pixeltracker

The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....- Page 2

The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#25The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:26pm

I will be there tonight as well. Can't wait to experience this.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#27The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:30pm

Well the MET has the right to put it on. And the fact that they have not seen it or listened to it really diminishes the values of their arguments in my eyes. Could they cite specific quotes which prove their point, I might listen. And I'm tired of talking about this. I feel they did bully the Met into cancelling the simulcast and the talkbacks. That's wrong.

I wanted to go tonight but I've been under the weather so I'll just go when I was supposed to. (I had considered standing room, but I don't tend to enjoy it from there quite as much.)

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 1:44pm

For those deterred by the price tag of opera tickets, there are still full view seats in the family circle tonight starting at 27 bucks.

pat_NYborn Profile Photo
pat_NYborn
#29The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 2:02pm

All set to go Friday night. Quick question though...does the Met do any rush? I keep hearing conflicting reports. Thanks for the help everyone!

Updated On: 10/20/14 at 02:02 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#30The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 2:22pm

AC126748-

Yes, as others said, most were in Dante Park behind barricades. However, numerous protestors were standing on the sidewalk in front of the Lincoln Center steps.

The folks manning the bullhorns spoke their ignorance of the material or John Adams proudly. Who cares what the material actually is? They heard it was antisemitic, pro-terroism, anti-Israel, that the Met was supporting Hamas, and all sorts of other idiocies.

A good number of the protesters had to be in their teens.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#31The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 2:25pm

While there may be a student rush (not 100% sure...) the general rush has been replaced by a lotto.

Met Lotto

iluvtheatertrash
#32The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 2:38pm

Say where, I'll be around! I'm in Row Y of the Orch. Grey striped suit.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#33The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 2:38pm

There is student rush available, per the Met's website:

Student tickets are also available for purchase at the Metropolitan Opera Box Office beginning at 10 am on the day of the performance pending availability. A valid, full-time undergraduate or graduate student ID must be presented at the time of purchase.

Considering that KLINGHOFFER is not a sell-out, I imagine rush is available for tonight, and will be for most (if not all) performances.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

iluvtheatertrash
#34The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 2:39pm

Michael Bennett, I would LOVE to meet you. Always love reading your posts. Say hi if you spot me and feel like it!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Gothampc
#36The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 3:40pm

I was also at the opening of The Marriage of Figaro. The protestors had George Pataki speak. George Pataki!

I really didn't have much interest in this show, but now with all the protests, I'm kind of curious.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

pat_NYborn Profile Photo
pat_NYborn
#37The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 5:03pm

Thank You so much for all the help Play Esq. and AC126748. Funny thing, I was very neutral on seeing this until all the protest...now I am curious to see what all the fuss is about. Talk about free advertising!

Theater'sBestFriend
#38The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 6:12pm

A few months back, a group of vocal protesters forced the cancellation of the performances of an Israeli group of artists at a festival in Edinburgh, Scotland. At that time, there were posts on this board applauding the silencing of these actors, defending the festival's decision, and advocating a boycott against other artists and academics from Israel. It seems freedom of artistic expression is under attack on all sides.

Some speech acts are so heinous as to not have First Amendment protection: one has no right to scream "fire" in a crowded theater. Similarly, incitement to acts of terrorism against innocents would be heinous. Obviously, there is disagreement here about whether the opera condones terrorism. The protesters at Lincoln Center are exercising their first amendment rights in protesting to express their concerns. However, if one believes that the arts can promote empathy and mitigate extremism, one must be very hesitant to advocate any restraint on free artistic expression. Free speech is ultimately in everyone's interest.

Clearly, one is dealing with traumatized groups with pain, sensitivity, and fear on both sides. Extremist voices have drowned out reasonable discussions and empathy. In such situations, I believe it is most productive to acknowledge each side's concerns, while encouraging an understanding of multiple viewpoints rooted in recognition of common humanity and human rights. Hopefully, the arts can play a productive role.

broadwayguy2
#39The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 6:18pm

I don't think anyone has a problem with first amendment rights here, so much as loud mouth who are ignorant of what they are actually protesting and who are falling in line with what they were told to think. That, regardless of the ideology, is something to be lamented.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#40The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 6:37pm

A majority of the most vocal protests have, at one point or another, called for the opera's complete and total removal from the Met's schedule. So while they are out exercising their First Amendment rights (which is all well and good), it's also wise to keep in mind that many of them wished to silence the free artistic expression of others.

This is hardly the first time that a group of protesters are largely ignorant of what they're protesting. Just ask any teacher who's had their reading lists challenged by "concerned" parents.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 10/20/14 at 06:37 PM

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#41The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 7:05pm

Tonight's protest was much smaller than the one on Opening Night.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 7:39pm

I guess it all depends on whose ox is being gored.

Poster Emeritus

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#43The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 7:47pm

So while they are out exercising their First Amendment rights

For once and for all: The First Amendment has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. THE FIRST AMENDMENT IS ABOUT CONGRESS PASSING LAWS!

AC126748--please read this aloud and tell us what it has to do with the opera or the protest.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Updated On: 10/20/14 at 07:47 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#44The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 7:56pm

But PJ, the Supremes have consistently ruled that restrictions literally applied to Congress also apply to other governmental entities. Hence, the annual fuss about creches on city properties.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#45The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 8:02pm

Pal Joey, "freedom of assembly" is exactly what the protesters are exercising. Court cases fought over the interpretation of the First Amendment have set the precedence for the rights to protest and to freedom of speech that are enjoyed in the US today.

http://www.illinoisfirstamendmentcenter.com/research_CourtCases_RightToPeaceableAssem.php

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/censorshipfirstamendmentissues/courtcases

Updated On: 10/20/14 at 08:02 PM

Theater'sBestFriend
#46The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 8:41pm

I believe the first amendment issue here has to do with the police supervision of how and where the protesters are assembled, what is considered dangerous or disorderly assembly, and the mechanisms of judicial oversight regarding how those rules are implemented and restraints on government curtailment of press discussions about them. It also prohibits any public funding for the arts from being used for overt political retaliation. In countries without a working first amendment, none of those function to keep the differences being aired within safe bounds.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#47The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 10:03pm

The first amendment would be involved only if the government were forbidding the Met from doing operas about politics or forbidding citizens from protesting.

The government is not involved here, so there are no first amendment issues.

Meanwhile, the opera is going on--with only two protesters ejected when the stopped the show--and the protests are going on.

And how many other countries have a "working first amendment" anyway? (How many of them have first amendments that say what ours does?)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#48The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 10:08pm

The New York Times has already posted a review of the protests!

The Huffington Post misleadingly links the Times article with the tabloidy headline: DE BLASIO AND GIULIANI IN OPERA SHOWDOWN
Protester Briefly Interrupts ‘Klinghoffer’ at Met Opera House

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#49The Death of Klinghoffer opens tonight....
Posted: 10/20/14 at 10:30pm

"The first amendment would be involved only if the government were forbidding the Met from doing operas about politics or forbidding citizens from protesting."

Pal Joey, read the links that I provided that show that the First Amendment is defined by a series of court cases upholding the right of citizens to demonstrate not just against the federal government but for the general right to assemble and to practice unpopular speech.

Yikes! Even strict Constitutionalists admit the existence of the Judiciary and understand how it works.

Updated On: 10/20/14 at 10:30 PM

Videos