pixeltracker

Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season- Page 3

Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season

Sunny11
#50Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 5:53pm

Year I noticed that Gary Barlow deleted his tweet.. Ha Ha! He is still following MM though. Luckily for him he posted that around 8 am Uk time so while the American press where still asleep and unable to run it.

Back Row
#51Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 6:30pm

Looking at it in retrospect, this has probably been a virtual done deal since before Jordan even got involved. (whether are not Jordan knew all this when he took the job is not so obvious) The only sticking points regarding Morrison may have been availability, salary, and time commitment. Perhaps they still are, and that's why there has been no announcement yet. Jordan's performance in Cambridge put Weinstein in a stronger bargaining position with Morrison, but if Morrison wants to come to Broadway badly enough, or if Weinstein wants him badly enough, it looks like the job is his.

It is a physically and vocally demanding role. The Barrie character is on stage for virtually the entire show. I'm sure that adjustments will be made to tailor the role to Morrison's talents (more dancing, less vocally challenging), but carrying an entire show on his back for eight performances a week will still be something that is new for for a guy who earned his Broadway bona fides in featured roles, and it's not going to be a cakewalk regardless of what adjustments are made. I can certainly understand why ironing out the details may be taking some time.

Sunny11
#52Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 7:06pm

Morrison had the male lead role in 10 million miles in 2007 so he has had to carry a heavy role before. Also at the very start of his career he understudied 'Ren' during the national tour of Footloose and apparently went on a few times in that role:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUyCfXF02oE

While it wasnt for 8 shows a week, its still a dance heavy, physically demanding part that he was able to meet the demands of as a newbie.

JaglinSays
#53Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 7:38pm

I don't think Morrison will be able to pull off the accent.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#54Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 7:40pm

Was he able to pull off the Italian accent in 'The Light in the Piazza'?

Back Row
#55Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 8:14pm

"Morrison had the male lead role in 10 million miles in 2007 so he has had to carry a heavy role before."

I wasn't questioning his ability to take on a lead role. I was merely pointing out that this role presents particular physical and vocal challenges that would cause any actor to examine his own ability to be at the top of his game eight times a week. Jordan had faced similar challenges in a lead role twice before, and even he thought this role was difficult. And I wasn't questioning Morrison's conditioning. He's a dancer. Of course he's in shape. However, being on stage for virtually the entire show, under the lights, can drain the energy out of you when you are in the best of shape.

I'm a huge Patty Griffin fan and I wish I had been able to see 10,000,000 Miles, but part of the appeal of her music is that it is so accessible and easy to sing. That is not the case with some of the more emotional songs in Finding Neverland. It will present some challenges that will be new for Morrison.

My point is that this is not an easy role, and that I'm sure Morrison recognizes that and is considering the obvious physical and vocal demands before making any long term commitment for eight shows a week. He may try to talk them down to six shows a week. It's all part of the negotiations. If all this was a slam dunk, he would already be signed, sealed and delivered.

Updated On: 10/29/14 at 08:14 PM

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#56Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 8:50pm

I don't like making assumptions, but I feel like Morrison had totally signed on the for project from. Maybe the producers had known from day 1 that Morrison was unavailable for a tryout and they went on without him to improve the show. We just don't know.

Let's just say M.M. did a 6 show a week schedule. Totally hypothetical. Does anyone think that Jeremy Jordan would join the show as an alternate/standby for Barrie or is he just too far along in his career to do that? Sort of like how Charlotte D'Amboise stood by for Christina Applegate in Sweet Charity, even when Charlotte was a very established theater actress.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#57Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 8:54pm

Or like how Elena Shaddow stood by for Kelli O'Hara in 'The Bridges of Madison County'?

Updated On: 10/29/14 at 08:54 PM

Back Row
#58Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 9:02pm

"Does anyone think that Jeremy Jordan would join the show as an alternate/standby for Barrie or is he just too far along in his career to do that?"

Probably about the same odds that Morrison would join the show as an alternate for Barrie if Jordan had the part. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Sunny11
#59Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 9:19pm

I am wrong in feeling that it isn't unusual that office casting hasn't been announced yet? It's only been a month since the preview ended. Kelli o hara was first attached to King and I in early April and was officially cast in mid June. The workshop/preview interim stages delays things particular when cast changes are involved. The casting for several spring 2015 productions haven't been announced yet either.

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#60Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 9:29pm

And I know this hasn't been our topic, but as for ensemble casting, auditions are only happening now. Singing auditions were this week, dance auditions are next week:

https://www.playbill.com/jobs/job_detail/333549
https://www.playbill.com/jobs/job_detail/333550

The ensemble in the A.R.T. production was STUNNING. I hope the ones who want to continue on will be able to, but I'm assuming they need to reaudition.

Does ensemble casting tend to be announced before lead/featured role casting, or after?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/29/14 at 9:51pm

Usually afterwards.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#62Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:53pm

Saranoh- I mean, Sunny11- nobody is doubting Matt's talents. But it is going to be a challenge for him to be back on stage in such a demanding role from day 1, and he is fully conscious of that. I'm not sure they'll consider the reduction to 6 shows a week, but I think that'd make sense- for most shows in general, where the lead is on for such a long time.
Gary Barlow had an obvious foot-in-mouth moment with that tweet.

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

Amalia3 Profile Photo
Amalia3
#63Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:41pm

What do you think Jeremy Jordan will do next? More TV?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#64Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:01pm

He could go back to Ever After...

Sunny11
#65Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:05pm

I have never used the name " saranoh" in my life and I am sure that she (?) wouldn't want to be associated with what I visit on the net.

broadwayboy223
#66Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:09pm

Welp. It was just announced that Matthew will be doing Finding Neverland On Bway. So disappointed. IMO he doesn't have the vocal chops but whatever.

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#67Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:19pm

Guess that's one less show I'll be deciding between when I go to NYC in March. Jeremy Jordan was my only draw to see this, so I'd been hoping he would do the transfer, too.

beautywickedlover
#68Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:30pm

I still hope that Laura Michelle Kelly takes part in the Broadway production.

porthos Profile Photo
porthos
#69Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:36pm

I'd be very surprised if she doesn't get it. She was phenomenal in Cambridge.

I'm wondering what they'll do with the casting of the boys- wether they'll have alternates taking several shows a week or keeping it as it was at the A.R.T and just having child swings nearby. I do hope they keep the same kids that they had- Aiden Gemme in particular was fabulous.

Mattbrain
#70Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 1:53pm

"I still hope that Laura Michelle Kelly takes part in the Broadway production."

Yeah, if SHE gets replaced, THEN I'll be pissed!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#71Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:14pm

I'm curious about the kids too. Anyone of their voices could start to change at any point. I wonder how Broadway shows handle trying to predict that.

I'm hoping Carolee Carmello stays, and most of the ensemble. Gaelen Gilliland is doing Honeymoon in Vegas, but most of the ensemble at A.R.T. was so astonishingly good that I hope they continue if they want to. I'm thinking especially of Thayne Jasperson, Josh Lamon, Melanie Moore, Mary Page Nance, Stuart Neal, Emma Pfaeffle, Jonathan Ritter, and Ron Todorowski.

Revoltingfansie
#72Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:20pm

I'm hoping that Thayne Jasperon is still involved. He was cast in Hamilton, and since it has extended through 3/22, I don't know if he'll be able to do both.

Back Row
#73Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:24pm

I just read that Carolee Carmello will be doing Tuck Everlasting until February 22 as well.

ILuv2shop531
#74Matthew Morrison Confirms He Will Be Back On Broadway This Season
Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:24pm

As of today, Carolee is now attached to Tuck Everlasting at Alliance. It ends February 22nd with previews beginning for Neverland on March 15th. So can she really do both? I didn't see it in Boston so i'm not aware how large her role is. I'm sure they will be beginning rehearsal way before the 22nd.