pixeltracker

Amateur Wicked productions- Page 2

Amateur Wicked productions

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#25Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/18/14 at 4:23pm

We're in an age where people think it's no big deal to steal and share movies, albums, etc. so not surprised people would try to do unlicensed productions. They'd probably be shocked to actually get in trouble. "But, but..."

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#26Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/18/14 at 5:31pm

From Schwartz's website:

INDIVIDUAL SONGS IN ORIGINAL FORMAT
We are only allowed to send out a few songs for special circumstances. (We have received a lot of requests from people asking for every song in the show). Stephen Schwartz states this very clearly in his “note from the composer” in the front of the songbook: “In special circumstances, when someone needs a song in the original show format, that can be obtained by emailing me at…” So, if you have a special need and would like PDF files of a song in its original format, please email Mr. Schwartz’s assistant, Michael, at MichaelCole@stephenschwartz.com with an explanation of your circumstances, and list the song title you are requesting in the subject line.
****IMPORTANT**** Please make sure to send an email address that will accept large PDF files. Very often, these files bounce back as undeliverable, so make sure there’s enough room in your Inbox or provide an email address that will accept these files.

CONCERT OF WICKED (Only 3 songs allowed)
Permission: The producers of the show have asked Stephen Schwartz to permit no more than THREE (3) songs from WICKED to be performed in any single event; therefore, a concert version of all the music from WICKED cannot be allowed at this time. You or your group may perform up to three songs without further permission. However, there is a royalty fee to be paid to ASCAP: You must also check with your performance venue to confirm whether or not it has already been licensed for ASCAP (or, if not in the USA, with the licensing agency in your country to see if they have a reciprocal relationship with ASCAP). If the venue is already set up for this, you don’t need to pay a fee, but if not, you need to contact us at office@stephenschwartz.com with “Concert” in the subject heading.

WICKED LICENSING/RIGHTS
Stephen Schwartz: We are in the process of negotiating the deal for stock-and-amateur licensing rights to WICKED. Needless to say, I don’t expect them to become available for some time, since they are generally not made available until after the Broadway production has closed. If all continues to go well with the Broadway production, that is probably several years away.

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#27Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/18/14 at 9:16pm

Oh man, how do these illegal productions not get shut down AND stay up on youtube??

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#28Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/18/14 at 9:52pm

Even if the rights were available, I would never direct a production of it just because the Broadway staging, love it or hate it, is like City of Angels where you cannot imagine a different staging of the show because it is so ingrained in your memory. Also Elphaba is insanely difficult to sing well, but that has never stopped amateur productions before.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#29Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/19/14 at 1:26am

Yes I know it's legally wrong, but if getting the rights isn't an option for a show (As in there are no rights to buy) who is actually suffering? Especially if it's for a school where the costs usually FAR outweigh what you bring in with ticket sales. It's all for the joy of the arts, not to make a buck.

Phantom4ever
#30Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/19/14 at 2:08am

I would say the rights-holders suffer. Schwartz and the other creatives have a right to make money off of their creation. Just because the creatives are making money from Wicked week after week on Broadway, London, tours, etc, doesn't mean that any school should say that they've made enough money so now we could/should do it for free.

Educators should be teaching students about the joy of the arts. Copyright laws are part of "the joy of the arts". There is nothing wrong or lame or outdated about respecting copyright.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#31Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/19/14 at 9:34am

The entire book of Wicked is online, I have a PDF of it somewhere as well as the score. I don't think you have to look to far to find all the elements to put together a show. I think the interesting parts are the translated versions.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#32Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/19/14 at 9:34am

Wow, TheaterFan4, thanks for reminding everyone about entitlement. It's not theirs to use. PERIOD. Therefore, they have NO right to use it, in any way.

Additionally, I DO make money on my musicals, most high schools do. I need to to pay for the rest of our season. The musical is the ONLY profitable show. So, yes, it IS about money.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 4/19/14 at 09:34 AM

Liza's Headband
#33Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/19/14 at 10:18am

No use trying to reason with those people, mama. They will ALWAYS feel they have a right to produce something just because it exists and because the materials were illegally uploaded to the internet. This is why our nation is a nation of ignorance in 2014.

DeNada
#34Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/19/14 at 10:25am

ggersten, there actually ARE different rules in Hungary.

Hungarian law states that no royalties are payable on schools productions of plays or musicals regardless of whether this is contrary to any international agreements, as long as the production is for the purpose of education and there is no fee charged for tickets. So in this case, said school aren't actually breaking the law by performing Wicked!

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#35Amateur Wicked productions
Posted: 4/19/14 at 11:04am

I see either a Forbidden Broadway parody called "The Hungarian Exemption" or a mass exodus to Hungary by amateurs in the near future...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky