"The Bodyguard"?

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#1"The Bodyguard"?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 9:49am

What ever happened to this? There was talks of it transferring and then nothing. Anyone got the scoop?

tmbyru Profile Photo
tmbyru
#2Re: "The Bodyguard"?
Posted: 3/11/14 at 9:59am

Maybe it can take the Winter Garden when Rocky closes...

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#2Re:
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:00am

It's soo funny, I was totally wondering this a few hours ago too. what's up with the transfer?

Darreyl with an L!

neonlightsxo
#3Re:
Posted: 3/11/14 at 10:08am

As far as I know, not happening.

brdway411
#4Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 12:03am

I saw it in London. I enjoyed it, but not sure how it will do in NYC. It is a total jukebox musical. The sets were weak except the log cabin and that was not on stage more than 15 minutes. The story is basically the same as the movie. A few changes made to modernize the story, like Cell phones and smart phones and the internet.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#5Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 12:21am

Ummm maybe you haven't seen the movie lately, but they changed the story quite significantly. The villain has been completely reworked (not for the better, btw).

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#6Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 12:27am

The plan has always been for a transfer in the 2014-2015 season, which (as far as I've heard) is still moving forward. Every indication has been that the show will play the Marquis, which is currently undergoing extensive renovation.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

trpguyy
#7Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 1:42am

I've been hearing rumor of an impending Troika tour.

AnythingGoes23
#8Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 4:06am

It rests on Heather Headley - her contract is a three year from London opening to take to Broadway first but apparently she isn't game. Her last 3 or 4 months in London were not all that happy and houses weren't great. As soon as she left and Beverly Knight joined the show it's now a sell out. That's a bitter pill to take. Plus she said the songs were very hard on her vocally.
I think the show still has an option on Marquis for the Autumn...

brdway411
#9Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 5:19am

Tag, it has been about 15 years since I saw the movie. I forgot about the changes to the plot.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#10Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 6:03am

I was looking forward to seeing Heather Headley in the role, the night I saw it she seemed bored. Well the show it self was nothing special, also can't believe they spent that much money on a house set that had less than 10 minutes or so of stage time. The changes made to the story line did not help either. This might be one of those times the show needs to tour first and than do a stop like Bring It On did.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#11Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:33am

Called a mutual friend who I forgot was attached in the production and asked if it was happening. He said, "Oh it's happening. They just can't figure out what changes to make before it comes over."

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#12Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 11:43am

AnythingGoes23, you're completely misinformed in all aspects of your post. Headley has said multiple times publicly that she's completely on board for a Broadway transfer. She is in no way hesitant.

As far as the show's life post-Headley in London, Beverly Knight is a legitimate celebrity in Europe, so of course the box office was going to pick up substantially with her in the lead. It's the exact equivalent of LaChanze (a respected theater veteran) being replaced by Fantasia (a bona fide star) in THE COLOR PURPLE. One's success in no way diminishes the other's.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 3/12/14 at 11:43 AM

tmbyru Profile Photo
tmbyru
#13Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 1:25pm

going to see this April... can't wait to see Beverly. Hope it is not as awful as people say. I loved Rocky so go figure.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#14Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 1:36pm

I saw this in London and it is one of the worst productions I've ever seen. The only redeeming things were Beverly's vocals and the girl who played Nikki.

It is just dreadful.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

neonlightsxo
#15Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 1:41pm

ucjr, if you have a friend involved, why did you make this thread?

Rainbowhigh23
#16Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 2:38pm

Agree with Doodlenyc. At interval I ran for my life into a Tesco Express and never looked back. Cheap sets, musical sequences that were like karaoke, "phoning-it-in" performances.

Updated On: 3/12/14 at 02:38 PM

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#17Re:
Posted: 3/12/14 at 7:34pm

A mutual friend of whom?

Videos