pixeltracker

"The Curious Incident..." Previews- Page 2

"The Curious Incident..." Previews

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#25curious incident previews
Posted: 9/10/14 at 11:20pm

HOLY SH*T!!!!

Well, that was one helluva first preview, one helluva show and easily one the great Broadway debuts I've ever seen. Alex Sharp is so brilliant I was near shaking at the curtain call. I can't even imagine what he must be feeling after giving a performance like that the first time he stepped on a Broadway stage. (I also completely understand why he needs an alternate- that role is exhausting!!)

I read the novel when it came out years ago and my memory of the text was rather hazy, but as the play began at all came tumbling back to the front of my mind. The adaptation is stunning; I never thought the book was theatrical which makes the achievement all the more impressive.

And then there's the direction by Marianne Elliott. A complete feast for the senses. It was all so stimulating. I feel so pumped up.

All of the actors (playing multiple roles) were excellent.

Really don't want to say anything about the design because it will spoil the fun. Just go see it.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#26curious incident previews
Posted: 9/10/14 at 11:22pm

Ahhhh I cannot wait!!!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#27curious incident previews
Posted: 9/10/14 at 11:26pm

Sounds like we have ourselves an early contender for Best Play...

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#28curious incident previews
Posted: 9/10/14 at 11:27pm

I feel that this is this year's WAR HORSE, though a bit better than that play. It was visually stunning (and I mean stunning) and Alex Sharp is giving a helluva performance, but being an avid fan of this novel I couldn't help but think that they really sacrificed the beautiful delicacy of the novel and what this play could have been and ended up with a very flashy and showy play, and I really just missed some of the gentleness of the book. Not a bad play by any means and I could recommend it if you liked WAR HORSE and THE COAST OF UTOPIA, but I think that you would do better at home reading the book otherwise.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29curious incident previews
Posted: 9/10/14 at 11:44pm

Hm. I found War Horse totally boring. I'm still excited to see this, since I love a tech heavy play.

dave1606
#30curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:03am

I was there tonight and found it even better than I remembered. I don't think War Horse is a fair comparison. This play is vastly different than War Horse. Ironically there are a few flashes from Enron, but used in a much better way here.

It really is a masterpiece of direction. What I like is that despite all of the bells and whistles (and there are many) we can still connect with the central story. Major credit can be Alex Sharpe was excellent, he made the role his own.

There were a few tiny tech glitches, but if I hadn't seem the play before I never would have noticed. My only complaint was not doing the scene after the curtain call! I really hope they add that back in as it was one of my favorite moments in the London production.

Overall this is a strong contender for Best Play, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sharpe was the one to beat for Best Actor. I do hope sales pick up as there were several rows of empty seats in the mezz.

Updated On: 9/11/14 at 12:03 AM

getatme
#31curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:09am

Stunning is the only word I can really think of to describe tonight's performance. I had seen a screening of the National version and was really excited to see how it would translate to a proscenium stage. I was a little disappointed at first that Luke Treadaway wasn't transferring, but after tonight, that feeling has evaporated.

Alex Sharp is giving a masterful, incredible performance. From top to bottom, he is more than committed, he is living as Christopher on that stage. I don't know if I can pick out just one standout moment because his entire performance absolutely floored me. Seeing an actor of his immense talent take his first bow on a broadway stage brought tears to my eyes. Really just a phenomenal performance.

The rest of the show, the rest of the actors, the direction, the design, everything just comes together perfectly. It reminded me a bit of the well oiled machine that was Peter and the Starcatcher, every single moment seemed thought out and all the flash and pizazz had a point. The bells and whistles bring your into Christopher's mind. A friend of mine was at the show and she has experience working with autistic children and she said there were several moments in the first act that she just got because of her experience and that the director perfectly simulated the world through the eyes of an autistic child.

Really just an incredible evening of theater. I absolutely recommend it to anyone and everyone--though that might not mean much coming from a new poster.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#32curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:15am

I think War Horse is a bit of an unfair comparison because there's a lot more meat to Curious Incident. (I actually agree with dave that there are flashes of Enron, but I guarantee ONLY flashes!!)

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Mr. Musical Profile Photo
Mr. Musical
#33curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:18am

I'm seeing this tomorrow. Can't wait after hearing these reports!

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#34curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:19am

I was there tonight as well and was really into it. I read the book a few years ago and didn't really care for it, but decided to take a chance on this after hearing many good things about its run overseas. While I still wasn't totally enraptured by the material, I did connect with it more as a play than I did as a book.

As others have said, Alex Sharp is a wonder. He carries this show on his shoulders, and he deserves all the accolades in the world for throwing himself into this role. It was a pleasure to watch his Broadway debut tonight, and his solo bow during curtain call was an incredible moment.

I loved the design (especially the sound), as well as the movement--actually, I think the movement was one of my favorite parts of the production.

I'm glad I caught this one, especially for Alex Sharp's performance.

ETA: For those wondering, I got what I assume was one of the rush seats, as the box officer sold it to me for $37 (I didn't know they were offering rush tickets until reading this thread just now). It was located in the house right box, and was labeled partial view. The view wasn't actually that bad--I definitely missed some stuff, but I don't feel like I missed anything major or that my enjoyment of the performance was impacted in any way by the seat/view.

Updated On: 9/11/14 at 12:19 AM

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#35curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:31am

I'm comparing it to WAR HORSE in the concept of the show, not in the execution. It is an extremely visually-based production and uses it to mask the quality of the show (not totally successfully) much like WAR HORSE did. I thankfully didn't see ENRON, but from what I've seen of that show, it might be closer to that. I just don't think that the new National Theatre patented style of direction was right for this show, and I certainly don't think that the text of the play lived up to the original book at all.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#36curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 1:37am

Any update on the Christopher skedge?

getatme
#37curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 1:39am

The playbill just says "At some performances." Not schedule yet.

LimelightMike
#38curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 1:47am

Hmmmm.

ajh
#39curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 2:32am

If these reactions turn out to be representative of the general consensus then it sounds like a Curious could replicate it's West End success on Broadway. Here's hoping: it is a terrific show, with heart and spectacle. It deserves to be massive.

Scottsacto Profile Photo
Scottsacto
#40curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 2:51am

Thanks for the report Whizzer!! Always Happy to hear your opinion on these things!!

LimelightMike
#41curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 3:15am

I'm dying to book a seat to this one, but I want to know that I'm seeing Alex Sharp in the lead. Would it be safe to say that he'll be on Wednesday evenings going forward?

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#42curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 6:09am

I'm so happy to hear all the positive reports. I fell asleep three times reading the book, but the play sounds really incredible. I'll be sure to catch it.

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

After Eight
#43curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 6:55am

It's affecting, though overlong. The narration conceit weighs down the proceedings. The meta bits are an annoyance, as well. Well staged and acted.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#44curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 7:03am

And the Tony for the Best Leading Actor in a Play goes to...

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#45curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 10:18am

Limelight Mike: I have friends on MATILDA (Taylor Trensch last show) who said that he doesn't know yet what the schedule will be so I wouldn't assume anything yet about the schedule. And Taylor could easily be great as well.

iluvtheatertrash
#46curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 10:45am

For those of you who bought TDF tickets, where were your seats?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#47curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 10:52am

I bought a $27 ticket for rear orchesta. May have to sell it and get a better seat.

mamaleh
#48curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 10:55am

Considering same here.

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#49curious incident previews
Posted: 9/11/14 at 11:09am

Where is the best place to sit for this? I'd like to get the full technical effect.