Color Purple Revival?

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#1Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 12:45pm

Broadway.com said Oprah and producers planned to bring the scaled down Menier production to Broadway, as well as the West End and Africa. Thoughts?

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/171237/will-oprah-winfrey-bring-john-doyles-revamped-revival-of-the-color-purple-to-broadway/

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 12:58pm

If there's a God, this awful show would never be performed again anywhere.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 1:43pm

I enjoyed it, but I don't need to see it again.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#3Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 1:43pm

I'd be down.

Mark-o
#4Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 4:09pm

Oprah needs a vicious face-slapping. Period.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 4:26pm

With 30 minutes of material gone, I might be interested. I'll miss the Overture though. The pictures of the set look pretty similar to Diane Paulus' Porgy and Bess though.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 5:15pm

The production looks VERY boring, but maybe it could come in for a limited holiday run type thing.

RW3
#8Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 5:57pm

Sierra Boggess is probably the most excited person about this.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#9Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 6:14pm

Is Sierra just a very light skinned black woman?

RW3
#10Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 6:17pm

^No, but on Show People with Paul Wontorek she was talking about how she is obsessed with the musical and how her and her sister saw the show 4 times. She also named her cats after Celie and Nettie.

rafiki2011
#11Color Purple Revival?
Posted: 8/19/13 at 9:22pm

I loved The Color Purple during its Broadway run, but it is way too early for a revival. Oprah needs to bow out of that one. I will say though, after looking up some footage from this London company, Cynthia who portrays Celie has a magnificent voice. Her version of "The Color Purple (reprise)" was one of the best I've heard

Videos