pixeltracker

Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie- Page 2

Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#25Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:53pm

I like Johnny and I KNOW he can play the Baker, but like others have said, he's going to have to resist the urge to pull out his usual bag of tricks and play it straight.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:55pm

Who I would rather see as the Baker and His Wife ...

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

BewareTheUndertoad
#27Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 4:57pm

I REALLY hope it's for the Mysterious Man and/or Narrator.

He is NOT right for the Baker but I fear with Rob Marshall at the helm and the idiocy he has previously displayed in casting, he will try to squeeze Johnny Depp into a part that doesn't suit him.

However, he'd be brilliant as the Mysterious Man.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#28Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:02pm

Aren't we tired of him and his "quirky, look at me" takes on roles already?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#29Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:02pm

I actually saw the Baker going along this route. Not sure if Law can even carry a tune. But, I think he could pull it off quite nicely.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#30Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:05pm

To me, Law would be a great wolf/prince.

Like Depp, he's a little too "sly" for the Baker.

Updated On: 4/26/13 at 05:05 PM

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#31Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:10pm

When I read this headline I immediately thought of the Mysterious Man. I agree that the immediate image of Depp as the Baker does not work, but I also understand those that think he could do a good job. I'm just hoping that they cast this film right...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#32Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:13pm

And if the rumors (only at this point) are true about Witherspoon, I don't see her and Depp having much chemistry at all.

re: The Narrator ...

When was the last time Depp took a supporting role ... especially in a major Disney film?

Even the Mad Hatter was elevated and expanded to a leading role.

I don't want Into the Woods to suddenly be all about the Narrator with six added scenes and four added songs.

Updated On: 4/26/13 at 05:13 PM

BewareTheUndertoad
#33Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:33pm

There's no real leading role in Into the Woods. Even the Baker and Baker's Wife fit more as Featured. It's an ensemble piece. True, the Baker and Baker's Wife are the two that hold the story together and without them there would be no major narrative thrust, but they still function as part of the ensemble cast.

Wildcard
#34Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 5:43pm

Johnny is playing Cinderella as Carol Channing

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#35Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 6:10pm

I don't want Into the Woods to suddenly be all about the Narrator with six added scenes and four added songs.

True but, correct me if I'm wrong; isn't "Alice" now public domain? Burton could basically do what he wanted without having anyone to answer to as far as the Carroll estate is concerned.

Sondheim may love Depp but I doubt he'd compromise his work just for casting's sake. But, I could be wrong.

I will agree, however, that I can't see Depp and Witherspoon having much chemistry. If this casting proves true, I hope they prove otherwise.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 6:13pm

When I saw this, I assumed he'd be Cinderella's Prince.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

bobs3
#37Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 6:20pm

So is this the Baker and His Wife?

Hmm ...

You could probably bet money on it and win.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#38Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 6:22pm

Kad, these are just rumors but, from what I heard, they may be trying to skew a bit younger with the princes (depending on who winds up at Cinderella/Rapunzel).

Take this with a grain of salt but, I've heard whispers of them approaching "Robert Pattinson-types."

Not sure how that might fly.

nydirector2
#39Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 6:29pm

I think he is actually perfect for the Baker. Remember that it is The Baker's Story being told by the Baker's Father(with a little intervention when needed)...and The Baker continues this cycle with his own son at the musical's finale. Depp has proved he is a wonderful father figure(for whom The Bakers serves with Jack and Red) and story teller in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and Neverland. If the film follows the rules of the original, then I believe that Depp should play the Role of the Baker.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 6:31pm

I just remember the Javier Bardem and Catherine Zeta-Jones were announced for Guido and Claudia in NINE, and both pulled out of the project.

... one can only hope ...

I just want them to get it right.

If you have to cast stars, okay. But at least cast the right ones for the parts.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#41Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 7:09pm

I agree with others, he doesn't seem like the obvious choice for the Baker IF that's what they are eying him for. But he is capable of it. It all seems to have got lost amongst Jack Sparrow, the Mad Hatter and now Tonto, and he's always leaned towards the quirky, but as someone mentioned, you only have to look at Finding Neverland and some of his earlier work, Chocolat, The Man Who Cried, even something like Benny & Joon or Dead Man to know that he can do the quiet roles too.
He seems to be lining up quite a few projects at the moment though, and there are plans to turn the Lone Rnager into a franchise if it goes well, so I guess we'll see. I'm not against it though.

vf
#42Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 7:31pm

What's with all the lack of enthusiasm? I thought Depp was terrific in Sweeney Todd, reviews for his performance were very good, even NYTimes opera critic loved him in it (linked), he was nominated for an Oscar for it. He's still the biggest movie star in the world I think, what's the problem? Someone suggested Jude Law instead without any idea of whether he could sing??? Depp can sing Sondheim, he's not going to butcher it, he can be a great actor, this movie will get 12 times the interest it would otherwise, it will probably get a bigger budget which will help it to do better, if it does the box office a lot of his movies do it will surely improve the chances of other movie musicals being made. It's all good!!!

Sometimes I think people like to complain about the Depp/Burton pairings, I mean literally they like to complain about them, it's like a trendy thing to say, but I'd rather see any new or old Depp/Burton genial, imaginative, not grisly movie than 98% of the schlock that opens each weekend. (But they can hold the Helena Bonham Carter casting) And while POTC is kind of a marketing machine still I like his Jack. Surprised at the lack of enthusiasm.
An Actor Whose Approach to Singing Lets the Words Take Center Stage

Mattbrain
#43Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 7:45pm

vf, I agree wholeheartedly with you!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

beautywickedlover
#44Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 7:47pm

This article actually says that he might be playing the Wolf.

"In what would be a key supporting role, Depp will play a hungry and sexy variation of the fairy tale wolf character."

Johnny Depp to Star in Disney Musical 'Into the Woods' Updated On: 4/26/13 at 07:47 PM

frowninghour
#45Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:31pm

Looks like Streep and Depp are basically confirmed. Deadline says their deals are "almost wrapped." http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/johnny-depp-and-meryl-streep-deals-almost-wrapped-for-into-the-woods-movie/

So more casting coming soon probably. I really want to know who Emma Stone is playing, would be pleasantly surprised if it's not Cinderella.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#46Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:35pm

If Depp is playing the wolf, I'm all on board for that.

Surprised he'd take a role that small, but maybe Disney's goal is to fill it with stars in many of the supporting roles.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#47Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:37pm

What about Gwyneth Paltrow as the Baker's Wife?

beautywickedlover
#48Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:38pm

The Variety article has been updated:

"Depp will play Baker."

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/johnny-depp-in-talks-to-join-disneys-into-the-woods-exclusive-1200419236/http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/johnny-depp-in-talks-to-join-disneys-into-the-woods-exclusive-1200419236/

Entertainment Weekly says it also.

"Meryl Streep will reportedly play the evil witch, a character originated on Broadway by Bernadette Peters, and Depp would play the baker."

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/johnny-depp-in-talks-to-join-disneys-into-the-woods-exclusive-1200419236/http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/johnny-depp-in-talks-to-join-disneys-into-the-woods-exclusive-1200419236/

I just don't know if Depp will bring the depth that Chip Zien brought to the role.

jimmycurry01
#49Johnny Depp In Talks for INTO THE WOODS Movie
Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:39pm

If he is the wolf, then I look forward to it.