pixeltracker

Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy? - Page 3

Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#50Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:14pm

"Really? Anyone but Madonna?"

Ok, fine, not ANYONE but Madonna... but she's at the bottom of my list.

And I don't consider CZJ to be a singer but I don't consider her to be a non-singer either... does that make any sense? She was a West End performer before she became a big moooooovie star and she was actually quite good. (She was Peggy in 42nd Street at 17).

If they do a remake, I think I would really like to have some kind of interesting spin on Rose though. There are so many "AH LOOK AT ME I AM MADAME ROSE MWAHAHAHA" Roses out there, but the real Rose was not really like that. June Havoc said a while back that the only realistic Rose she's seen was Bernadette Peters. Maybe we could see a Gypsy that's more based on the real story?

"Nice is different than good."

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#51Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:38pm

That boy in the harness wasn't Anthony Perkins, was it?

No, that would be pyscho.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#52Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:47pm

I don't think Gaga is right for such a traditional role.

In terms of current pop stars, Katy Perry is much more appropriate in matching the burlesque aspect of the character. Not sure if she could act it.

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#53Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 8:58pm

Speaking of me being disgusting... I like Katy Perry.
Lady Gaga would be a horrible Louise. Katy might be decent, but probably not. Honestly, casting is not going to be perfect though, so unless they're actually planning on doing something new, I don't really understand why they feel the need to do Gypsy again. And it's one of my favourite musicals but still.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#54Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 9:15pm

If Streisand doesn't do GYPSY, is she yet old enough for MAME?

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#55Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 9:24pm

Didn't you guys see the Gullt Trip?????Barbara on film doesn't look a day older than 50. Heck She can pass for 40's. Trust me.. 70 is the new 40. Well okay 50. And to hear that voice and that personality as Rose!! It would be amazing. And what a career capper!!!! And I think this Sondheim disapproving is being blown out of proportion. Just because some gossip columnist says its so.. doesn't make it so. Gossip columnists love to stir the pot. That's their job.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#56Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:18pm

"That voice?" Did you watch the Oscars? There's no way Streisand can sing Rose any more.

If the rumors are true that she recorded tracks for Rose's songs 10 years ago, they should just release those for download.

"And I don't consider CZJ to be a singer but I don't consider her to be a non-singer either... does that make any sense?"

Yes, but you're comparing Peggy Sawyer--a role originally written for dancer-but-not-really-a-singer Ruby Keeler with a role written for Ethel Merman!

Tyne Daly couldn't really sing it either, but she's one of the greatest actresses alive. CZJ is not in that league.

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#57Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:23pm

Yeah, I see what you mean. Honestly, I really don't see why they're doing this. We already have a movie of Gypsy, and although Rosalind Russel was not the best Rose, Natalie Wood really hit it out the park (probably because Gypsy is essentially her life story), and there have been SO many great Roses already. Streisand can't sing it, as we learned from the Oscars. Why don't we just let Gypsy take a break?
Gypsy - the hardest working show in show business.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#58Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:24pm

I don't really see Sondheim putting a stop to this either. I know hehas spoken out against production of his plays that make major changes (ie a gay take on Company, or doing Merrily chronologically)--but otherwise he prides himself on allowing people to try new things with his plays as long as they're true to the text. Of course this would be a big budget Hollywood picture, not a small regional one, but...

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#59Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:27pm

I can't imagine they're not going to play with it, tweak it somehow.
(p.s. I'm from Montreal too)

EricMontreal22
#60Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:32pm

(I only spent ten years there--but I miss the city, nice to see someone else from it here :) )

I kinda agree. (then again if CamMak really wants to make a new Oliver, that seems even odder, since we already have a movie that's arguably better than the stage version.)

Of course, I'm a fan of the Bette Midler production myself. Yes she's too over the top for the small screen, but I appreciate how faithful it is to the stage version, lots of the performances, the original choreography, etc. (of course both editions of the DVD are out of print.)

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#61Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:37pm

I've seen that version (it's on youtube in full, if I'm not mistaken) and I enjoyed her Rose too, but I seem to be the only person who genuinely cares about the part of Louise. She's one of my dream roles... And I consider Natalie Wood to be the definitive (Laura Benanti was quite good too).
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I adore Bernadette's Rose.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#62Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:40pm

Yep. You are literally the ONLY person who cares about that.

EricMontreal22
#63Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:40pm

Oh Wood is the best thing in the original Gypsy film for me--she's just ideally cast, IMHO. I think Cynthia Gibb was pretty good in the TV remake (she actually looks a lot like Wood,) but I agree with you.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#64Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 10:46pm

Can we just agree that GYPSY doesn't and will not work as a film and just leave it on the stage where it belongs?

I'm sure there will be another revival in oh, two to three years or so.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Caring Soul Profile Photo
Caring Soul
#65Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 2/28/13 at 11:03pm

To all the concerned ageists: yes, we saw at the Oscars that la Streisand looks terrible and can't sing anymore.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#66Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/1/13 at 6:11pm

Emma, I think it's a shame we don't have a great film version of GYPSY. There's nothing inherently non-cinematic about the show.

And I care very much about Louise: she's the emotional center of the show, at least until "Rose's Turn." Nan Tucker replaced her sister Zan Charisse and played Louise with Lansbury in Florida. Nan's "Little Lamb" and "All I Need Is the Girl" reduced me to tears every night. And her "Strip" was hilarious and glamorous at the same time. (And she was taller even than Lansbury, which allowed for a great moment at the very end when Angie put her head on Nan's shoulder. The child became the mother of her mother.)

Caring Soul, I don't think it's ageist to acknowledge the obvious: based on recent live performances, Streisand can't sing the part any more. That isn't to say she should stop singing, just that some roles are now beyond her. Which happens to every singer and takes nothing away from one of the most legendary careers of the past century.

Eric, if Midler was too big for the small screen, what would she have been if she were 40 feet high? What a shame! That should have been the keeper.

But back to agreeing with Emma: unless the perfect film casting comes along, let's forget about a remake. Somebody will revive it on Broadway any day now.

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#67Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 4:48am

"I'm sure there will be another revival in oh, two to three years or so."

Maybe Imelda Staunton's version will transfer. Any news on if that's still happening?

jimmycurry01
#68Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 11:45am

of course both editions of the DVD are out of print.

Actually it will be back in print this month in one of those double feature DVDs. It will be paired with the Glenn Close South Pacific.

http://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-South-Pacific-Musical-Mini-Series/dp/B00B04NJ2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362242996&sr=8-1&keywords=gypsy+south+pacific
Updated On: 3/2/13 at 11:45 AM

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#69Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 10:30pm

The Oscars showed Shirley Bassey could sing Rose.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#70Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 11:09pm

Maybe Imelda Staunton's version will transfer. Any news on if that's still happening?

I thought Imelda Staunton wasn't really interested in doing any extended engagements in the US. Is that true or am I confusing something?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

AEA AGMA SM
#71Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/2/13 at 11:52pm

You are correct, givesmevoice. There was never any talk of it actually transferring to the US, just a lot of wishful thinking. She did indeed state that appearing on Broadway was not something that interested her because she didn't want to spend an extended period away from her home.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#72Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/3/13 at 1:44pm

I could definitely see Gaga as Louise, she certainly has the voice, she can act and her strip would be beyond spectacular.

As far as I'm concerned Barbra could still sing Rose. We can't judge her based on her Oscar's performance (which to me was perfect) because that song is not at all the like the Gypsy music. She wasn't belting there.

I hope that they will still do the film even if Barbra's out because there are so many legendary Broadway divas, who deserve to have their big break on Hollywood.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#73Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/3/13 at 9:53pm

all that jazz, did you see her "Live at the Village Vanguard"? Same voice and lack thereof.

You think maybe there's a reason she isn't belting the high notes any more?

She's still a unique stylist with much to offer as a singer. She just isn't up to singing songs written for Merman.

And as for Shirley Bassey, are we kidding? She rightfully had "Goldfinger" in the key that showed off her one remaining, "money" note. That's a far cry from singing a Jule Styne score. Not to mention that Bassey would have been in her late 60s when Louise was born.

I love both singers, BTW, but I'm not deaf. Are we just posting random notions in this thread?

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#74Sondheim doesn't want Streisand to direct Gypsy?
Posted: 3/4/13 at 12:16pm

"I'm not trying to be obtuse- but when we speak of "the rights" to a musical being sold to the movies, we're speaking of the fruits of a whole team of creators- plus others who might "own" a part of the show. I would assume (feel free to correct me) that the rights to the show were (are still?) owned by David Merrick and Leland Hayward (well, their heirs) who produced the show. They (as producers) signed contracts with the creative team (Styne, Sondheim, Rose Hovic, Jerome Robbins) that spelled out their share of any subsequent sales or productions and any codicils those creators could come up with (Like Robbins insisting that any future production proclaim "Originally staged by Jerome Robbins").

This all gets spelled out in contracts. Now I've heard talk for years that Laurents had to "sign off" on ANY production of Gypsy done any where at any time but I always assumed that was "just talk." But I suppose- Gypsy WAS his idea and he did have some clout back then.

Sondheim, aside from being the most talented man to ever trod the boards and a certifiable genius from age 12 on, DID NOT have the clout back then. So does he really have the authority to put the kibosh on a multimillion dollar film with a word?"

Producers do not generally own any continuing rights to a show. (Other than the first right of refusal to produce a subsequent first class revival.) It would be the creators, and for the purposes of this discussion, that includes Sondheim. It matters not that he was not a well known entity at the time. He was the lyricist, and is a part owner of the piece (and in all likiehood, and equal owner with the Composer, and Librettist). Without seeing all the contracts involved, I can't speak to exact specifics, but there is absolutely no doubt that Sondheim could and does have a lot of legal rights when it comes to productions of anything he has contributed to. Generally, someone like MTI would hold (administer) the amateur rights to the production, but anything First Class (Broadway, National Tour) or Movie, or TV would be administered by the actual rights holders (or their agents or lawyers).

So no more talk of "Can Sondheim really do that?" The answer is "Yes, he can."

Videos