Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#1Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/5/14 at 8:44pm

Did anyone go tonight/is anyone going later this week? I randomly got a free ticket for Friday and I'm curious to hear how it was!

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Updated On: 11/5/14 at 08:44 PM

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#2Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/5/14 at 11:07pm

I also got a free ticket for Friday, anyone see this?

matineeidol2591
#2Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/5/14 at 11:43pm

Received one of the 100 free tickets to see this on Friday as well. Very excited- especially to see Lauren Worsham as Magnolia.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/5/14 at 11:51pm

You lucky bastards. How'd you manage that?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 12:05am

The NY Philharmonic is offering 100 free tickets for people aged 13-26 for the Friday performance of all their subscription shows.

I got one for Friday, as well. I reserved mine today. I was surprised they were still available.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#5Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 1:50am

Suck it, 27 year olds!

LarryD2
#6Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 9:12am

I was there last night. Overall, it was a terrific evening.

This is a true concert staging, unlike some of the "semi-staged" concerts (Company, Carousel, Sweeney Todd) that the Philharmonic has recently presented. The performers are dressed in formal wear instead of costumes, there's no set to speak of, and props are minimal. The music is the star. Luckily, music theatre doesn't get much better than Show Boat.

The performers are largely fabulous. Lauren Worsham and Julian Ovenden sing beautifully together. Vanessa Williams is an excellent Julie--especially considering she'd only had two days of rehearsal with the company prior to last night's performance. Chris Fitzgerald and Alli Mauzy are perfectly cast as Frank and Ellie, and Natasha Yvette Williams sings the hell out of Queenie's songs.

Norm Lewis may not have the vocal heft that others have brought to the role of Joe, but he sings with great emotion.

Fred Willard did little more than remember his lines--a very stiff stage presence, definitely not what Cap'n Andy should be. He's the only real weak spot, though, and overall it's great.

Updated On: 11/6/14 at 09:12 AM

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#7Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 3:13pm

"Norm Lewis may not have the vocal heft that others have brought to the role of Joe, but he sings with great emotion. "

Yeah, that's precisely the reason his casting seemed odd to me. Wonderful actor, but this a concert.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 4:02pm

^I thought the same thing.

I think Quentin Earl Darrington would make a wonderful Joe.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

grandpianoalex
#9Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 4:18pm

Philip Boykin said he got the offer, but they wouldn't let him miss a week of On The Town! He would have been incredible.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#10Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 4:18pm

Why do they keep ****ing up casting over there with these concerts? You'd think the NY Phil would have their **** together.

LarryD2
#11Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 4:19pm

To clarify: Lewis has a lovely voice, and performed with real feeling. I wasn't trying to put him down. That said, I do still find his casting somewhat odd. He's a light lyric baritone, not exactly the voice type for which the role was written. I would have cast an opera singer (perhaps Eric Owens) or someone like Philip Boykin, but perhaps they decided to go with someone with a more theatrical background to match the rest of the cast.

That said, Lewis does his best within his limits. His voice is beautiful--we know that--just not ideal for this role.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#12Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 4:24pm

Oh, I completely agree. Norm L. has a beautiful and expressive voice, but clearly not one ideal for this role. Still, those limitations didn't seem to stop him getting cast in his most recent Broadway role, either. Shame about Boykin not getting time off from On The Town - he would have been perfect.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#13Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 4:29pm

I was thinking Philip Boynkin as well (just couldn't remember his name).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#14Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 10:54pm

Isherwood didn't like the fact that this production was mostly true to its description as a musical in concert, as opposed to Carousel and Sweeney Todd which were presented almost fully staged.

"For a presentation by a symphony orchestra, more music and less drama is a defensible decision. Yet in other productions, the Philharmonic has found a fine balance between letting the score be the star and allowing beloved Broadway shows to emerge as fully realized musical plays, in which song serves story and vice versa. That’s not the case here."

According to Isherwood, the lack of drama deprived songs like "Bill", "After the Ball", and of course "Ol' Man River" from carrying their usual emotional punch. (He also criticizes Lewis' "Ol' Man River", although conceding that the audience seemed to like it just fine.)

This show is no cheap ticket, which may explain why so many seats are still available. Not sure if this link will work for you.

Isherwood

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#15Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 11:15pm

Well, I, for one, did not remain dry-eyed.

The performances, with the exception of Fred Willard, all moved me. I thought the concert presentation of this worked perfectly, and provided a stage upon which to present the glorious music of the show.

Beautiful evening.

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#16Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/6/14 at 11:23pm

When, I think, Playbill posted video of the concert in rehearsal, I got really excited about this. Everyone seemed at least competent...except Fred Willard. He looked stiff and awkward and barely even phoning it in. At least his performance is consistent?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#17Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/7/14 at 8:10am

Hearing the original, full orchestrations was a treat, as well as the inclusion of songs that weren't in the original score ("It's Getting Hotter in the North," while maybe not as theatrically effective as other songs that have filled its slot, was great to hear - it's perfect Kern writing in his "elegant" vein - like Berlin and "Let's Face the Music"). The acoustics of Avery Fisher Hall, however, always make a theatre score sound less tight, less sharp than they are intended to sound.

Lauren Worsham was, as always, perfect. However I don't think any of the other principals (with the possible exception of Natasha Williams) could really succeed in a real production. Vanessa Williams looks gorgeous and sings carefully (but she never had a thrilling voice to start with, did she? - merely capable). I find Ovendon's voice unbearably harsh and nasal, and as an actor he runs the gamut of A to A. Lewis has tremendous dignity and gravitas and humor, but unfortunately he doesn't have the notes to really make "River" shine. I enjoyed the choice to make Frank & Ellie the comic couple more then the dancing couple, and thought Fitzgerald and Mauzey were very fun.

It was an enjoyable one-off evening, if not really more than a theatrical side dish (rather than a full meal).

LarryD2
#18Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/7/14 at 8:45am

Vanessa Williams looks gorgeous and sings carefully (but she never had a thrilling voice to start with, did she? - merely capable).

Mostly agreed. It's a pleasant, small instrument, but she has the ability to overcome her vocal limitations by singing with great style. That's what I found in her performance as Julie--I completely disagree with Isherwood's characterization of her performance as one-note or unemotional.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#19Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/7/14 at 9:55am

I thought it was a mixed bag. It's wonderful to hear the original orchestrations, and the score contains so many perfect songs. However, I thought this was hindered by subpar casting choices and the lack of stronger direction. Norm Lewis simply does not have the instrument to make "Ol Man River" the powerhouse number it should be; Alli Mauzey seemed to be a poor man's Annaleigh Ashford and, when paired with expert musical comedian Christopher Fitzgerald, her weaknesses were more apparent.

I very much enjoyed Vanessa Williams and Lauren Worsham.

I do think the production could have benefited from a stronger director, who could have possibly helped make the melodramatic scenes work and helped the performers dig a little deeper into the material.

That being said- the old woman's monologue in the finale is so expertly manipulative that it's hard not to feel SOME emotion.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#20Show Boat to be Televised
Posted: 11/7/14 at 11:52am

This just in. Like Carousel, Show Boat will be televised on Live from Lincoln Center. You may wonder why it's called "Live" since it's not a live presentation, like South Pacific was. You may also wonder why they are announcing this when, if I'm reading the theater's web site correctly, they have over 150 premium orchestra seats available for both shows tomorrow. We now return to our regular programming.

In 1988 John McGlinn releases a three CD set of every song ever written for Show Boat. It featured Frederica von Stade and Teresa Stratus.

Every production of Show Boat is different because there are just so many songs to include or exclude. Decisions must be made. Songs were left out of the original due to length, and Kern wrote new songs for the first Broadway revival and the 1936 film.

But I was fascinated to discover that the original final dance number after Gaylord returned, "It's Getting Hotter in the North," had never been used in any major stage production or in any of the three films. I heard it on McGlinn's mega-collection and really liked it.

Someone has finally used the song. Would like to hear it.

Updated On: 11/7/14 at 11:52 AM

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#21Show Boat at Avery Fisher Hall
Posted: 11/7/14 at 7:46pm

To those of you who got Free Friday tickets - where are your seats? I'm sitting in Row Z Seat 12 on the right side.

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby