Backstage Visit Etiquette

Precious3 Profile Photo
Precious3
#1Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 3:44pm

On the list to pop backstage to visit a friend starring in a show, what's the appropriate etiquette? Do I bring flowers? Is that only for Opening Night? What if it's later in the run? or in previews? Just curious if anyone has any advice here...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 3:55pm

There's no rule for or against bringing flowers. If you feel like doing it and you know the person well enough that it won't be overkill then go for it. If you think it's more appropriate to just bring yourself, that's fine too! I brought a friend a six-pack once. Do what you want to do! Backstage Visit Etiquette

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 3:58pm

It's your friend. What would they like/expect? Why are you asking strangers?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Precious3 Profile Photo
Precious3
#3Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 4:14pm

Just wanted to poll those w/ more B'way experience than myself. Thanks!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 4:19pm

I think it depends on the level of closeness to the friend. If you have been friends so long that it is very casual, then just bring yourself and socialize or go for a drink after. If it is a more of an acquaintance, you may wish to bring a token of esteem.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Bubba2 Profile Photo
Bubba2
#5Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 4:46pm

It's a fine question to ask. As you are new here, you'll find nice as well as not so nice answers to questions, thoughts, etc. Welcome to the message board. Back stage is not a magical place but a work space. Just try to stay out of traffic areas where folks are coming and going and you'll be fine. If your friend likes flowers then bring em. Those are a few of my thoughts on the matter. Have fun.

Hi there.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#6Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 5:09pm

Unless it's one of the newer theaters, it's going to be much smaller than you think. Watch your head when going down stairs! Bring whatever your friend will like (remember most dressing rooms are tiny, so overly fragrant flowers can be annoying- and you don't know whom they may share a room with).

In general: Stay out of people's way, don't touch anything (you'd be surprised how many people will just pick up props/costumes without asking- don't do it, no matter how tempting), don't take photos of anyone without asking, and most of all, don't overstay your welcome. But have fun!

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#7Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 6:47pm

Fart loudly and comment on the aroma!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#8Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/12/13 at 6:53pm

Backstage Visit Etiquette

I'm sure a nice simple gift would be appreciated. Also, another poster mentioned not to dawdle too much. That makes sense. Enjoy! from RC in Austin, Texas P.S. Gosh, I just realized it's almost 7 years to the date since that picture was taken.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#9Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/13/13 at 10:44am

On most occasions, going backstage does not really mean going into dressing rooms, etc. There is often a small waiting area where people congregate while waiting for the actors to change. Sometimes it's at the bottom of a flight of stairs that lead to the dressing areas.

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#10Backstage Visit Etiquette
Posted: 3/13/13 at 10:59am

The only time I was backstage was to visit a friend of my wife's from HS (Robert Cuccioli)along with another old HS friend. Actually, we did not stay long. He was very sweet and introduced us quickly to Linda Eder and Christianna Noll and then we headed out to dinner. I told my wife before we got into restaurant I would pick up the tab for dinner and she agreed that would be real nice. Like others have said, do whatever you feel comfortable with depending on your relationship with your friend. IMO - if it is a female friend I think flowers would be a nice thought.

Updated On: 3/13/13 at 10:59 AM

Videos