pixeltracker

Aladdin Toronto previews- Page 5

Aladdin Toronto previews

broadwayguy2
#100Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 12:23am

1. Actually, the New Amsterdam is actually owned by the city. Disney just has a (I BELIEVE) 99 year release with the city for basically free because they paid for the renovation. Therefore, as with any other theatre, Disney can do what they please so long as it is permitted in print and able to be returned to the historic state.

2. Just because ONE thing flies over an audience, doesn't mean ALL things should. Really, what would it ad? Visually, Mary, Spidey and the Goblin can fly over the audience because because they are a human and can be visible from all seats. Same with Tarzan. As was stated here, the carpet itself makes that impossible to do well because the carpet would block the actors from more than half of the audience. A 45 minute free show in a park is one thing. $200/seat on Broadway is another.

3. As was just stated above, Disney already has the basis of a carpet rig. It has proved faulty and unreliable and endangered actors and has been out of commission for lengthy stretches. That video of the carpet flipping is honestly scary. Jasmine's screaming gives me cold chills.. and to the people gawking at it, gross. Disney has already had issues with the carpet in Toronto. I doubt they'd NEED to expand that worry.

4. The structure required to fly a carpet probably can not by rigged. Flying an actor is one thing, flying a set piece holding to actors is quite another. Allowing the set piece to move through "4-D" space (as the type of rig allowing something to move anywhere within the theatre is called in theatre flying) is entirely another and I don't think any of the old Broadway theatres can physically allow it or allow it under code from the historical society.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#101Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 12:27am

I'd imagine that's an effect they'd want to iron out. Not something to cram into a 4-week preview period in NYC.

broadwayguy2
#102Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 12:42am

No, that's an effect you iron out in dry tech rehearsals before an actor ever sets foot on stage.

JohnyBroadway
#103Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 1:15am

Well The New Amsterdam did just go through a remodel. Perhaps for new rigging?

broadwayguy2
#104Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 1:31am

The New Amsterdam went through the work every theatre requires after a long running show, particularly one the size of Mary Poppins, closes. The stage house has to be maintained, the stage floor repaired, dressing room areas and all need to be maintained or upgraded as needed, etc. It takes quite a lot.

lambchop2
#105Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 2:08am

Sounds like the carpet has a lot of creases to iron out. I wonder how many times they've had to stop the show to fix an issue with the carpet effect since they've opened!

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#106Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 2:18am

"That video of the carpet flipping is honestly scary. Jasmine's screaming gives me cold chills.. and to the people gawking at it, gross."

I know! The one video I understand because they were filming the show in general and they caught the carpet flip. The moment they ask the audience to leave, they turn off the camera and go. MEANWHILE, there are like 5 other videos of people turning ON their cameras at this point to film it as they keep on asking people to leave. And they are just standing there filming the poor actress screaming for help. It's despicable.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#107Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 8:01am

I don't think, in this production, that we need the carpet to fly out over the audience. Just because we had that fourth wall broken in Tarzan and Mary Poppins doesn't mean it has to be here. (Trust me, it's broken down enough between the friends trio and even the Genie.) The way the carpet works, it reminds me of the system used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The carpet changes height, spins, and flies all over the stage as easily as the car did on front of a dark background with a lot of bright stars and more effects from ensemble members. I'd rather see what's on stage now than the actors' lives in danger.

::bust a move::

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#108Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 10:18am

Is it a cheery picker situation?

JohnyBroadway
#109Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 10:41am

It has been reported that it's actually park cast members that are crying for help In those video vs. the actual stunt performers. Audience members have said they remained calm. Aladdin has been in the park for almost 11 years it wasn't until 9 years into there run that a major public fiasco happened during a performance, proving that a update to the rigging was needed. Scary, indeed. Shame on several of the park guests who continued to tape.

broadwayguy2
#110Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 10:49am

Johny,
Those are not "stunt performers" on the carpet. They are ACTORS. In that production, several people alternate in the leads. The Aladdin and Jasmine on the carpet are an Aladdin and Jasmine who are not playing the leads in that performance.
You can also hear VERY clearly as the Jasmine screams "get me down" and "someone help me"
As far as an uldate to the rigging, the issue that occured was a maintanence failure, not a system being an old design. Nevertheless..

JohnyBroadway
#111Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 10:57am

I understand that the Actors alternate through the roles, I have seen the show numerous times, but technically they are stunt performers for that particular performance. It was also my knowledge that there are also only performers in the show that do the stunts and only the stunts. Broadwayguy, have you been employed with the show? Perhaps, I am wrong.....

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#112Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 11:08am

It looks like it's closer to the system used in Chitty than the system used in Wicked. The carpet moved around in different directions and turns them around quite a bit. It glides very well. The stage is VERY dark except for a lot of very brightly-lit stars, so you can't see the rig. Those who saw Chitty would be familiar with it.

::bust a move::

broadwayguy2
#113Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 11:09am

Technically, they considered a stunt performer for that performance, but they are not trained stunt actors in traditional sense. They use the term "stunt" instead of "body double". They are trained actor / singer / dancers, not stunt artists. The actors on the carpet are an aladdin and jasmine who are not performing in the leads at that performance, unless that changed after the carpet failure.
Have *I* been employed by the show? No. Do I know individuals who have been in those roles and on that carpet? Yes.

Broadwaystar2
#114Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 11:59am

Why are we discussing the Theme Park Aladdin here??

RW3
#115Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 1:56pm

^Exactly!

broadwayguy2
#116Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 2:39pm

Star and RW,
It was discussed because posted here mentioned their feeling that the same effect should be added to the (entirely different) Broadway adaption.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#117Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/10/13 at 7:39pm

I think it's entirely possible to get the feeling of the soaring on the carpet on stage rather than over the audience.

That video of the performers from the Park is so unsettling, especially the one where someone is filming them dangling there while the Jasmine and Aladdin continue to plead for help. All I could hear was the Jasmine screaming "Please" over and over.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

RW3
CrazierThanYou Profile Photo
CrazierThanYou
#119Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/14/13 at 8:32am

Well I'm hating the Genie's pants... but like the set for the most part. Except for too much gold spray paint.

- Love and Respect

Broadwaystar2
#120Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/14/13 at 9:03am

I'm not finding the pics...

RW3
#121Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/14/13 at 9:29am

just click the link

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
#122Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/14/13 at 12:45pm

The link does not take you to any pictures of Aladdin. Just an EW page.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#123Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/14/13 at 12:51pm

Aladdin Toronto previews

Here they are. Love the sets, hate the costumes.

Updated On: 11/14/13 at 12:51 PM

Wildcard
#124Aladdin Toronto previews
Posted: 11/14/13 at 1:03pm

I don't mind the Genie's pants. I just think it's too much of the same shade of blue - there's not enough depth. Otherwise everything looks great. I can't wait to see it

Updated On: 11/14/13 at 01:03 PM