There is a
satisfying Ping from the orchestra and a spotlight shines on the shoe. The prince

Hmmm I like it...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#415CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 8:15pm

I heard from someone who should know that they are indeed listening to feedback not only from those surveys but from their Facebook page, ATC and BWW, and there is some significant re-writing taking place which will be evident next week. So maybe they're really trying, and I hope Whizzer gets back the week before opening to let us know if there's been improvement from his perspective. That's not to say that many haven't loved the show as is, because they have, but if it can be made better, great. I also look forward to seeing the numbers tomorrow, as the show seems to be drawing well, based on ticket availability.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

After Eight
#416CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 8:22pm

"Before she exits, she runs back - places the shoe on the steps and exits. There is a

"Hmmm I like it"

Hmmm, I don't.

chellie
#417CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 8:28pm

When she hands him shoe after the banquet it's actually a funny little moment, well-pitched -- it breaks the fourth wall and doesn't at the same time. I really didn't have an issue with Cinderella not accidentally leaving her shoe. I think it was intended to show a little bit of independence that she went back and got it after the first ball.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#418CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 9:01pm

I have to say that Ann Harada gives a fantastic performance. She has such dry and funny line readings.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#419CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 9:16pm

Eh. I don't like that. Why not just have her lose her shoe as she's leaving? THat's the story.

nasty_khakis
#420CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 9:28pm

She also choses to leave the shoe in "Into the Woods" so this idea isn't exactly new or that unsettling.

After Eight
#421CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 11:42pm

^

I wouldn't use Into the Woods as a model on how to present a fairy tale properly.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#422CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/3/13 at 11:53pm

I'm glad to see they are listening to feedback. Most shows that I have friends in say the creative team hears it and just doesn't care.

chellie
#423CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/4/13 at 3:53pm

I have to say that Ann Harada gives a fantastic performance. She has such dry and funny line readings.

Wholeheartedly agreed, although I think by comparison, Marla Mindelle could've had better lines to work with. The whole show I don't think she says one cross word to anyone (in fact, she says "Oh, that's horrible!" when her mother makes a joke about Cinderella), which doesn't seem very fitting given the character's background. If she's been so nice all the time, then why on earth is Cinderella so surprised by it?

I think that it actually might have been a vast improvement for her character if she'd started out even slightly mean -- maybe even something as innocuous as joining in a few jokes with her mother and sister -- and then gradually came around. It would've made the idea that she would later help Cinderella much sweeter and MUCH better fit with the "evil stepsisters" that everybody knows as a part of the story.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#424CINDERELLA Previews Thread.
Posted: 2/4/13 at 4:05pm

The one thing that Harada had me laughing was at the end when she went to try the shoe on and she just said "Hi, me again", "look it did fit, WHAT A SURPRISE" then just walked off the stage. A perfect moment for me.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-