Emma Stone Stage Door

bfreak
#75Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 10:49pm

Thanks so much. And yes when I went it only took Alan about 15 minutes the first time.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#76Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 10:51pm

When are you going? I know she will be out this weekend for the SAG awards. I will let you know how things play out tomorrow. So excited to see her in this show!

bfreak
#77Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/19/15 at 11:07pm

I am going Wednesday February 4 at 8:00. Was lucky to snatch a $57 mid mezzanine ticket for Broadway week!

musicman_bwayfan
#78Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/20/15 at 4:58am

I know that at one point Emma stopped taking pictures after she had been out sick a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if she's taking pictures with people again after the show? Thanks.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#79Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/20/15 at 5:43am

She stopped taking pictures earlier than that. Based in pictures I've seen on social media, she posed for pictures for her first few performances. I saw her 7th performance and by then she had already stopped posing.

bfreak
#80Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/20/15 at 6:32am

Yes that's true but then I heard some people say that if you do ask her she is too nice usually and takes the picture (she'll usually start in like the middle of the line). I know it sounds crazy, but it's true.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#81Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/21/15 at 10:51am

Alright, first and foremost, Emma Stone is giving one hell of a performance. She doesn't miss a beat. Her singing is fine throughout most of the show (though I think she might be getting a bit sick, because she wasn't able to keep her "girly" singing voice for quite a lot of the show) but she absolutely nails Cabaret. From the singing to her acting, it is incredibly haunting. Her acting is AMAZING, especially in act two. Just a brilliant performance all around and I can't say enough good things about her.

I think something was going on in the theater because the first person that came out was Bill, who was incredibly sweet and gracious. Took pictures with anyone who asked. Alan came out quickly after and signed very quickly and went into the building. Nobody else came out until Emma and it took her about 70 minutes or so. She was very sweet. She was signing VERY quickly and not really talk to anyone, but I was able to tell her something that kept her full attention (I am sorry to the people she wasn't able to talk to, but she thanked me for telling her what I did). I then asked if I could get a picture (the guy didn't say no pictures) and she said "I can't, I'm so sorry. I'm not doing pictures tonight." I then said it was alright, thanked her for her performance and congratulated her on a beautiful performance and her Oscar nomination. She then came back over to me and said "alright, one quick picture." I then pulled out my phone and when I was about to take the picture, my phone died. Crappy moment but it was still really nice. My friend did get a picture of her and I talking though, so that is more than enough. :)

bfreak
#82Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 1/21/15 at 11:53am

Ok happy you enjoyed the show. At least you had a pretty good stage door experience!

bfreak
#83Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/4/15 at 11:45pm

I had an ananazing stage door experience tonight!!! Bill Heck, Emma Stone, and Alan Cumming all came out tonight. Bill Heck came out after about 10 minutes and was very nice and signed and was a really cool guy. Emma came out after only 15 minutes and was sooo sweet. I didn't ask for a picture with her, but I think a few people who asked ended up getting one. She talked quiet and I think she was resting her voice a bit but thanked me and my mother really kindly and with this big beautiful smile that really made the whole thing worthwhile and I could really tell she appreciated what I said to her. Then, Alan Cumming came out 5 minutes after her. He took his time, signed, and was such a nice guy. I told him how much I loved his performances, Cabaret, read his book and he thanked me a million times and made a really nice hand gesture to my shoulder and I was just really happy as I am a huge fan of him. I am still so happy about the show tonight and my stage door experience. I hope you guys have just a good experience if you stage door.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#84Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/5/15 at 12:14am

break, it sounds like a great experience! Was the stage door crazy crowded? I'm wondering if I have to run out of the theater. And did all 3 of them go down the entire length of the barricade (not just the part closest to the door)?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

VintageSnarker
#85Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/5/15 at 12:19am

I went on a day when it rained right before she was going to be out for the SAG awards. No one except the actor who played Cliff came out for the matinee. I am debating whether to just go on another day without seeing the show but I wonder if that would be too crazy.

@mikem Given how crowded things were when it was raining I would leave right after curtain call. You don't need to run but you should probably go out the closest exit.

bfreak
#86Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/5/15 at 12:49am

Yes all three went down the entire baricade and signed for some people that were standing in the back also. They were really street. It wasn't super crazy but you see today was a 2 show day and so since Alan and Emma didn't come out after the matinee today my guess is were that some people were waiting for them who had seen the 2 pm show. I was one of the first out of the theatre, but got a spot pretty far down the barricade. I would go on a one show day to be safe. They really were all sweet and terrific people, and it really was the cherry on the top of the fantastic show that I witnessed!

newenglandgal
#87Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/5/15 at 2:52am

I've been lucky enough to have seen Cabaret twice. The first time I saw it was this past November and I believe Emma Stone had just recently started in the musical. Being rather new to the Broadway scene I was happy that one of the RoundAbout staff told me about how I could get the actor's autographs. (We were chatting during intermission about how we each had a rough few weeks.)
Anyways, I got some assistance to the stage door after the show. Alan came out almost 15 minutes after the show and just signed the Playbill's - no talking, picture taking, etc. With Emma it was quite a wait. She didn't come out to well after midnight. By then there was barely anyone left waiting. Security did say that she wouldn't be talking to save her voice and protect it from the cold weather. She was a sweetheart. She signed everyone's Playbill and took some photo's. I got my Playbill signed and a great photo with her. She actually saw my phone in my hand and came in for a photo, but I apologized to her and said no thank you I can't see to use it in this light. She gave my phone to the unknown woman next to me and the lovely photos were taken !
As far as stage door etiquette, etc. I don't know. I hope I did it right. I wanted to do the same for You Can't Take It With you this past January, but I knew I wouldn't last in the brutal cold that night.

Jspy86
#88Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/5/15 at 7:26pm

Hi, I am seeing Emma this weekend in Cabaret. The 8:00 show on Saturday night. I would really like to meet her after the show. Does anybody know if she signs each night? What are my chances? Thanks so much!

bfreak
#89Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/5/15 at 8:00pm

She will absolutely come out and sign. It may be a bit of a wait though. When I went last night she came out after about 15-20 minutes, but some people have said it could be much longer. She is so sweet and so beautiful that meeting her will feel very special. Get out there quickly though as there were some stragglers already out there that hadn't seen the show. Good luck! ??

Jspy86
#90Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/5/15 at 9:15pm

Bfreak, thank you. Although the show itself should be wonderful, meeting her would surely top the evening. I was only curious because she has two shows on Saturday and I don't want to miss her after my show! Updated On: 2/5/15 at 09:15 PM

bfreak
#91Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 10:24am

Absolutely! Just as long as you're willing to wait a bit (you might not have to) and get out of the theatre quick enough (trust me, I was one of the first out the theatre and ended up towards the end of the barricade, I'd assume it's because it was a 2-show day like yours) she is one of the nicest and sweetest people I've ever met at a stage door (as is Alan and everyone else) and you'll really enjoy meeting her and getting to talk to her. Oh, and prepare to almost fall out of your seat from amazement from her and Alan's performances.

rlb237
#92Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 12:01pm

bfreak, I'm so glad to hear you had a good time at the show and got to meet Emma! I'm hoping to see her after the Sat night show tomorrow (though I'm not actually attending). I was debating if I felt like doing it, but reading your responses about your experience has convinced me that I absolutely have to or risk regretting it immensely. Again, glad you had such a great experience. :)

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#93Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 12:24pm

rlb237, have you seen the show?

rlb237
#94Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 12:32pm

I have! Twice, actually. I saw it once with Michelle Williams in July, and I saw a January matinee with Emma a couple of weeks ago. It was great both times, but Emma did not come out and sign or anything after the matinee.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#95Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 12:37pm

Oh good! :) Happy you got to enjoy Emma's performance. Also jealous you got to see Michelle, I got her understudy when I saw in back in June.

cknick
#96Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 12:42pm

Super jealous of anyone who saw Emma. I saw the show last week and Emma was out. My disappointment got the better of me, but seeing Alan was a real treat. Love his work, and his performance is certainly historic.

rlb237
#97Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 12:56pm

Don't you hate that, n2nbaby? You're all prepared and excited to see someone and then they're out. I know it's the definition of first world problems (haha), but it is a nuisance. My worst experience with that was last year when I saw Aladdin about a week after it opened on a Sat night, and both Adam Jacobs and James Monroe Iglehart were out.

I'd be disappointed if I missed Michelle or Emma too, so I feel your pain too cknick. That is a bummer. I got tix for a 2nd time just for Emma, thankfully she was in and okay. But yeah, Alan is so amazing, he can make up for almost anything. How was Michelle's understudy?

cknick
#98Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 1:10pm

Andrea Goss was on for Emma when I saw the show and she did well. I didn't feel anything "special" about her performance...it was a very safe, "by the book" kind of performance. And her voice was almost too good for Sally Bowles! Her Sally lacked an edge, I think.

I was having a discussion with my friend about "movie stars" like Emma being put into Broadway shows and how difficult it must be to build the strength for eight shows a week. I have tremendous respect for Emma's work and that fueled my disappointment more than anything. I really wanted the chance to see her live, and in such a great role/production! My ticket was not expensive (HIPTIX) and I was only in NYC for a week, so not much I could or wanted to do about it. Hopefully we will see more of her onstage!

jemjeb2
#99Emma Stone Stage Door
Posted: 2/6/15 at 1:25pm

"meeting" (Emma Stone)seems a strong word choice for stagedooring. Is getting an autograph, a picture, or attempting a few words with a performer a "meet". I can imagine starting a conversation beginning, "Oh, I met Emma Stone once. She was very nice.". "Really? How did you meet?!!". "Well, she was leaving the theatre where she had been performing and...". "Oh.'

Maybe it's just semantics- meeting can just be an encounter - and that's what stagedooring is, I guess.

Personally I stagedoored 3 times in my life - twice when I was 18. First time was after "Mame". I knew nothing about stagedooring - accidentally wound up going back of the theatre building after a matinee of "Mame" during its Boston tryout. Ms. Lansbury came out, was wonderful, signed my Playbill and dazzled me - especially so, having just seen her awesome performance in that great show (only my third). It was such a high!

I stagedoored next after a matinee of "The Apple Tree" during ITS Boston tryout. Alan Alda and Larry Blyden came out, signed autographs and were friendly. We were all (about 20 of us) waiting for the glorious Barbara Harris - incredible performance btw. - Well, when she came out ( beige raincoat, sunglasses on a grey afternoon) she clearly took a deep breath and head down and looking very nervous strode quickly by everyone on her way to a waiting car.One woman had the gall to almost grab her shoulder when she walked by, calling "Barbara..Barbara!" Ms.Harris's reaction was almost terror.Harris's clear uncomfortableness with the situation made me feel very embarrassed and quite aware of what an intrusion it was on a star who had just given an exhausting, knock-out performance and wanted only to get to wherever she was going. The incident ended my stagedooring (almost) as I then felt exactly as Fisherman Bob and HogansHero on this subject.

Ok- guilty- I stagedoored again. It was after "Boy from Oz". I didn't plan on it - but there Hugh Jackman was shortly after a matinee right there in front of the Imperial. He seemed so nice and interacting with the fans with jokes etc. I had a souvenir program from the show which I rarely buy - it was a whim- and I thought, "What the hell - why not?". So I joined the throng and got his signature. But then there was this moment - our eyes met - and he seemed to be thinking, "Ok...but why is this (aging) adult man doing this". Or maybe that was what I was thinking...but at any rate, i felt pretty foolish and believe me, that was the last of my stagedooring. I had to laugh (in agreement) with a previous post - stagedooring is one thing if you're a teenager - a grown man has no business being there!
I told this story before - not sure if it was here - sorry if it's a rerun.

Updated On: 2/6/15 at 01:25 PM

Videos