pixeltracker

Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy? - Page 2

Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#25Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:02pm

In the new film of Gypsy, Steisand plays a very old Mama Rose, sitting down and reflecting on her life done in flashback, which is then played by a younger actress and Streisand's voice sometimes playing over the "memory" scenes.

OK, just thinking aloud here.

#26Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:23pm

I'm not trying to be obtuse- but when we speak of "the rights" to a musical being sold to the movies, we're speaking of the fruits of a whole team of creators- plus others who might "own" a part of the show. I would assume (feel free to correct me) that the rights to the show were (are still?) owned by David Merrick and Leland Hayward (well, their heirs) who produced the show. They (as producers) signed contracts with the creative team (Styne, Sondheim, Rose Hovic, Jerome Robbins) that spelled out their share of any subsequent sales or productions and any codicils those creators could come up with (Like Robbins insisting that any future production proclaim "Originally staged by Jerome Robbins").

This all gets spelled out in contracts. Now I've heard talk for years that Laurents had to "sign off" on ANY production of Gypsy done any where at any time but I always assumed that was "just talk." But I suppose- Gypsy WAS his idea and he did have some clout back then.

Sondheim, aside from being the most talented man to ever trod the boards and a certifiable genius from age 12 on, DID NOT have the clout back then. So does he really have the authority to put the kibosh on a multimillion dollar film with a word?

#27Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:25pm

PS I have read that Merrick sold his rights to Hayward during rehearsals- but his name is still listed on IBDB as "Producer"- so I guess it's time to plumb another Broadway truth....

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#28Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:47pm

>>In the new film of Gypsy, Steisand plays a very old Mama Rose, sitting down and reflecting on her life done in flashback, which is then played by a younger actress and Streisand's voice sometimes playing over the "memory" scenes.<<

While Rose is in the police station under investigation for murder!

Gothampc
#29Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 3:48pm

Sondheim is just a puppet. If you want to know who is really driving this decision, you have to look at who the puppet-master is.

Now we all know that there is one person who has more control over Sondheim than anyone else in this world. This person holds a dark, horrible secret over Sondheim's head. It's a secret that was learned one fatal night at an event that was intended to be a joyous celebration. This secret was stumbled on quite accidentally when a certain party guest, opened the wrong door and stumbled upon a secret so macabre that nobody in polite society would dare speak its name.

If you really want to know who killed Barbra's chances with the Gypsy movie, you need look no further than Angela Lansbury in the hallway with a polaroid camera.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 2/28/13 at 03:48 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#30Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 4:26pm

Brilliant story,Goth- truth or just delicious dish?

Sounds like a sequel to The Last Of Sheila.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#31Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 5:11pm

Let her direct and play one of the strippers.

Catherine Z Jones can play Rose and Gaga can be Louise.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#32Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 5:21pm

Commercially speaking, Madonna as Rose and Gaga as Louise are the best team for it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I already hear the complaints about Madge's vocals, but even those of you complaining would buy tickets. Don't lie.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#33Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 5:25pm

I certainly would not...and I ain't lying.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#34Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 5:27pm

I thought Gaga doesn't appear in another guise other than Lady Gaga, even at home?

Updated On: 2/28/13 at 05:27 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#35Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 5:28pm

Commercially speaking, I don't think Madonna is a box office draw.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#36Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 5:33pm

I wish Madonna would do another musical with a really great director. I'd also like Alan Parker to do another musical ASAP.

#37Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 5:40pm

"Commercially speaking, I don't think Madonna is a box office draw."

Truer words have never been spoken. NEVER.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#38Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 6:10pm

^ Of course not, not on her own. But the combo of her and Gaga, plus their feud in the press, plus the gimmick of the "mother" and "daughter" thing... it fits. I'd even go one step further and let Streisand direct them in the roles.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Jordan Catalano
#39Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 6:15pm

Please no Gaga.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#40Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 6:17pm

Madonna, Gaga, and Streisand all in the same room together, for months! Yeah, that would go well.

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#41Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 6:31pm

Is it disgusting that I kind of really like the idea of Catherine Zeta-Jones as Rose?
Probably.
Honestly, I loved Natalie Wood's Louise so much, but I don't think I consider anyone to be the definitive Rose yet, so I don't hate the idea of people playing with the role. Not Madonna though. Anyone but Madonna.

"Nice is different than good."

Jordan Catalano
#42Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 6:40pm

Really? Anyone but Madonna?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#43Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 6:47pm

Nobody should direct herself as Rose.

(I could add least of all Streisand and much less Streisand at this age, but that would be de trop)

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#44Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 7:12pm

Is it disgusting that I kind of really like the idea of Catherine Zeta-Jones as Rose?

Not disgusting, but delusional unless you are imagining a non-musical version.

Catherine Zeta-Jones is not a singer! We already have one movie-musical version with a non-singer in a role written for one of the greatest singers in Broadway history. We do not need another one.

Gothampc
#45Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 7:13pm

"Brilliant story,Goth- truth or just delicious dish?"

I made that up. But there is a funny rumor that one time an actress (some say Lee Remick, some say Angela Lansbury) opened the wrong door at Sondheim's house and walked into his dungeon and saw a boy hanging there in a leather harness.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#46Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 7:15pm

I still want to see:

Angela Lansbury as Elektra

Chita Rivera as Tessie Tura

Elaine Stritch as Mazeppa

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#47Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 7:30pm

IF we're going with the Madonna/Gaga/Streisand trio (and only if) then I'd like to see:

Harvey Fierstein as Mazeppa

RuPaul as Elektra

Lypsinka as Tessie Tura

Jordan Catalano
#48Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 7:36pm

I want an all drag movie of GYPSY and I'm not even joking.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#49Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 7:45pm

I'll take an all drag GYPSY over one starring Madonna, Gaga or Streisand.