pixeltracker

NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?

Keiichi2 Profile Photo
Keiichi2
#1NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:05pm

So, during my past theater trips, it's become somewhat a tradition for me to eat at a steakhouse after a matinee performance. Don't ask why, or how it started.

In recent years, I have mainly stuck to two of my favorites - Ruth's Chris (which is right next to the hotel I always stay at, The Michelangelo on 51st street), and Keen's. But, on one of my upcoming trips in June and November, I would be interested in trying something different.

So, any recommendations on a great place to grab a steak after a show? Keep in mind, I would have an evening performance later that night, so I don't want to go too far from the theaters. But, if it's easy to get to, I would be willing to travel to get a great meal.

In particular, has anyone eaten at the Club A Steakhouse on E 58th? It's pretty well-rated on Trip Adviser, but wanted to know if anyone here had any personal experiences.

Thank you in advance for any help or recommendations.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:11pm

Have you ever eaten at a Brazilian steakhouse? I recommend Plataforma, 316 W 49th St. Not cheap, but worth it. Style of dining features family-style sides, with waiters roaming the dining room with various cuts of meats on spits, carved right onto your plate.

Last time I ate there, Raul Esparza was eating at the next table.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:12pm

Peter Luger is the best steakhouse in the country, enjoy!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#3NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:17pm

There's a terrific restaurant called Quality Meats on W. 58th, just off of 6th Ave. It's a little more modern feeling than a traditional steak house, but the food is fantastic.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#4NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:38pm

My favorite is The Bull & Bear Steakhouse at The Waldorf Astoria. It's fantastic!

http://www.bullandbearsteakhouse.com

Skip2 Profile Photo
Skip2
#5NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:48pm

Sparks Steakhouse is my favorite in Manhattan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSZEy1lFPxY

Peter Luger's doesn't even come close. And you don't have to schlep to Brooklyn. (I don't get the PL adoration. Middlin at best...)

oasisjeff
#6NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 2:53pm

My favorite is Candle Cafe West. They have a nice Chimichurri Portobello Steak that I've had a few times...
Candle menu

Now t/d/b/a haterobics on here.

musicman_bwayfan
#7NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 3:00pm

THE POST HOUSE: 28 E 63rd St btwn Park & Madison (should be reopening later this spring after renovations)
SMITH & WOLLENSKY: 49th Street & Third Avenue
THE PALM: there are 3 or 4 locations in Manhattan including 250 West 50th Street

bobs3
#8NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 3:04pm

I like SMITH & WOLLENSKY: 49th Street & Third Avenue. Food is excellent but horrible acoustics. I think it may be the noisiest restaurant in NYC.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#9NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 3:11pm

The best steak I've ever had was Ruth's Chris. It was better than Peter Lugar for me.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#10NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 3:21pm

Here are the best spots according to the Zagat guide. Peter Luger is always number one, which makes perfect sense to me. I love the term "schlep out to Brooklyn", like it's a million miles away. LOL.

http://blog.zagat.com/2012/05/12-best-steakhouses-in-new-york.html

Updated On: 3/27/14 at 03:21 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#11NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 3:23pm

Wolfgangs, the one on 41st, just down the block from Newsies, is spectacular. (They also have one downtown, and I think on 5th.

FYI - I just happened across this article on Facebook this morning. Interesting tidbit:

"10. More steakhouses doesn’t mean they’re necessarily improving. Big, famous names like Morton’s and Ruth’s Chris have been accused of coasting on their former reputations and serving up crappy experiences."
10 Meaty Secrets Of The Steakhouse

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#12NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 4:41pm

What is the steakhouse near to the Gershwin theater, with the actual steaks hanging in the window?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 4:44pm

Gallaghers next to the Neil Simon used to have steaks hanging in the window but they closed a few months ago.

Poster Emeritus

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#14NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 5:12pm

Anyone remember Tad's Steaks? EWWW!!!

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#15NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 6:04pm

SonofRobbieJ, thanks for Quality Meats! My parents will be in the city this weekend so I recommended it to them and they’re going!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#16NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 6:11pm

Haha, I remember watching the steaks in Tad's on a conveyor belt, with butter melting on top of the meat. I never could understand why you need butter on there, but it's pretty popular. I think there might still be a Tad's here.

GoshGeeGolly
#17NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 6:27pm

The Palm

Steve721
#18NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 6:50pm

Peter Luger is in Brooklyn, which is a fairly long cab ride from midtown where I usually stay. We also had to wait a good while to get a table. I thought the steak was good, but I also prefer Ruth's Chris, which is in midtown, although the interior of that restaurant is beginning to look a little run down.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#19NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:08pm

^ I agree. I always thought Ruth's Chris was the best meat I ever ate, so when friends took me to Peter Luger's for my birthday, I couldn't wait to have what was so rumored to be the best. I was so disappointed.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#20NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:27pm

Gallaghers has reopened

jo
#21NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:30pm

I've been to Peter Luger twice and have not been overly impressed relative to its reputation. The Palm was good. Try out this one ( Uncle Jack's on 9th and 35th) --

http://www.opentable.com/uncle-jacks-steakhouse-westside-9th-avenue

Updated On: 3/27/14 at 07:30 PM

Owen22
#22NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:51pm

Gallaghers closed?????????!!!!

Damn. Damn, damn, damn. Wish I'd known so I could have gone one more time...

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#23NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 7:57pm

No, Gallagher's closed only temporarily, for remodeling. It's reopened.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

KathyNYC2
#24NY steakhouse recommendations, anyone?
Posted: 3/27/14 at 8:12pm

Absolutely the Palm. One in the theater district, two on the east side 2nd ave/45th St and one downtown in the Tribeca area.

Videos