1st Disney Revival?

RW3
#11st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 7:30pm

What Disney show will be the first to get a revival? I think it will either be Beauty and the Beast or Aida.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 7:35pm

idk

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#21st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 7:43pm

Another approach to Tarzan or The Little Mermaid (just with better creative teams)?

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#31st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 7:45pm

I hope Beauty and the Beast everything about it is amazing. I love the score so much. Not one bad song in it.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#41st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 7:45pm

I like how the OP picked the two oldest shows besides the one that is still running. A novel thought.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#51st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 7:46pm

LOL I was thinking the same thing.

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#61st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 8:24pm

the original BATB production was flawless. There's no need to revive it. I'd love to see TLM reimagined. There is a way to make it work. It's sad cause all the actors were perfect in TLM...just everything else wasn't.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#71st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 8:34pm

I'd love to have a reimagined BATB that is darker and not necessarily as reflective of the film. Though it would be decried as a money grab, one in the near future would be amazing, with Laura Osnes as Belle!

temms Profile Photo
temms
#81st Yazbek Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 8:39pm

What Dave Yazbek show will be the first to get a revival? I think it will be either The Full Monty or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Updated On: 11/14/14 at 08:39 PM

ShakinBaconGirl
#91st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 8:39pm

The original Broadway show isn't all cheerful like the film. The beast sings a whole song about wanting to commit suicide. Gaston is also much darker, he hits belle. Not sure I get why you would want the girl who played Cinderella to play Belle in a darker version lol.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#101st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 9:14pm

Osnes has said she'd like to play Belle. And a darker version would open the door to a bit more than Laura doing "just another princess". (Although I would have no problem with that!)

Nateben2 Profile Photo
Nateben2
#111st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 9:50pm

It would be tricky . . . would they allow it to be revival with a different design, different look, etc? or would they just want to remount the show.

Given the way some people react to the differences between the German Production of Hunchback and the La Jolla / Paper Mill production - it seems like if they tinker with something for better or for worse, they fan base might get upset.

Pull too far from the movie, and you get something else.

It will be tricky for Disney to let a revivial happen . . . but I could see them doing a remount as a revivial (think of it as letting their Broadway hits come out of the vault like their DVDs).

Jeffrey Karasarides
#121st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:07pm

Maybe ABC should get in on the action and do live musical broadcasts of Beauty & the Beast, Aida, Tarzan, Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid, and/or Newsies!

CurtainsUpat8 Profile Photo
CurtainsUpat8
#131st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:08pm

How about we close all current Disney shows from Broadway and ban any revivals?! Keep these shows in the theme parks where they belong.

ShakinBaconGirl
#141st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:11pm

I'm sorry but that is just an asinine comment. Disney theatricals have made some astounding shows. Lion King, BATB, Mary Poppins and Aladdin had/have every right to be on Broadway.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#151st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:19pm

The Lion King

....but the world goes 'round

CurtainsUpat8
#161st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:20pm

There is nothing astounding about any of these shows. They aren't good pieces of theatre, they are tourist trap crap. They have turned Broadway into a circus. IMHO they can all leave and never come back. The only reason they have a "right" to be there is that they make money... or some of them do. They are lousy shows and would be great in a theatre in Disneyland. I've been going to Broadway for 40 years. These shows, and Wicked, and MOST of the other MEGA shows are crap. Mama Mia! That should have lasted about two weeks. Wicked is a HORRIBLE piece of theatre. Good riddance to all of them.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#171st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:25pm

^F*CK YOU, ASSHOLE!

CurtainsUpat8
#181st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:31pm

Some of you have no sense of the history of Broadway. You think it all started with Wicked. You don't know much about anything before that. It has a very rich, long history. If you love theatre, take the time to learn about the history of Broadway. You can call me names all you like but I am frankly sickened by what passes as good theatre nowadays on Broadway. I just got back from a play at Manhattan Theatre Club. "By the Water"... it was better in so many ways than 50 Mary Poppins.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#191st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:34pm

I can't really see Disney mounting revivals anytime soon. They'll keep trying to squeeze compelling theater out of their marvelous catalog to varying degrees of success until they've run out of options. Maybe then we'll see BEAUTY & THE BEAST return at last.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

ShakinBaconGirl
#201st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 10:36pm

You are insane. So much wrong with your comments I don't know where to begin. Tell me you are trolling.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#211st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 11:21pm

CurtainsUpat8
I completely agree with your opinion, but I have to say that Lion king and Batb do deserve to be on broadway. Wicked and Mamma Mia on the other hand, are simply awful and should not be the mega musicals that they are.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#221st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 11:26pm

CurtainsUp.... Umm, don't go to Disney shows? Seems like a pretty easy fix.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#231st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 11:27pm

Although Curtain's post sounds slightly aggressive, he makes some excellent points.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#241st Disney Revival?
Posted: 11/14/14 at 11:29pm

^He really does.

Videos