Aladdin and other shows

Lord Adalbert
#1Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/13/14 at 9:21pm

Did anyone enjoy Aladdin???? Gentleman's Guide ????? Kinky Boots ????

Broadwaygirl202
#2Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/13/14 at 9:31pm

I really enjoyed Aladdin when I saw it in July. I have not seen the other two but Aladdin was better than I thought it was going to be. If you love the movie, it is better imo, but that's just me. If you like other Disney shows then this is one that is a must see. I have only heard good things about the other two. If you are planning on seeing Gentleman's Guide, I know a couple, or at least one person, are going to be leaving the show.

mjohnson2 Profile Photo
mjohnson2
#2Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/13/14 at 9:32pm

No. Every single person who saw any of those shows hated them.

Anything regarding shows stated by this account is an attempt to convey opinion and not fact.

Lord Adalbert
#3Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/13/14 at 9:34pm

I am shocked none made fun of the fact my name is from Gentleman's LOL. Mays will have a good replacement I am sure

Broadwaydreaming Profile Photo
Broadwaydreaming
#4Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/13/14 at 11:03pm

I know people that went to see all three. I've heard really wonderful things about Gentleman's Guide. It's up there on my list of shows to see. Can't really go wrong with any of them.

A1st
#5Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/14/14 at 12:43am

Haven't seen Kinky Boots
Thought A Gentleman's GUIDE was good, not my favorite show ever but incredibly enjoyable
SEEN ALADDIN 3 TIMES ALREADY AND LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY SHOW

Hex3 Profile Photo
Hex3
#6Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/14/14 at 3:15am

Did Aladdin go through many changes from it's Toronto run to Broadway?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#7Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/14/14 at 7:18am

They made changes everyday all until opening night on Broadway!

mamaleh
#8Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/14/14 at 7:59am

IMO ALADDIN sticks to the Disney brand and pulls it off pretty well. You see every cent they spent on it up there on the stage. It's all eye-popping spectacle (especially the flying carpet), more style over substance, but I didn't mind because it's presented so gorgeously. The bad guy and his henchman, Aladdin's three cohorts, and of course the genie steal the show from the romantic leads. You could do a lot worse.

A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE was giddily delightful throughout. Lots if laughs, very clever lyrics and period-suitable melodies are delivered by a very able cast. Jefferson Mays is not to be missed as all the murder victims, nor should Bryce Pinkham as the perpetrator.

I thought KINKY BOOTS was a fun, pleasant evening with something to say about tolerance and respect. But I am not as big a fan as many others. IMO the infinitely superior MATILDA should have won the Best Musical Tony in addition to Best Score. BOOTS is cute in spots, especially "The History of Wrong Guys," the show's best number. But I found score fairly banal and generic ("Everybody Say Yeah") for the most part. Overall, it's colorful and feel-good, but meh.

Updated On: 9/14/14 at 07:59 AM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#9Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/14/14 at 10:29am

I saw "Aladdin" in August and had a most enjoyable time. It is a fun show and like others have said James Monroe Iglehart steals the show. The magic carpet ride is pretty cool also, I was wondering how Disney was going to pull that off and they did it very well. I have not seen the other shows but will probably see "Kinky Boots" in 2015 when the tour comes to Charlotte NC.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#10Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/14/14 at 5:32pm

Aladdin should have been a much, much better show. I'm still gobsmacked that it's gotten the pass that it has.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#11Aladdin and other shows
Posted: 9/14/14 at 7:50pm

ALADDIN is...ALADDIN. It's a nice diversion, and really nice to hear those old Howard Ashman songs cut from the movie, and I thought about dinner afterwards

GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE is clever and full of wit, and I thought about dinner afterwards.

KINKY BOOTS has a fun first act, a treacly and preachy second act, and I thought about dinner afterwards.

But I wasn't hungry after INDIAN INK. No songs, though.