MATILDA Previews

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#50MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:11pm

Just got out of the show as well. Oona is adorable and held her own as the lead. She is tiny and had a pretty good voice. Had issues with her British accent though and was a bit hard to understand at times. Bertie Carvel, thank you for transferring. Even better than I imagined. Lauren Ward seemed like she took some singing lessons in the interim. She sounded better than the recording I thought. Stand out for me was Lesli as Mrs. Wormwood. I rolled during Loud. Also, Telly is most certainly still in the show. There was a line change in it, I believe there was something about Bronte which I don't think is in the recording. There's another line change somewhere in one of the earlier songs but can't remember which. All in all a fantastic evening of theater. And very tight for a first preview. Shout out to the little kids who really gave it 110%. Really well choreographed and in sync. Highly recommend.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#51MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:11pm

"Telly" still opens the second act. I've only heard the cast recording and everything was basically the same. The En'racte wasn't really present (cut down A LOT), but otherwise no big noticeable changes. Sound was probably the biggest technical issue tonight, but I'm sure that's something that will be fixed in time.

JohnyBroadway
#52MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:14pm

That shower pic is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen. Is there a tony for the cutest couple? Steele and Doyle would win.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#53MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:27pm

WOW! I don't know if I can form thoughts, let alone sentences, but I'll try to share some scattered thoughts. The only thing revolting about these children is how sickeningly talented they are. Hands down they are my favorite ensemble currently working on Broadway.

The opening sequence is really amazing. Peter Darling's choreography is insane; movements are precise, staccato and executed so deftly by the cast that I couldn't believe it.

I don't really want to spoil anything, but there is a sequence of musical staging when Matilda has her first day of school that is near perfection. Two boys are standing outside the school gate and blocks with letters are pushed through from A to Y (Z is saved for later). The lyrics of the song have a word that starts with each letter as the block is pushed through and one of the boys touches the block as a tight spot hits the letter. It was all the magic and whimsy you could want, but really it was the tip of the iceberg. Warchus gave us surprise after delightful surprise, and I think he has finally rivaled his genius direction of The Norman Conquests.

The score is quirky, jaunty and FUN. It helps immerse you completely in Matilda's world. Both the score and the production capture the essence of Dahl's novel.

RippedMan- You are going to go nuts over the set and lighting. The whole thing was like a carnival of moving jigsaw puzzle pieces. The lighting design is extraordinary.

I also couldn't want more from the cast. Lauren Ward is exactly how I envisioned Miss Honey, and what a voice! All the hype about Carvel is warranted; he's a scene-stealer for sure.

Oona Laurence was our Matilda and I loved her. The role is so large that they are really taking a risk allowing such young girls to take it on, but the gamble paid off and I give Oona all the accolades I can.

Matilda is 100% must-see entertainment!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#54MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:30pm

This excites me!

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#55MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:33pm

Thought this was just okay in London. Did anyone who saw it tonight see the production in London? Has it improved significantly?

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#56MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:33pm

Tried to see this five separate times in London this past summer, looks like it's going to be just as hot of a ticket here!

Still can't get over how beautiful the inside of the theatre looks!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

WhizzerMarvin
#57MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:38pm

The inside of the theater is indeed beautiful. All the tiles with the letters are great. I felt like I was walking into Wonderland (the place, not the muscial) when I entered the Shubert.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#58MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:45pm

I'm wondering if this should be my one show this season that I splurge on and buy full price tickets to. I'm seeing it next week in the cheap seats, but am already debating buying another ticket later in the run in the orchestra. Haven't been this excited about a new musical since BILLY ELLIOT.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#59MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:45pm

SO EXCITED!!!!!! i gotta see this ASAP!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#60MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:46pm

Wait, if "Telly" is in the second act why is the cast recording fu*ked up? The entr'acte track even leads right into "When I Grow Up."

WhizzerMarvin
#61MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:49pm

I was in the balcony and loved it up there. The view is great, and honestly so much happens on the floor of the stage that I would strong suggest sitting in either the mezz or the balcony.

TheatreKid3
#62MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:02am

CATSNY - "Telly" serves as an intro to Act II that takes place as everyone is getting back to their seats. It's kind of like the way ONCE begins - but not as spontaneous. After "Telly," the entr'acte starts and Act II begins.

Updated On: 3/5/13 at 12:02 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#63MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:05am

^Ah! That makes more sense. Thank you.

After Eight
#64MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:12am

Well acted, imaginatively staged, choreographed, designed.

And offputting. A rather disagreeable tale (those awful parents), and a protracted bore. I couldn't wait for it to end.

There were two ok songs. The rest of the score was uninteresting.

Bertie Carvel is giving a great performance. When he's on stage, the show comes to life. When he's off stage, it's moribund.

dave1606
#65MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:21am

The show is truly fantastic.

Matthew Warchus's speech at the beginning (which was funny as it played like an award show acceptance speech) was not even needed because the show ran so smooth for a first preview. There were a few minor mishaps like a desk getting stuck and a costume piece on stage right in the beginning, but nothing that interrupted or took away from the action.

What makes Matilda work is that the foundation for the story is so strong to begin with. Matilda is a character to cheer for, and you become so endeared to her by the end of the show. It is so rare to actually care about the characters onstage these days, that I found this particularly thrilling.

Bertie Carvel is absolutely amazing and should and will get a tony nomination (and maybe even a win) for his performance. He stole every scene he was in, and made for such a delectable villain.

The next obvious star of the show are the kids. They are really thrilling to watch. The choregaphy is so perfect and thrilling to watch, and they delivered, especially for a first preview. Oona was excellent as well. Matilda is an extremely demanding roll for such a young girl, but she seemed unfazed and very comfortable onstage. I would be interested to see the other three do this role.

There were so many standout numbers for me its hard for me to remember them all. My favorite song in the show is definitely When I Grow Up, but Revolting Children was also just as thrilling. Finally, the moment that hooked me on the show was the first day of school moment with the block letters. It was so inventive and brilliant.

Overall I just can't recommend this show enough. It is a funny, smart, and creative show with a heart. A rare triumph that has everything I would want in a Broadway show.

Londonskyguy
#66MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:23am

Thanks for letting us know that the desks still rise out of the deck.. I haven't seen the show yet. But I am now so excited to know about what was probably a stunning visual, Perhaps there are more exciting, and surprising things you could tell us about.. Things that perhaps would have been better experienced with out any prior knowledge. Please do tell us more!

WhizzerMarvin
#67MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:34am

dave, you're right about the show having so much heart. During the last 20 minutes I wanted to clap after every little thing Matilda did; we had become her cheering section and we weren't going to let up until she tasted triumph.

I can't wait to go back to see this again. I can't focus on anything right now. All I can do is play the cast recording and try to relive the experience in my mind. I wish it had never ended.

massofmen
#68MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 12:59am

is this going to kill ANNIE and all the other family shows? i mean is it a date night as well as a family show? who does it sell to?

WhizzerMarvin
#69MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 1:10am

I don't know if it will kill Annie, at least right away, but it is very much more than a family show. Perfect for date night, go to the theater by yourself night, school groups, Jersey and Long Island bus groups, tourists, New Yorkers- every demographic of theatergoer is covered.

mamaleh
#70MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 1:30am

I was there tonight too, and had a great time. Just wish I could have understood more of the lyrics. Oona Laurence was a feisty, fierce Matilda, but she did seem to rush through her songs too much, making, again, some lyrics incomprehensible. Great seeing Matthew Warchus come out to address the audience, warning that some glitches could occur, but assuring that they wouldn't stop the show. But nothing very serious came to pass--just a food prop rolling off a table at the beginning.

Bertie Carvel was delightful and surprisingly nimble. To whoever asked, yes, the desks still rise from the stage floor. The choreography is so angular and precise, one false move and a kid could get injured. But everything went like clockwork. Amazing to see, as is the set, composed of what appear to be hundreds of letter blocks or Scrabble letters. The entire cast was in fine form; nice to see Ryan Steele although I was surprised he doesn't regularly play the flamboyant ballroom dancer Rudolfo. That role is really tailor-made for him, and he was hilarious.

I sat in the fourth row of the balcony and was afforded a great view of all the goings-on. I don't think I'd want to sit up close for this one; too much happens on the stage floor.

The Shubert was packed and will likely remain so while Matilda is the tenant.

Updated On: 3/5/13 at 01:30 AM

April Saul
#71MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 1:47am

Okay, I'm getting tickets! But guys, I am a dedicated front or first few rows kind of person; is that definitely a mistake for this one? High stage?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#72MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 2:03am

GAHHHH SOOOO HAPPY TO READ THESE THOUGHTS! I hope to see this one this summer! Why were aisles put into the Shubert?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

DeNada
#73MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 7:07am

Whizzer, so glad you enjoyed the show.

One question about the School Song (the alphabet one). You say Z is saved for later - how does the song end? Do they still talk about "phys ed"? It was always a slightly odd reference even in the UK as we call it PE, and they need the reference for a lyric in The Smell Of Rebellion as well, but obviously you guys say "zee" instead of "zed" so I was wondering if Tim Minchin had changed the lyric entirely.

WhizzerMarvin
#74MATILDA Previews
Posted: 3/5/13 at 7:41am

DeNada,

When I said Z is saved for later I just meant that they never push through a block with the letter Z on it (or at least I didn't see it.) I only saw the Z on the chalkboard right at the end of the song.

They left the lyric as Phys Ed here too. I remember when I was little and the first time I heard Henry Higgins say, "In France every Frenchman knows his language A to Zed," and I had to ask my parents why he pronounced Zee incorrectly, ha. I can't say for sure if they americanized much of the book, but Mr Wormwood still describes the faulty cars as "knackered(?)," etc. I loved all the British-isms though- it added to the exotic fantasyland that was Matilda's world.

Videos