Giving up red meat?

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#25Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 11:06am

"I don't condemn meat eaters either (I know we've had this thread, but if anything I find some meat eaters get defensive thinking I care what they eat.) It's obviously a personal decision that could be made for a myriad of reasons..."
THIS!
Sine I stopped eating read meat about 6 months ago it seems I get questioned about my food choices every time I go out to eat.
I'm never the one to bring the topic up but when people see what I order the whole "WHY DON'T YOU EAT MEAT??" game begins. And then when I tell people why they get defensive.
I always hear about militant vegetarians but I can't count how many times I've gone out to eat and someone has waved bacon in my face asking me how I can resist it.
I'm 25 pounds lighter and feel better than ever. That's how.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#26Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 11:17am

I think whoever feels strongly about their dietary preferences thinks other people are the loud, defensive ones.

Brian07663NJ
#27Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 11:26am

The only questions I ask people I encounter who declare that they gave up red meat is...

What substitutes have you put into your diet?

Partly out of my own curiosity to learn about alternatives but also to see how much research the person has done prior to making this decision.

Unfortunately, people who give up meat get a bad rap because they make it a political statement that is not backed up by implementing alternative healthy substitutes. When they don't immediately know what I am talking about then I know they made a bad decision. If they can rattle off healthy options then I give them credit for a well thought out decision.

Yes, it is hard to imagine someone giving up any item that we enjoy eating but that is they preference. LOL More bacon for me!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#28Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 11:28am

"I always hear about militant vegetarians but I can't count how many times I've gone out to eat and someone has waved bacon in my face asking me how I can resist it."

We've all had different experiences, I guess. I know I never see an ad or documentary about how meat is good for you. I only see those about why I should stop eating meat.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#29Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 11:30am

I don't think it would occur to me to ask people to defend their dietary choices.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#30Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 11:47am

Updated On: 7/24/14 at 11:47 AM

Brian07663NJ
#31Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 11:56am

Wasn't considering it a request to defend their dietary choices. You learn through questions...possibly an answer could shed some light on something I hadn't considered and sway me to consider giving up meat too.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#32Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 12:29pm

I haven't eaten red meat since I was 14. I don't miss it. People rarely give me a bad time about it -- mostly that was in high school when everyone gives everyone else a bad time anyway about whatever they can. More often than not, people ask if I'm offended if they order steak in front of me. Hell no! I'm pretty laid back. You eat what you like and I'll do the same.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#33Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 1:05pm

"Unfortunately, people who give up meat get a bad rap because they make it a political statement that is not backed up by implementing alternative healthy substitutes."
The problem is I don't view my dietary choices as a political statement. It's a personal choice that I have no interest in forcing on others. But once people ask and I tell them I'm a vegetarian they always want to know why. But then get defensive at the reasons I give and run through a list of meat products that they can't believe I don't eat anymore.

19 Great Vegetarian Protein Sources

IAMWHATIAM Profile Photo
IAMWHATIAM
#34Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 1:23pm

I tend to think people's food choices are their own business and would (almost) never initiate a discussion about what/why people eat or don’t eat. It’s none of my damn business, be it for religious, health, ethical, environmental or any other reason, and it’s not their job to educate me. Even with best of intentions, I think it without fail puts people on the defensive, or at least draws attention to something they may rather prefer not be a point of discussion. And if they really do want to hunker down and discuss it, then I’m sure I certainly do not. And I say this as the (for now) non-meat eating mother of a long-time vegan. Those close to me have figured it out by now, but I don’t think I’ve mentioned to most of my friends or extended family, who I regularly see and dine with, that I haven’t eaten meat for years, as I’m not comfortable making those sorts of proclamations, and am much more comfortable just saying “nah, I don’t feel like a steak now –thanks”). I might have a couple of exceptions to my own standards, one being if I were hosting someone at my home, I might ask if there are any dietary restrictions I should know about, but even though I’m a very gracious host, I more than likely wouldn’t ask, as I’d either know/have figured it out already, or would likely be serving something among my offerings that they could eat, and I believe that it’s their job, not mine, to manage their food issues/choices, without any hoopla. That’s what I’ve taught my kids to do, and that’s what I’d expect others to do (the one real exception being that when my kids were really little, I would not feed a kid, in or out of my home, without having inquired, of a responsible adult, about food allergies). My kids always knew that they had to go into a restaurant (in any country in the world) and find something on the menu without their being any fuss or discussion about what they do or don’t eat. And if they had a question or special request, they could quietly and politely ask the staff, but that it wasn’t something to discuss with the table, because their food quirks are their own personal thing. Not that there’s anything wrong with special requests that can be accommodated, it’s just that I felt that they needed to learn how to be out in the world and be flexible in any situation, and I really believe that it was/is my job to teach them that. I know so many adults who can’t navigate these issues and it makes me crazy – like they feel they can hold a whole group hostage because they can only eat chicken paillard or can’t abide ... quail on the menu (or whatever “fill in the blank” thing they love or can’t stand). And if I were picking a restaurant and didn’t know about the food issues of my companions, I’d check and make sure that accommodation could easily be made at the restaurant, but might just ask my companions if they’d prefer this restaurant or that. As an aside, just this past Saturday night, a group of 8 family members, including my vegan daughter, went to a local steakhouse in Hampton Bays. The chef made my daughter an incredible grilled vegetable platter. It was colorful, abundant, beautiful and delicious (we all thought it was the winning dish of the evening), and the chef was so excited that he very sweetly came bounding out of the kitchen asking (in a little louder voice than my daughter would have preferred…) “where’s my vegan?” - I guess he doesn’t really get many of them in a steakhouse.

Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love Love is Love

brdlwyr
#35Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 1:42pm

We just had lunch at Native Foods - so nice to have so many vegan options.

My family in the plains views a carrot as an adequate vegetable and we eat meat as an app. I have been on many diets including law carb, etc. My body changed when I stopped conuming dairy, red meat and in the last two months foul. I have lost 34 pounds and my cholestrol lowered by 81 points! I feel great and definately miss steak, but life is better!

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#36Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 4:05pm

I have to be very careful when it comes to eating raw foods (like many vegan foods). I once bought a "living" piece of spinach pie at a health store. It sent me to the hospital for five hours of vomiting and screaming in pain each time I threw up. That was followed by sleep which was interrupted by intense pain throughout my whole body. I am allergic to sunflower seeds and the entire piece of living pie was made of sunflower seeds. Also, I once ate at Taim, a popular felafel place on my street. I got a similar reaction. There were no sunflower seeds but I was allergic to some other raw ingredient. I get a reaction from many raw fruits and vegetables and melons make me use my epipen. I stew some of my fruits so that I don't eat them raw.

A vegetarian or vegan diet could kill me!

Brian07663NJ
#37Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 4:39pm

What is safe to talk about these days?

So now add food to the list of religion, politics, sexuality, bathroom habits, etc?

I can hear the comedians now...
I took my date to my parents for dinner. I introduced her and she said "so nice of you to open up your home considering I am a practicing pastafarian, I worship at the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I am a member of the teabagger party, sexually I am most compatible with asexual reptiles and I believe that farting at the dinner table is natural classical music."

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#38Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 5:20pm

"We've all had different experiences, I guess. I know I never see an ad or documentary about how meat is good for you. I only see those about why I should stop eating meat."

Of course. Growing up I had a relative who insisted being even somewhat vegetarian was an eating disorder akin to anorexia. I have met militant *vegans*--ones who think my eating choices are somehow just trying to be trendy and cool unless I go "all the way." But, in my experience, the questioning and, yes, the defensiveness comes from meat eaters (of course, since I'm a pescotarian, I would notice that more than the other way around.) I suppose now I am stereotyping vegans, so I can't win :P

However, Jane, here in Canada anyway we certainly get a number of advertisements sponsored by, say, the Alberta Beef Industry about why meat is good for you, even the wholesomeness of some sorts of sandwich slices, but maybe those ads aren't allowed in the US? I can't say.

Bdwaylover, I am glad you've given up eating foul! Giving up red meat?

Updated On: 7/24/14 at 05:20 PM

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#39Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 5:37pm

IMO, you can call 'fowl' on lots food items from the way they are grown, harvested, processed, produced etc. IE: I don't eat veal because of the inhumane way calves are treated to keep their flesh tender. Personal choice. I suppose there are as many mistreated chickens in the world! How many people are sent to hospitals with E-Coli from contaminated salads, etc.? I think we all know a diet rich in fats, carbs. and sugar will do you in eventually.

Feel good about eating healthy and feel bad about making poor dietary choices. Gosh knows there is no shortage of advice on what, how and when we should eat. It's a personal choice.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#40Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 5:52pm

Every time I have to run to the food court for the quickest option available for a brief lunch at my desk, someone in my office ALWAYS makes a snide "eating healthy, I see?" comment. I really respect threads like this where people discuss THEIR OWN choices and don't try to shame others into eating whatever it is they feel is healthy or politically correct or whatever the reason.

I get a reaction from many raw fruits and vegetables and melons make me use my epipen.

I actually have what's called an "oral allergy" with melons and some other fruits and veggies. It's when they don't metabolize pollen in the air and capture it in the flesh of the fruit and I react to the pollen, not the fruit or vegetable itself. My reaction isn't severe enough to need an epi-pen, but it is very uncomfortable and I usually require Benadryl to supplement my daily allergy medicine. And yeah, certain leafy vegetables cause extreme abdominal pain with me as well.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#41Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 6:27pm

"Every time I have to run to the food court for the quickest option available for a brief lunch at my desk, someone in my office ALWAYS makes a snide "eating healthy, I see?"

This may sound crazy, but I think that some of the people who make those comments have a certain degree of envy for you eating healthy and they're not. I know, sounds crazy but I believe it!

EricMontreal22
#42Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 6:44pm

I have an oral allergy to some fruit--as a kid I used to eat apples as often as I could--at least three a day, but at some point I became extremely allergic to apples--unless they're cooked. Not bad enough for medical intervention, but my mouth swells and gets very itchy for a few hours and my eyes puff up--similar with certain nuts...

And yeah, people commenting on the lunch or eating habits of others need to get a life. It really is almost like those people who comment on someone's weight because they are being "helpful."

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#43Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 9:10pm

Interesting comments. Food choices and how we feel about our physical self is really no one elses business. Making comments about what others eat should just be ignored unless a person is actively asking for your advice or support.

So, I'm over 60 and I can say that I've never seen so many people allergic to so many foods. I think we all know some of the reasons for this...Poor quality foods, pesticides, GMO, steroid induced meats, unsafe handling etc. etc. ALLERGIES were practically unheard of 60+ years ago. We are indeed killing each other off with many of the food-like things being offered in today's markets. AND our kids are really suffering for the ignorance of so many adults who continue to fill them with junk.

Whether you are a meat eater or a vegan, finding quality foods every day is a challenge.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#44Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 9:14pm

"So, I'm over 60 and I can say that I've never seen so many people allergic to so many foods. I think we all know some of the reasons for this...Poor quality foods, pesticides, GMO, steroid induced meats, unsafe handling etc."

Perhaps, but all my food allergies are to natural foods of high quality. I'm lucky, I guess. NOT!

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#45Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 9:36pm

Jane~ I'm sure like many you choose the best foods you can. People can be allergic to organic fruits & veggies, nuts etc. of all kinds. To me this simply was not a prevalent in our parents days and years ago most foods were bought fresh daily and without preservatives. Guess we need to look at our environment for the cause.

Getting back to red meat...I was always able to enjoy and digest a good prime rib or steak in moderation. Now the thought of trying it scares me, so I've avoided it for about 5 yrs.. I seem to do much better without red meat.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#46Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 9:44pm

To PB and those of you who don't feel well after eating red meat - I'm curious to know what the negative physical reactions are when you eat it.

Updated On: 7/24/14 at 09:44 PM

EricMontreal22
#47Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/24/14 at 9:57pm

I've heard the prevalence of antibiotics, etc, plays a part--the constant use may kill off bacteria that would help keep us immune to many food allergies.

SonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
#48Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/25/14 at 8:59am

I have the exact same apple allergy Eric. I avoid cooked apple products though. If there's a trace of the skin, same allergic reaction happens.

I also have had the same problem with plums, peaches, etc. Updated On: 7/25/14 at 08:59 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#49Giving up red meat?
Posted: 7/25/14 at 9:52am

"This may sound crazy, but I think that some of the people who make those comments have a certain degree of envy for you eating healthy and they're not. I know, sounds crazy but I believe it!"

I do think there is a bit of untruth when it comes to the veg*ns who can't stop talking about their diets. I know the veganazis do exist, but I think there are subtle things that people don't realize where these discussions always happen around veg*ns, but are almost never initiated by us.

I've been vegan for nearly a decade and vegetarian for a decade before that, and if anything, when I am talking about veg*n stuff with people, it is almost always because other people bring it up, often don't know a lot about the topic, and then keep asking more and more. Sometimes they are inquisitive, sometimes defensive, but you can sort out which pretty easily.

I do think a lot of the time that the onslaught of questions is actually looking for an out, something I'll say to give them a reason to say "See, that's why I couldn't do it..." but I never phrase anything to make it easy in that regard. I used to eat all that stuff, too, why would I judge them? I don't care what they do, but the conversation is almost never initiated by me.

Just being veg*n in social settings inspires healthy diet conversations that you'd never want to be a part of... around the holidays, there are cookies and desserts I eat, but usually at other people's houses, I just pass the cookies without taking one (I always arrive with a dozen or so cookies that I can eat that I put out for everyone).

Without fail, someone across from me will have taken 3-4 chocolate chip cookies, hand the tray to me, and I hand it to the next person without taking one and doing nothing else but pass the tray, prompting the previous person to say "You only live once."

Sometimes that prompts a discussion that I'd never want to have, but I do wonder if people think that whenever I'm around we have to discuss these things and it perpetuates the myth that veg*ns only want to talk about their diets and such, and all I'm doing is passing a tray to the next person to have cookies if they want them?!

I only talk about being vegan enough to know if I can or can't have a dish if I don't know the ingredients. Otherwise, carry on...