pixeltracker

Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival

frowninghour
#1Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:32pm

Willkommen to Broadway, Emma Stone?

The "Easy A" and "Amazing Spider-Man" star is in talks to star in a revival of "Cabaret," according to an individual with knowledge of her plans. No deal has been set, but if she takes the role, it would mark her Great White Way debut.

Stone would play Sally Bowles, the American underground club singer whose life and checkered love affairs form the spine of the Weimer Republic-set musical. The character has previously been portrayed -- to awards and acclaim -- by actresses including Judi Dench, Natasha Richardson and Liza Minnelli.

The Roundabout Theatre is planning the revival at Studio 54, composer John Kander told to the New York Times on Wednesday. The Times reported that Alan Cumming will reprise his Tony-winning role as the Emcee in the production.

Stone's representatives and a representative for the Roundabout declined to comment.

Details have yet to be finalized, but the production will be mounted in 2014, according to the Times.
Source: The Wrap

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:34pm

Stone's representatives and a representative for the Roundabout declined to comment.

I'll start being interested in this news when it's official. Fool me once...

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

rorschach37
#2Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:35pm

Really?! That's surprising. I loves me some Emma Stone, but she said a few years back that while it was a childhood dream of hers, she just doesn't have the voice to perform in a Broadway musical eight times a week.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:42pm

I really like Emma Stone, but I think she reads too young for Sally.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:43pm

She has as much of a voice as former Sallys Jill Haworth, Judi Dench, and Natasha Richardson. Sally isn't supposed to be a great singer.

Although in Liza's defense, the role works with a good singer as well, because there ARE good singers out there, belting it out in clubs, who will never be famous (for any number of reasons).

By the way, they say "American" singer here. Sally is British in the play. Does that mean they're swapping the roles like they did in the film and Cliff will be British?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#5Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:44pm

Too innocent, too, Kad. Sally is supposed to have 'lived'. She is all wrong for the role.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:46pm

She's 24 now. Liza was 27.

Jill Haworth was 21.

Musicaldudepeter
#7Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:46pm

Stone is 24. Jill Haworth was 20 when she played the role in 1966. Stone has a very knowing quality, not innocent imo... Her roles in Easy A and The Help show this quality off very well

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#8Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:47pm

best-but she's not sophisticated enough. Liza and Jill Haworth projected someone who was older and had been through more. I think that's the difference.

I'd like to see non-stunt casting, although that's a fantasy.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#9Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:47pm

I actually kinda think Emma looks like Jill in the OBC. If you slather on the same amount of makeup ...

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#10Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:50pm

I guess. I just don't see someone who still plays teenagers as Sally. In a way if Sally is older (as the latest revival demonstrated to me), the decisions she ultimately makes are more tragic.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#11Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:52pm

My first reaction was "this is random." The more I think about it, the more I could see it working really well.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#12Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:54pm

I agree Sally has lived a lot, but my impression is she started young.

There are a lot of teenagers out there who have "lived" enough for 40-year-olds, and look it, too.

She could approach it from the Lindsay Lohan POV (without the celebrity). I find that just as sad. Someone who is old before their time, trying to be innocent, but aging far faster than they should, in the process.

I think Emma could do the role justice, definitely.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:57pm

Define "lived a lot". Because there's some 12 year olds who've sadly "lived" more than any of us ever will. Be it on the streets, in abusive homes, child stars, etc. To say someone who is in their mid 20's hasn't "lived enough" doesn't make any sense if that can't be backed up with information to prove it. And Emma Stone (and yes, I agree that this is a random choice. WONDERFUL and random) has the acting chops to pretend that she's "lived".

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#14Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 12:58pm

I guess I'd prefer someone 'raunchier'. She's way too goody goody for me to believe she's working in a dive as a semi-prostitute (in fact, I'd almost believe the line she was on a school trip from "Don't Tell Mama").

Again, you say she started young-well, how young? 12? That was what was good about the last revival-the person who played Sally was rarely under 30.

The Nina Arianda idea works best for me. She can act, and although slightly under 30, has the sophistication the role requires.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#15Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:05pm

I'm sure the "the American underground club singer" was just written by someone who only knows the movie.

With the exception of the last Broadway revival, Sally in generally played by someone younger anyway, isn't she? And Stone is a fine actress. I'd honestly much rather see her in the role than Anne Hathaway, who may be a wee bit older but would probably play the role as a cloying child, starved for everyone's approval. Updated On: 4/26/13 at 01:05 PM

bigbelterbaby
#16Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:06pm

I really doubt this will happen like with Hathaway.

but with those rumors out there they must REALLY want an 'it' girl in the role and probably have made offers to others just to see if they will accept. who are some other 'it' girls that could play this role ?

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

broadway guy
#17Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:08pm

yeah This isn't happening..

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#18Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:10pm

I'd like to see Reese Witherspoon do it. I mean, she's been on COPS and everything. Bitch has LIVED.

bigbelterbaby
#19Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:31pm

tomrw they will announce Quvenzhane Wallis is doing it.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#20Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:34pm

Jordan-If Hathaway played the role as you described it I think she'd be the most like the original Sally of Isherwood's novel.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#21Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:34pm

I would have loved to see Anne Hathaway do it, but I think this is a fantastic choice, if it's true.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#22Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:35pm

bigbelter... who do you think youre kidding, we know Jada Smith would never let Q get the part.

I would love love love to see natalie portman do it.

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

ghostlight2
#23Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:47pm

I can see Ms Stone looking the part. Playing it? Not so sure.

Nina Arianda would be brilliant.

bigbelterbaby
#24Emma Stone In Talks for Cabaret Revival
Posted: 4/26/13 at 1:49pm

could Scarlett Johansson do it ?

Videos