pixeltracker

CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews- Page 2

CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 9:19am

I've always wondered why anyone posts Talkin Broadway reviews. Might as well post any amateur blog on the net. I rate Matthew Murray right up there with AndrewAndrew.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#26CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 9:20am

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it anywhere - do we know what days Taylor Trensch goes on as Christopher?

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

neonlightsxo
#27CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 9:56am

THR: "Onstage virtually the entire time, Sharp, a Brit fresh out of Juilliard"
Uh, isn't he American?

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#28CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 10:06am

Alex's bio:

"Alexander Sharp was born in London but grew up traveling constantly. He closed out his time at Juilliard (from which he graduates end of May) playing Hally in Athol Fugard’s Master Harold…and the Boys, while simultaneously directing a production of A Clockwork Orange the play, which he also adapted. Alex is excited to be making his Broadway debut."

Updated On: 10/6/14 at 10:06 AM

neonlightsxo
#29CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 10:09am

Ah, ok. Interesting, as one of the other reviews claims the cast is All American.

chanel
#30CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 1:59pm

Dazzling production, though the play is another glorification of an autistic savant.

http://www.out.com/entertainment/michael-musto/2014/10/06/gaysian-comic-alec-mapa-broadway-curious-incident-stage-cinderella?page=0,1

Steve721
#31CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/6/14 at 6:05pm

"Dazzling production, though the play is another glorification of an autistic savant."

Yeah, these days it seems like every other play glorifies people with autism. And don't get me started on plays with gay or African American characters!

[For those of you who lack a sarcasm detector, this is it.]

juice23 Profile Photo
juice23
#32CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/7/14 at 3:46pm

Seconding the question about the alternate schedule. I'm wondering who I will see next week.

My Music Classroom Giving Page: https://www.donorschoose.org/MrHMusicRoom

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/7/14 at 4:35pm

Dazzling production, though the play is another glorification of an autistic savant.

More accurately, the play is another adaptation of a novel. But you're right. We've been over-saturated with the flood of cutesy autism stories. Broadway should have something different, like the glorification of a unfulfilled white women. Or if you're going to have to show one of those autistic kids, relegate them to minor characters or don't give them any redeeming qualities. And if they have Downs, please only use them as creepy kids in a horror story. kthnx

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#34CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/8/14 at 8:06pm

According to the Playbill I received at today's matinee, Taylor Trensch will be playing all matinees including Sundays. Meaning Alex Sharp is only doing 5 performances a week.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#35CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/9/14 at 11:12am

"According to the Playbill I received at today's matinee, Taylor Trensch will be playing all matinees including Sundays. Meaning Alex Sharp is only doing 5 performances a week."

Very disappointing to hear this as I have tickets for Saturday's matinee performance and really wanted to see Alex. I'm going to the box office later today to transfer my tickets to an evening show...I'll report back on how that goes.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#36CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/9/14 at 12:19pm

Update: my husband went to make the exchange, which they were willing to do at first without the physical tickets. He was approached by someone who asked why he was exchanging, he explained, the box office staff overheard the conversation, and prevented him from making the exchange without the physical tickets. Such bull****.

Even more bull**** that they're keeping this under-wraps. Many of the reviewers went out of their way to discuss how impressive Alex Sharp's performance is, Brantley went so far as to call it a star is born moment. Though I'm certain Taylo Trensche is quite good, many people, including myself, are going in part to see Alex Sharp. I find it fairly disingenuous of the box office for failing to disclose the fact that Sharp is not appearing in every performance.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#37CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/9/14 at 12:29pm

I don't think the production has ever hid the fact that the role of Christopher has an alternate. It's been mentioned in all of the press releases, and Taylor Trensch is given equal billing with Alex Sharp on the posters outside the theatre and the title page within the playbill. As consumers, it's as much our responsibility to ask.

That said, I'm rather surprised that the alternate has such a heavy schedule. Is the role really that demanding? Especially for a young performer in the prime of his health and career?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#38CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/9/14 at 12:37pm

Agreed AC. It was never a secret. The box office is not at fault. Though he is the alternate, Trensch is given equal billing.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#39CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/9/14 at 12:52pm

Funny when I went specifically looking to purchase tix to see Alex, they told me. (They had a calendar in the box office and were looking at it.) They have been nothing but forthcoming with me about that.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#40CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/9/14 at 1:01pm

So, Taylor's on Wednesday matinee, Saturday matinee, and Sunday at 3pm? And, that's it? Alex prospectively has the other 5 performances every week? REALLY looking to book for January-February. Possibly a Saturday night. :)

#41CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/9/14 at 5:08pm

I have only seen Taylor, and understand people wanting to see Alex, but Taylor was great. Even though it is a big role, I don't think it really matters, it's about the show not Christopher.

ultraviolet99
#42CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/12/14 at 12:06am

Starting next week, the official alternate schedule will be Taylor going on Wednesday matinee and Sunday. Alex will do both shows Saturday.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#43CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/12/14 at 8:31am

Saw the matinee yesterday (Saturday) and I believe it was Taylor. Cute play, and a fine entertainment, but certainly not a "best play." Perhaps best choreography? As long as they have a minimum level of competence, the actors are probably as interchangeable as a bulb in the set.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#44CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/12/14 at 7:28pm

Saw the mat today. Taylor was on (he's on Wed., Sat. and Sun. mats), he did an excellent job. Great performance- seriously a great actor. Huge shoutout to the actors and actresses playing Christopher's parents and his aid in school.

Really great show, loved the book. The set was incredible....so clever.

I was able to get $27 dollor student rush tickets via the student rish tickets website....second to last row mezz....excellent view...perfect for this show...and for the lighting...

ILuv2shop531
#45CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/13/14 at 3:14pm

Does anyone know if there is an understudy for Christopher other than Taylor being the stand-by? Checked Playbill Vault and the website and didn't see anything. If Alex or Taylor ever went on a scheduled vacation, I'm sure the other wouldn't be doing all 8 performances that week in their absence.

Updated On: 10/13/14 at 03:14 PM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#46CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/13/14 at 3:20pm

The playbill lists only Alex and Taylor for Christopher...no u/s

#47CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/13/14 at 4:22pm

I think Vacations would not be for 4 months or so and
I think they could easily do 8 shows,
just not more than 1 week off,
which I think is standard.
Again, I would like to stress I think it is not that important who you see as Christopher, it's about the show/ensemble.

Updated On: 10/13/14 at 04:22 PM

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#48CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 11:06am

I saw the show on Sunday and Taylor was on. He was amazing, I can't imagine Alex would be any better, but obviously I don't know for sure. Loved, loved this show.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#49CURIOUS INCIDENT... Reviews
Posted: 10/14/14 at 12:05pm

I think it is a different show with different Christophers. The first one I saw in London (at the Apollo) was amazing. The second one (at the Gielgud) was very very good, but it was an early preview. But, my 13 year old who had not seen the prior actor thought he was amazing, while I thought he didn't measure up as much. My bride who had seen the first two like me went a third time and caught the alternate. She said he was not as familiar with the script and had some issues and a different characterization, but her colleague who had not seen the other two actors was blown away.
So, I think it does matter who you see as Christopher in a bigger sense - but you are not necessarily being shortchanged by seeing Taylor instead of Alex. And that's probably due to a combination of the show and because they are both talented actors. After all, people continue to enjoy Wicked without Menzel and Chenowith.