iNTO THE WOODS Revival

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#1iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 10:21am

I remember last summer there being talk of a new Into the Woods revival and haven't heard anything since. Has it stopped because of the movie?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 10:23am

It played at the park and rumors swelled that it might transfer as did Hair. It didnt.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

broadway guy
#2iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 10:37am

Was Amy Adams unsatisfactory as the Baker's wife? I remember people being so excited about this casting choice and saying stuff like " Amy needs to have a Tony Award" But then the show came out and People were suddenly less enthusiastic...

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#3iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 11:12am

You pretty much answered your own question ("Was she unsatisfactory? Yes, since people were less enthusiastic when the show came out")

but

here are the two threads about that production.
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1048621&page=10

Reviews start in that one about page 9 or 10, although the tweet from Morgan took precedence.

Also

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1049377&page=1

broadway guy
#4iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 11:21am

Thanks W.Bish

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#5iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 12:35pm

My guess would be that if the movie is successful, we could get a Broadway revival a year and a half or so after the movie premieres, like what's happening with Les Miserables. The intention of the Into the Woods in the park last summer was definitely to transfer until the scathing Brantley review and much of the cast already committed elsewhere and investors backing out. We'll likely get a brand new production after the movie.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 12:36pm

Disney will obviously produce a revival if the movie is a hit.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#7iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 4:12pm

^^Good point, really good point.

Updated On: 7/4/13 at 04:12 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 4:27pm

I would love Lincoln Center to mount a revival at the Vivian Beamount.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#9iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 4:40pm

I have candlelight vigils for the Park revival that never was far too frequently. I know many here had problems with it and it wasn't a perfect production, but it was one of my favorite theatrical experiences ever. I really, really wish that it had transferred, though I'm glad Donna at least was recognized for her amazing performance at the Drama Desks this year, though if the revival had transferred, I doubt Patina would have a Tony on her shelf right now.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell
Updated On: 7/4/13 at 04:40 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#10iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 5:11pm

I don't know how the production at the Delacorte could have played any Broadway house and still have the same feel and physical production value.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Musicaldudepeter
#11iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 5:14pm

^Hard to win a Tony for the Witch if that's what you're implying. Murphy would've been nominated but my guess is that would've been Adams' Tony.

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#12iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/4/13 at 5:26pm

You may be right re: Adams, but I think Murphy still would've come in with more votes than Patina. And bwayphreak, people said the same about Hair when it was at the Delacorte, but the Broadway run was very well received and they did an admirable job creating the right ambiance for the production in the Hirschfeld.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Holster2
#13iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/5/13 at 3:02pm

"I don't know how the production at the Delacorte could have played any Broadway house and still have the same feel and physical production value."

It would have had to be redesigned to fit in a Broadway theater. Thinking about that show with a redesign is a little sad. A transfer could have fixed every problem (or nearly every problem) people had with it in the park.

Jon
#14iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/5/13 at 3:07pm

I think a circus-style revival would be kewl.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#15iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 6:13pm

Thanks! If it ever comes back, I think Jane Lynch would be great for the witch!!

Liza's Headband
#16iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 6:15pm

Yes, totally put it in a circus! Change the beans into peanuts and cast an elephant in the role of Milky White, please.

Starship
#17iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 6:39pm

With the film version releasing next year, do you think there's any chance we'll see a revival on Broadway? I'm not sure whether or not a film would negatively or positively impact a potential Broadway production.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#18iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 6:46pm

Again.
DISNEY will obviously produce a future revival if the movie is a success.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 7:06pm

I can say with relative certainty there has already been groundwork laid on that front.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Starship
#20iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 8:36pm

Whoops, didn't see your response from earlier, ljay!

Here's another question: will the revival be based off of Disney's adaptation of the musical or the original version of the show?

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#21iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 8:52pm

@Starship You beat me too it, I was going to ask that question earlier

Starship
#22iNTO THE WOODS Revival
Posted: 7/7/13 at 9:54pm

Hahaha yep!

@justincharacter - Check your PMs!

Videos