Cradle Will Rock

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#25Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/9/13 at 11:05am

I think givesmevoice is correct. I don't think they ever sold any balcony for these production (except maybe VIOLET). I bought my tickets the first day they went on sale and the balcony was already listed as sold out, which made me think they never put it on sale at all.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#26Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/9/13 at 11:08am

I'm perfectly happy with fifth row mezz on the side.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#27Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/9/13 at 11:20am

I'm certainly content with my first row mezzanine seats, which are only one and two seats off the aisle from the center section.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#29Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/9/13 at 8:38pm

I also worked on the film Cradle Will Rock. It was an experience I'll never forget and not in a good way! That day alone caused me to quit doing background work.

Here it is, and don't read if you're bored already.

I got the call from the casting director one hot summer day in the afternoon, asking me if I wanted to work on the film. I agreed. First mistake. The call time was at 3:30 am, at the Park Avenue armory.

I got there and found over nine hundred other extras there. Every single one of us was fitted in a 30's authentic vintage dress, hat and shoes. No matter if the shoes fit, you had to find a pair from the pile and wear them. Maybe women in those days had teensy feet, but I was already in pain from trying them on. Plus we had to wear stockings with garters. Our hair was done in those 30's styles and makeup too. Let's not forget it was August and very hot and humid. Try to imagine how comfortable we were in those outfits. The dresses were long.

With over 900 extras, it was about six hours until we were all ready. If you were one of the first, you've already spent six uncomfortable hours in a not air conditioned place.

The best is yet to come. The scene was the big parade to the theater. OK? Marching through the streets in too tight shoes in 100 degree heat. Any of you who have done film work know how much standing around doing nothing you must do, and you may not leave.

Well, some couldn't handle it. I saw several people sitting on a curb with bleeding feet. I saw several people sneaking out of the crowd into a deli and air conditioning. I saw several people leave. I saw some people calling friends and telling them to come down and join the crowd. Who would know they didn't belong there?

I was tired, in pain, and sweating down my face. At that point in my career, I was too afraid to break any rules so I stood the torture until late afternoon when it was over. Let's see, 3:30 am til about 4:30 pm.

When the day wrapped, Tim Robbins made an announcement that the shoot would continue the next day, and televisions would be raffled off. I guess that was an effort to get people to come for an additional day of fun! I didn't.

ahhrealmonsters
#30Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/9/13 at 10:48pm

I was at the invited dress tonight, and my seat was in the balcony. The ushers in the lobby scanning tickets seemed to be confused that the balcony was open. So I don't know if it's open for the actual run.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#31Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 12:36am

how was the dress rehearsal?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#32Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 2:43am

I'd LOVE some deets from the dress. Nothing 'judge-y', just with regard to the production itself. Physically speaking. Presentation-wise.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#33Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 9:09am

I would also love to hear some details from the invited dress!

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

wonkit
#34Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 12:40pm

The production clip gives me a sense of the orchestration for 14 instruments - not sure until I hear the whole thing, but it is a nice chamber orchestra size for this. The entire cast in evening dress is nice to look at but dramatically confusing. Even in a concert reading, shouldn't the workers be in something less flashy than the rich people? I am going to tonight's performance so I can't really comment until then, but there are some incredible voices in this cast. If they are ever going to record this (again), this would be the group I would want to hear.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#35Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 4:24pm

Well, it's definitely going to be smaller than the orchestra sound typical of Encores! stagings, but I like that that's in keeping, in an Encores! way, with the show's history.

I'm probably going to eat my hand between now and Saturday. My patience is totally lacking.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 7/10/13 at 04:24 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#36Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 4:40pm

wonkit, looking forward to reading your report! I'm going tomorrow night.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#37Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 10:47pm

I was there tonight and found the show to be very odd. I respect the structure and integrity of the piece, perhaps even admire it, but I think I would get more out of it by studying it in a college seminar than just taking it in at performance. It was almost impossible for me to establish an emotional connection with the material so I never became overly involved.

The performances were really first-rate though. I mean Raul delivered an impassioned performance, Judy Kuhn was marvelous as the newspaper editor, Da'Vine Joy Randolph was ELECTRIFYING in her big 11 o'clock number, Anika Noni Rose did well with "A Nickel Under the Foot," Danny Burstein (in a fat suit) was a sinister Mister Mister, and David Margulies, Martin Moran and Michael Park acquitted themselves nicely.

The orchestra, performing what was probably one of the most ambitious scores I've ever heard at Encores, couldn't have been better.

This might be the best the show ever gets for me, but I don't know if I'll ever be moved to truly care for it.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Luv2goToShows
#38Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 11:05pm

Odd indeed, I did not care much for it at all. I found the ending strange too, is that how the original ended too? Performances were great though, so it was not a total disappointment.

somethingbypuccini 2 Profile Photo
somethingbypuccini 2
#39Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 11:16pm

I've always found the Cradle Will Rock to be very interesting, but I've never really cared for it. I hoped seeing it live would change that, but it didn't. It was a fascinating watch, but I personally didn't take much away from it. I don't think the concert "staging" helped much. It was the least staged show I've seen at Encores, and it made the complex material even less accessible.

The cast was top notch though. You can't pass up a chance to see Anika Noni Rose, and I was not disappointed. Raul and Judy were in fantastic voice, and the rest of the ensemble was in great shape. My two favorites though were Da'Vine Joy Randolph and Danny Burstein. I was surprised by Danny's casting, although I know hes a versatile actor, I've always found him to have such a charming, likeable presence. But he really did well as Mr. Mister. He never fails to surprise. And Da'Vine, as Ella Hammer, got to sing the only solo that actually gave a performer the chance to really let go and perform. IT was the only point in the night when I didn't feel like some outside observer, and I thought she really walked away with the show.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#40Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 11:37pm

What was the running time? Thanks!

somethingbypuccini 2 Profile Photo
somethingbypuccini 2
#41Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 11:45pm

It was an hour and a half, no intermission.

sowren1020 Profile Photo
sowren1020
#42Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/10/13 at 11:47pm

The direction for this concert was inane...this director couldn't decide whether it was a concert, a variety show or children's theatre. Good cast and orchestra, terrible staging. And all over the place in the role division, confusion over who was playing what, people playing several roles, then not.. Danny, Raul and Judy were all fine, good singers and commited to the acting of it, although it so broad it was hard to care much about their characters. Marty Moran, Henry Stram, Peter Friedman, Michael Park and Robert Petkoff all did good work. Cradle Will Rock needed a director that wasn't trying to trick it up with a child playing the cop and using an iPad. Just do the story, that's what we go to the theatre for.

Updated On: 7/11/13 at 11:47 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/11/13 at 12:14am

Really sad I'm missing this one.

AndersonTours
#44Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/11/13 at 12:19am

Agree completely. This was a huge disappointment for me. And I am a very forgiving audience. I help to promote theater myself. The show is a difficult one. But there are so many wonderful, relevant things about it. I wanted to love the piece. Why did the director muck it up with bad, bad, bad, completely distracting, childish, meaningless choices? I don't know this director, but he should never be hired for anything by the Encores Series again. Has he ever even seen a concert before? He made the show harder to understand instead of illuminating the piece. The exact opposite of what a director should do. He obviously has distain for the piece, since none of his choices seemed organic to the piece, only throwing distraction at it, so why did he bother to direct it?
What a frustrating night.
Have to second the fine work of the cast. Don't know how but Judy, Danny and Raul were all in good voice, really committed to the piece and rose above the dumbed down direction. Personal favorites were Da'Vine and Danny, they were especially excellent and Raul less manic than usual. I could listen to Judy sing anything and be happy. Kudos also to Martin Moran and Henry Stram who were wonderful. Sad to see them toiling in this mess of an Encores.

Updated On: 7/11/13 at 12:19 AM

capnkidd
#45Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/11/13 at 12:50am

" He obviously has distain [sic] for the piece, since none of his choices seemed organic to the piece, only throwing distraction at it, so why did he bother to direct it? "

It's great to get feedback, but it's hard to take seriously (or even make sense of) a sentence like that. How can you possibly know that the director has disdain for the play? How do you know which choices were his and which the actors?

" And all over the place in the role division, confusion over who was playing what, people playing several roles, then not.."

Playing multiple roles is pretty common, and was done in the 80's American place version. Henry Stram was in it, and played the cop, and Junior Mister (at least). Who does he play here? How about Martin Moran? What does "people playing several roles, then not.." mean?

Can't wait to see this to figure out what the hell you two are talking about.

sowren1020 Profile Photo
sowren1020
#46Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/11/13 at 1:00am

In the beginning scenes, different voices seem to be portraying the dumb football coach, then Michael Parks plays the role in the second half, (very well, by the way) Anika Noni Rose plays Moll and Mrs. Mister, leading to a sign having to be held up saying "She's playing a different person" because she's in two scenes in a row, while Da'vine spends almost an hour and twenty minutes sitting in a chair onstage singing ensemble, then singing her song at the end. I know the show well and I was at a loss trying to understand who was playing what for quite a while.

capnkidd
#47Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/11/13 at 1:28am

Thanks for the explanation. How weird to have a sign to differentiate characters (did they mean it to be funny?). In the 80's version, Patti LuPone played Moll and Sister Mister. I wish I could remember who played Mrs Mister. She had incredible comic timing, and I don't think she covered any other role.

Likewise, Denise Michelle Walker (I think her name was) played only Della Hammer ended the song Joe Worker with tears in her eyes every night. A truly touching performance.

Mr Mister was also a solo role, I believe, though Larry Foreman (Randell Mell) also hysterically played one of Mrs Mister's pet artists. I assume Raul does not double.

Thanks again for your explanation.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#48Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/11/13 at 1:43am

Martin Moran plays Sister Mister in drag, wearing a neon pink dress, enormous neon pink pumps, a blonde wig and designer sunglasses. Moran also doubles as one of the artists.

Henry Stram plays Junior. At one point Moran and Stram undress onstage and switch outfits. Junior is now wearing the neon pink dress and Sister is in a tux. Stram also plays the other artist.

The direction didn't help matters, but I don't think Gold (a very talented director) had disdain for the material at all. In fact I think he showed a great love for it; he matched the weird and unconventional piece with weird and unconventional direction. The problem was it didn't work in a concert setting. Had he been given the liberty to fully stage a production I think some of it could have worked, but tonight it felt messy.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

capnkidd
#49Cradle Will Rock
Posted: 7/11/13 at 1:54am

Oh my God! I'm sure the two of them have a blast with that, but how bizarre. Who plays the other artist?

Videos