pixeltracker

Liza Minnelli and "Cabaret" co-stars reminisce at 40th anniversary screening

Liza Minnelli and "Cabaret" co-stars reminisce at 40th anniversary screening

mdundaswood
everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 10:33am

Wished me and the 250-300 left outside with passes (including several Broadway actors I spotted) could've shared the experience. Literally the line outside when it was cut off went from the theatre down to 6th, back up to the theatre, and then back down to 6th.

We laughed, but there were hundreds of pissed off people there, one of whom took his consolation prize DVD (not Cabaret) and flung it at the doors of the Ziegfeld.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#2Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 2:29pm

Liza Minnelli and

I had the good fortune of being able to leave work early yesterday to attend the screening at the Ziegfeld in NYC last night, and had a great time. Got on line at 3:15pm and was second in line. We were let in at around 6 and got very good seats, albeit a little closer than I would have preferred. But hey... the passes were free, so no complaints. I was, however, really surprised at the number of reserved seats. I'd estimate that well over half of the seats were reserved, and the Ziegfeld seats in the neighborhood of 1500, I believe. So, no surprise that so many were left out in the cold. We were told by a TMC rep that those who were turned away were given a copy of the movie as a consolation price. I assumed it was a copy of the CABARET Blu-ray, but guess not. That sucks.

It was great seeing Liza, Joel, Michael and Marissa, and watching them interviewed by Robert Osborne. The entire interview was approx. 30 minutes. And then the movie. I've read really good things about the Blu-ray restoration and have already ordered my copy, which is being released next Tuesday, but I have to tell you, I was really unimpressed with the picture and sound quality at the Ziegfeld. I certainly hope the Blu-ray looks and sounds better than what I saw last night. Still is was fun seeing it again on a big screen (with an enthusiastic audience) for the first time in nearly 40 years. I wouldn't wait in line for close to 3 hours these days for many things, but no regrets that I made an exception for Liza and CABARET.

Liza Minnelli and

Liza Minnelli and

Liza Minnelli and

Updated On: 2/1/13 at 02:29 PM

Rainbowhigh23
#3Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 2:39pm

"Wished me and the 250-300 left outside with passes (including several Broadway actors I spotted) could've shared the experience. Literally the line outside when it was cut off went from the theatre down to 6th, back up to the theatre, and then back down to 6th. We laughed, but there were hundreds of pissed off people there, one of whom took his consolation prize DVD (not Cabaret) and flung it at the doors of the Ziegfeld."

I saw that some lucky latecomers were used as seat fillers in the VIP area. Kind of wished I had walked to the restroom and then came back and pretended to not have a seat!

redmustang
#4Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 5:26pm

All right. I've seen the photos. I'll ask it. What's wrong with Liza.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#5Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 5:33pm

What's wrong with Liza?

Don't you mean what's wrong with Michael York?

There's no way he looks 10 years younger than Joel Grey

Liza Minnelli and

Have I missed something somewhere?!

bestmus2
#6Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 5:34pm

I'm glad you've asked.

I was at the event last evening and thought that the right side of Liza's face looked droopy/immobilized. It was obvious enough to me (from the fifth row) that I thought she was definitely going to explain it during the interview. Most of the news outlets are talking about how great she looks and while she certainly pulled herself together, it was clear that something was not exactly right.

Does anyone know if she has recently been unwell? I worry.

Liza at the Zigfield

redmustang
#7Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 5:38pm

I saw photos of Mr. York when Cabaret premiered on the West Coast last year, and was shocked then. He is unrecognizable. Have we all aged so badly?

algy Profile Photo
algy
#8Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 5:39pm

Red Mustang - I flat out didn't recognise him. He's not even recognisable as Basil Exposition and the last Austin powers is only 10 years ago.

He also looks like he's sporting two black eyes in the photos from the most recent event

redmustang
#9Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 5:44pm

I thought Liza may be having an episode of Bell's Palsy. It's a paralysis on one side of your face, especially noticable when you smile, which she seems to be avoiding in the photos. I had an episode several years ago. It is not a stroke. Only the facial muscles are affected. Goes away in several weeks, but can reoccur.

bestmus2
#10Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 5:57pm

The yellowing/bruising around Mr. York's eyes first became apparent in 2009, at which point he began to wear dark glasses to most red carpet events. Around 2010 his appearance changed drastically - almost overnight - and he began to look as he did at the Cabaret event last evening. I do not know the details, but I have heard he is unwell.

I too thought Bell's Palsy when I saw Liza at the Zigfield last night. I was just surprised that Liza - who usually puts out a press release about every broken ankle and knee replacement - didn't address it during the interview. It was her uncharacteristic silence - while very much her prerogative, of course - that worried me.

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#11Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 8:00pm

I read that Michael York has cancer. Multiple Melanoma, I believe.

Liza either has a case of Bell's Palsy, or she's had some work done recently and her face hasn't completely settled yet. It was even more noticible during her Today Show appearance on Wednesday.

Updated On: 2/1/13 at 08:00 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#12Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 8:21pm

I have had a couple friends and a step mother as well, come down with Bell's Palsy. Liza looks like she has it. Everyone it strikes tends not to smile but keeps a very "neutral" expression to try and cover it.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

algy Profile Photo
algy
#13Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 8:50pm

Thank you for the information about Mr York. I hadn't seen any pictures of him since the Austin Powers premier days so I was shocked. I did notice however that the British Daily Mail didn't make their usual unflattering comments about his looks - only comments on how old they all look, which is why I wondered if I'd missed something. I sincerely hope that he doesn't have cancer and that he isn't ailing, but I agree that he looks unwell.

I was devastated when I saw the photos - he was so handsome and he looks so different and ill.

The British Daily Mail didn't bother with any photos of Liza from the event (in fact she got so little mention that I assumed that she wasn't there!) so I can't comment on how she's doing - although perhaps her absence from their coverage is significant?!

Yawper
#14Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 10:08pm

Michael York has Multiple Myeloma. It's a cancer that attacks blood plasma cells. It's effect on him started showing in late 2009.

Michael York Updated On: 2/1/13 at 10:08 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#15Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/1/13 at 11:17pm

Liza Minnelli and

FYI this was our consolation prize. I do wonder if they had enough for everyone.

Those that actually got in, did they use the Blu-Ray version of the film, or did they use an actual print?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 2/1/13 at 11:17 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#16Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/2/13 at 1:50am

This thread is a real downer.

Also, this is probably why Liza cancelled on Kathy Griffin a little while back.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$
Updated On: 2/2/13 at 01:50 AM

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#17Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/2/13 at 3:23am

The myeloma protocols are particularly nasty stuff. The usual treatment is to get them in remission & go for transplant either auto or allo. If they fail transplant or can't stay in remission ( and therefore not a transplant candidate) they treat w on going chemos just to try to control the disease. Mr. York looks like he is on a boatload of prednisone. He has my sympathy if he's rec'd tx since 2009.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#18Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/2/13 at 8:10am

I was shocked at Michael York's appearance and his frail voice. I didn't recognize him either. The first thing I thought was cancer. So sorry to hear this. Liza's interview answers were clear as a bell, though. She may be crazy as as bed bug, but I love how her mind works especially when talking about the creative process. She's thinner now, so even though she may be suffering from Bell's Palsy (or something else), I thought she looked better than I'd seen her in the recent past.

At the same time, it takes an enormous amount of courage to show up (or to leave the house, for that matter) when you're sick, not to mention seriously ill.

These people showed up because they love each other, and it was a chance to celebrate one of the most important artistic events in their lives. They could all be together again, perhaps for the last time. Whatever fears they might have had about their appearance or their stamina to get through it were unimportant in comparison.

So ultimately, with the sadness of learning that time and illness has taken its toll on them, a joyful celebration brought them all together again. I could tell in their eyes that despite the expected comments about their health and age, it was well worth it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 2/2/13 at 08:10 AM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#19Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/2/13 at 12:50pm

It was great seeing this cast back together to celebrate this film. Michael York was one of my first crushes...fell in love with his beautiful face when I first laid eye on him in Zeffirelli's ROMEO AND JULIET. I'm saddened to learn he is ill. It's reality. We all age and some of us are not so fortunate and get sick...we think our idols will stay young and beautiful and immortal. We are reminded that they too are human.

Liza does look like she is suffering from Bell's Palsy, hope she recovers soon.

Joel Grey looks FANTASTIC. He's been around for such a long time. The other day I was surprised to discover he was in the 1960 romantic comedy COME SEPTEMBER opposite Rock Hudson, Gina Lollobrigida, Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee. He played one of Bobby Darin's college buddies.

Marisa Berenson was also one of my childhood crushes. Such an ethereal beauty. I was dazzled by her features and her beautiful eyes. She gives a wonderful performance in CABARET and is too often unfairly overlooked. I'm glad she got to participate in this...she looks as beautiful as ever!

algy Profile Photo
algy
#20Liza Minnelli and
Posted: 2/2/13 at 3:10pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Best Wishes to Mr York going out from here.

Best12 - I thought what you said was very eloquent and accurate and would wish to be identified with those sentiments from across the pond in Blighty.

Videos