pixeltracker

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?- Page 23

What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?

SidebySidebyLogan Profile Photo
SidebySidebyLogan
#550What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 5:52pm

Can someone explain to me how Cinderella isn't a Disney property?

Updated On: 12/30/13 at 05:52 PM

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#551What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 5:54pm

Excuse you all but I am neither a tween nor in my 20s but I damn well know who Ariana Grande is. I call her Mariah Carey, Jr.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#552What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:01pm

CINDERELLA would be groan-inducing at best, but it'll probably do well, wonder if Jepsen's casting in the revival will make her a big contender for the lead. I can imagine numbers of people as the Fairy Godmother, not that they'd be right for it, but clearly names are the concern: Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson all would likely be approached. Reidel (per his last column) said he thinks it's going to be OLIVER!.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

SidebySidebyLogan
#553What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:03pm

The American public hardly knows Oliver Twist let alone Oliver! the musical

Mattbrain
#554What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:08pm

"The American public hardly knows Oliver Twist"

Are you for real?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#555What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:11pm

The American public hardly knows Oliver Twist let alone Oliver! the musical

^^ CLUELESS

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#556What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:20pm

Can someone explain to me how Cinderella isn't a Disney property?

Disney produced their own version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella for ABC in the 90s, but they don't own the property. It still belongs to the Rodgers and Hammerstein organization.

SidebySidebyLogan
#557What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:24pm

Ask anyone under 30 the plot of Oliver Twist and you'll realize how sadly true this is. They recognize the title but the buck stops there. And if you want a musical with name recognition dropping the Twist from Oliver Twist will do you no favors. It TRULY pains me to say it, but Duck Dynasty and Real Housewives are turning our culture to $hit What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#558What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:33pm

^Does it have to be a classic musical? Couldn't they write a Duck Dynasty musical? What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#559What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 6:44pm

I want Lorde in a brand new musical version of Ondine. Let's do this! Creativity shooting out of our finger tips, people!

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Wilmingtom
#560What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 7:04pm

The King and I is not available because of the LCT production.

Liza's Headband
#561What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 7:14pm

I have no inside knowledge at all but the "top three" list could make a lot of sense if it looked something like CINDERELLA, PETER PAN, and OLIVER!

While many on here will certainly groan and complain if CINDERELLA is chosen, it's a complete no-brainer for NBC. They want a family friendly classic. Well, there you go!

ETA: I also think it's an ideal choice in that the ensemble is not a focal point but simply compliments the starring and featured roles, and that it offers at least three obvious opportunities for casting major stars (the Prince, Cinderella, and Fairy Godmother) while rounding out the featured roles with Broadway veterans. Just like SOUND OF MUSIC broadcast did. The more I think about it, the more it makes complete and total sense. Updated On: 12/30/13 at 07:14 PM

Mattbrain
#562What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 7:24pm

"Couldn't they write a Duck Dynasty musical?"

Is Shuler Hensley available? (I dunno, I don't watch the show).

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

#563What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 7:28pm

You'd be surprised how little known Oliver Twist is nowadays.

And as SidebySidebyLogan said, OLIVER! is even less well known, nowhere near as well known as THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Not by a long shot.

I still hope it isn't PETER PAN.

NOB88
#564What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 7:57pm

If it is Peter Pan, Arianna Grande could be Wendy. The kid is really good. But who could be PP - Miley Cyrus? She has the hair and body. Just kidding, sorta.

JohnyBroadway
#565What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 8:00pm

If the broadway production of Cinderella were to close this Summer, having the production move to soundstage would be the cherry on top. And I sure if it wasn't The exact DCB adaption I am sure it would be an adaption of his script or some sort.

Mattbrain
#566What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 8:13pm

"You'd be surprised how little known Oliver Twist is nowadays."

Nope, not buyin' it.

Liza's Headband
#567What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 8:27pm

"And I sure if it wasn't The exact DCB adaption I am sure it would be an adaption of his script or some sort."

Really? That feels way too current, or updated, for a potential broadcast. Wouldn't they just go to whatever the original script is?

Tink2 Profile Photo
Tink2
#568What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 12/30/13 at 8:29pm

"You'd be surprised how little known Oliver Twist is nowadays."

Then that is the show that should be done. What an excellent way to re-introduce this classic? Beiber should be The Artful Dodger. Katie Perry should be Nancy. : )

Liza's Headband
#569What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 1/1/14 at 10:10pm

ETA: Sorry N00b, but I was asked to take the rumor down. My source was not happy.
Updated On: 1/1/14 at 10:10 PM

NOB88
#570What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 1/1/14 at 10:20pm

^^^I would NOT watch that.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#571What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 1/1/14 at 10:29pm

DCB's script may be too contemporary and tongue in cheek, but the original 1950s script would not play these days. First, it's short. Ninety minutes with commercials. Second, it's storybook simple and one-dimensional. People want family entertainment, but they don't want just a picture book. It would be laughed at today, since Disney has ensured that people expect three-dimensional characters and plots in fairy tale musicals.

Liza's Headband
#572What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 1/1/14 at 10:33pm

I imagine someone would adapt the original 1950s script, though. Not the newer DCB version. Right?

JohnyBroadway
#573What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 1/1/14 at 10:39pm

Well because the property has been done already 3 times for television with the last not being a favorite of the RNH Org. It will be interesting to see what they do. I have heard that they've been in very good favor of DCB book. I wouldn't be surprised if DCB adapted it.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#574What musical should Meron and Zadan do next?
Posted: 1/1/14 at 10:46pm

NBC is also the network that takes most to camp, slightly absurdist humor- they gave us Community, 30 Rock and the recent recurring characters of SNL. The Douglas Carter Beane Cinderella fits the NBC comedy style more than it does any other network.