Sutton Ross
#50First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/28/14 at 10:20pm

Updated On: 10/29/14 at 10:20 PM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#51First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/28/14 at 11:34pm

Everyman=Josh Kaufman=Pippin [hopefully,-let's wait and see].

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#52First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/29/14 at 12:47am

What's with all the hand wringing and pearl clutching? This kid made it to Broadway, and I hope he's a big success. But it seemed to me that Pippin, in both the current version and the 1981 version was a complete babe. And John Rubinstein wasn't bad in his day either.

Clearly they've gone in... another direction. No big deal.

Updated On: 10/29/14 at 12:47 AM

brdway411
#52First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/29/14 at 11:47pm

38 is hardly a kid.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#53First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:39am

Not that it's at all required for the role, but it might be noted that in this clip he looks as if he has a very nice body.

His face strikes me as having an ideal child/man look for the role.

I'm not impressed with the acting and vocals from the clip. But I'm also not convinced that that was representative of what he might be able to deliver in performance.

Updated On: 10/30/14 at 11:39 AM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#54First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:12pm

I think in Fosse's conception it works best if Pippin is young, dumb and hot. Though Michael Rupert was no looker, as you can see.

I look forward to hearing how Josh does.
Michael Rupert Pippin commercial

henrikegerman
#55First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:22pm

Do you think Rubinstein (Fosse's original Pippin) was hot, lovebwy? Or was he perhaps like Rupert, a cute young looking guy with major hair?

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#56First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:26pm

Rubinstein was young and cute, yeah. *Maybe* not HOT per se, but I certainly wouldn't have kicked him out.

Rupert, who I loved in On the Town, BTW, was not as much. Though, aesthetics have evolved since the '70s.

henrikegerman
#57First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:18pm

In any case, it seems you might agree with me that Fosse's original concept doesn't appear to have been a Pippin who would have necessarily been thought of by the great majority of people as a remarkably or conventionally (even considering, as you say, that those conventions change with time, i.e. from the 9th Century to the 1970s to now)) sexy guy.

Updated On: 10/30/14 at 05:18 PM

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#58First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:33pm

I would say that in Fosse's conception the actor that the LP choses to play Pippin would be have to considered young and attractive. I understand that in the original production when Pippin about about to commit suicide the players were simulating masturbation while egging him on to do it. There was almost a virgin sacrifice element to it.

Granted, with the addition of Theo singing Corner of the Sky, and excising the "(I feel) trapped" line changed the conception of the show as it currently stands. Fosse would say the story was all about what was going on between the Lead Player and Pippin. Schwartz has said that it's basically all happening in Pippin's mind. I seem to find Fosse's idea more interesting.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#59First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/31/14 at 9:04am

Anyone going/know anyone going tonight?

A1st
#60First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/31/14 at 10:22am

Going tomorrow!

brdway411
#61First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:41pm

I'm not wasting my time with this casting choice.

Updated On: 11/1/14 at 05:41 PM

IanMorton1
#62First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:27pm

brdway thats so true.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#63First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 10/31/14 at 6:27pm

My cousin did rush today and no one wants to go with her, so I told her I'd go. I will report back for those interested as soon as I'm sober! Hope it doesn't suck!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#64First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/1/14 at 8:20am

How was he?

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#65First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/1/14 at 10:49am

Everybody on twitter seemed to like him!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#66First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/1/14 at 1:55pm

I think the Twitter users are huge Voice fans though.

So, he was alright. He was funnier than previous Pippins, really hamming it up with Rachel Bay Jones. His singing sounded good to me, he was able to squeak out the high notes. But, he isn't an actor, he can't act. I wasn't disappointed, but it's really a different show with him in it. The crowd was very enthusiastic and was really loving him, a full crowd as far I could see.

Showface
#67First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/1/14 at 1:58pm

^And he'll grow into his role

I think he'll move from "alright" to "good" to "pretty good" to "great" in the next few weeks

IanMorton1
#68First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/1/14 at 9:28pm

what would twitter know

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#69First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/1/14 at 9:52pm

"what would twitter know"

Undoubtedly a lot more than you. But we should welcome you back IamMorton1 or would you prefer to be called by your previous incarnations: Moritz Stiefe, Lord Adelbert, Simon Damon, JRRTolkien? At least 5 accounts by you in just 7 months. You've been a busy boy this year.

sparepart973
#70First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/2/14 at 5:34am

I just need Facebook to stop showing me ads of him in the show and telling me to buy tickets. I don't even live in the US.

LostinTranslation
#71First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/2/14 at 11:26am

Meh. Adequate, but nothing to write home about.

My problem really has to do with what they've done with trying to update the songs in how they're sung. I've had the OBC in my head for close to 35 years and it's those melodies I expect and want to hear. I didn't care for how they've reinterpreted "Corner of the Sky," and some of the other tunes. I don't mind them changing how they're generally sung, but I want to hear the original melody.

Updated On: 11/2/14 at 11:26 AM

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#72First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:31pm

So how was he?

smallvillefan16
#73First Listen: Josh Kaufman in PIPPIN
Posted: 11/2/14 at 12:37pm

His voice was good if not a little soft, but he is SO old looking. It was weird to think of him as Pippin.