pixeltracker

I need help picking a last show!

I need help picking a last show!

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#1I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 12:30am

I am going to NY the last week of april and will be seeing: Macbeth, Vanya Sonya Masha and Spike, Matilda, Pippin, and Phantom (Family choice). I was going to try to revisit Sleep No More but due to the Macbeth schedule I now have my saturday afternoon free and so I have come to terms with the fact that I wont be able to see it. There is just now way I'll make a late night show after Phantom or Pippin and not feel crunched for time.

I want to see something new to this season and my big 3 that I am considering are The Big Knife (I love Booby Canavale), The Last 5 Years (love the music but wonder if I just need to wait for a cast album or if the production is truly great) and Lucky Guy (I'm not so much big on the star casting as much as Tom Hanks apparently is wonderful in it). Thoughts on my 3 suggestions or something else that's brilliant that I'm missing.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#2I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 12:38am

I found The Last Five Years a pretty small meal. Lightly entertaining for the time you were watching but not much more.

Hugely impressed with The Nance tonight. Richly funny and and emotional. A great big feast of a play.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 1:22am

Skip THE BIG KNIFE. See ANYTHING else.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#3I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 8:06am

I will be seeing The Nance soon and have spoken to a few who have already seen it and highly recommend it based on Lane's performance alone.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 8:36am

I've heard simply wonderful things about 5 Years.

I've heard mixed about the Nance.

And yes....avoid The Big Knife.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#5I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 8:43am

"I need help picking a last show"

Sounds like you're ready to expire.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Luv2goToShows
#6I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 9:03am

I saw the 2nd preview of The Big Knife, thought it was a bit boring and flat, but maybe that will change.

As far as Lucky Guy goes, I did not think it was anything spectacular. Yes, Tom Hanks was good, but I was not blown away by his performance. Maybe because I had high expectations to be.

Not seeing The Last Five years until mid April.

Did you consider Hands on a Hardbody or Kinky Boots? Yes, they got mixed reviews, but I thought both were very enjoyable.

Emmaloucbway
#7I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 9:41am

I enjoyed The Last Five Years, haven't seen any other shows you mentioned.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#8I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 1:07pm

Oy it is sad to hear at The Big Knife isn't so great, I must see Canavale at some point in my life time. The nance is intriguing and I also missed Kinky Boots when it was here in Chicago. Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like with last five years I can just wait for a cast recording. Anything good off broadway right now? I'm mad the public doesn't have a matinee on Saturday and that Hit the Wall is apparently not nearly the hit it was here in Chi.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 6:02pm

How can we tell if waiting for the cd is enough? Only you can make that decision. I just know quite a few folks that have said it's wonderful.

Other off b'way to consider: Peter and Starcatcher.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#10I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/30/13 at 10:40pm

Good call, Dramamama-- Peter and the Starcatcher is perfection (at least the broadway version last year was). Funny and heartbreaking and gorgeously staged, all about the magic of theater. Hands down the top pick for me. And if you're here on a Monday, consider Sleep No More. We loved it.

aaronb
#11I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/31/13 at 1:06am

The Revisionist!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#12I need help picking a last show!
Posted: 3/31/13 at 2:31pm

Who's Booby Canavale?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611