pixeltracker

An American in Paris first performance- Page 3

An American in Paris first performance

Curious3
#50An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/3/14 at 4:10pm

Horsetears:

Yes this is a very interesting question and I surely hope so and that this may point as a trend: Big lavish dance (tap, jazz, ballet) prominent shows with musical scores and songs of real depth and craftsmanship. Not to say such shows do not come along each season or two, but ON THE TOWN, and AMERICAN IN PARIS are truly very special, but there's no accountin' for taste (or lack thereof). With AMERICAN IN PARIS one of the things that makes this truly unique is that this is NOT a revival, this is an original B'way Musical based on a beloved MGM musical. ON THE TOWN has been produced on B'way and throughout the country many times. Will AMERICAN have an edge because of this? Time, as they say, will tell.

Updated On: 12/3/14 at 04:10 PM

ELP
#51An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:15pm

Excellent point Curious3!

I'd also like to add that LB and Gershwin offer different musical "palettes" so to speak, at least to my ears, and don't believe that one competes with the other, even choreographically, and they should both flourish.
If anything, from what's been posted here on the Paris show, I believe the 2 shows have the potential of feeding off each other by (thankfully) re-kindling what traditional Broadway musical theater has been so lacking in for years.
What An American In Paris has in its favor will be the curiousity of its "originality", a brand new Gershwin Broadway musical with all the "goodies", created from one of the most recognized musical compositions, and movies, of our lifetime.

Curious3, brilliant minds think alike!An American in Paris first performance

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#52An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/3/14 at 8:22pm

Curious and ELP - I don't disagree with anything you've said. I'm excited about seeing both of these productions, as I imagine most regular musical theatre audiences are. But, I do wonder about casual theatre audiences and many tourists - both productions will sound awfully similar - period pieces, lots of ballet choreography, classic music by great 20th C. American composers, no major names - that it could become a bit of an either/or choice for many people. Anyway, not my job to worry about that.

ELP
#53An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/4/14 at 12:45pm

.But, I do wonder about casual theatre audiences and many tourists>

Hmm, what would you think the majority of the above people's response to the question of which show's title they are more familar with? Doesn't mean that AAIP (if that was the majority response) would be the show they'd buy tix for and not OTT.
Yes, of course I'm bias to anything Gershwin. But, one could surmise that because the movie is so memorable and timeless and the title so recognizable as compared to OTT - you'd think the sway goes to AAIP if it's an "either/or", from this category of theatergoer as you described (casuals + tourists).
Just my bias 2 cents.

Updated On: 12/4/14 at 12:45 PM

Curious3
#54An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/11/14 at 8:56am

So happy to have witnessed the Paris premiere of this powerful music/drama. An amazing reimaging of the iconic MGM film. The book is so much deeper and with dance sequences far more reaching. The extraordinary powerhouse of a second act takes this show to a dizzying height. Sets, costumes, lighting design, orchestrations all of the highest most imaginative and of striking beauty. The cast, especially as represented in the dance sequences, cannot be bettered. If this sounds like a rave that would be an understatement. With that being said, Act one could use some tightening with an extra bolt of intensity and higher energy, it. does set the story well. But then....the exraordinary 2nd Act is KILLER great. Overall, don't miss this at any cost.

Curious3
#55An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/11/14 at 9:11am

I should also mention the leads. They are all solid B'way performers. Singers, dramatic actors with comic timing. Then the DANCING. This cannot be equaled on any stage except the finest ballet companies and even then, the B'way medium is special and this group will stun you.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#56An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/11/14 at 10:56am

I had the same thought, can NYC support ON THE TOWN and PARIS in the same already challenging, anxiety-making for producers season. But they are at opposite ends of the producing year, and let's be grateful for the extraordinary, loving care both shows have received. And imagine the possibility of the two in one day? A perfect Wednesday or Saturday in spring? Exhilarating, by any definition.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Curious3
#57An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/13/14 at 12:34pm

So far the early London ( London Telegraph) and French (Le Figaro)
Reviews are in and they are raves. More to come. I've seen the production two times this week and am going again tonight (Saturday). Believe me, this thing is special.

Pasdechat
#58An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/17/14 at 6:27am

So I am a little bit behind but got to see the show last Friday and absoluetly adored it, too! What a delight. I am reparing the praise of previous posters but just have to do it as it was so beautiful.
The set - so simple but effectful and elegant. Love how they found this approach as opposed to building mega-musical flashlight scenery. I really felt like the kids of Mary Poppins when stepping into the paintings!

The cast - pure delight, leads as well as ensemble. When Robert Fairchild started singing "beginner's luck" my mouth literally dropped open and stayed this way the whole song. He can sing, and not just "foaYr a non-singer"! And of course he danced beautifully and with his charisma, he could really threaten the Michael Bubles of this world. He should definitely do more musical theater, it just serves him really well to show his many talents beyond ballet (I am a clssically trained ballet dancer, but there's just so much you can get out of a Prince Siegfried acting-wise...). Also leading lady Leanne Cope was so well cast. She looks like the sweet ingenue every man would fall for, without her being aware of her charms. Kind of that Audrey Hebpurn quality, really. Max van Essen played his part effortlessly funny. Oh, they were all great.

Overall the evening went past so quickly, it was very fluid, light, old-school in a good way and makes you want to use silly metaphors like "as delightful as a macaron" or "sweet like a baiser", that's how infused we got. You're in for a treat!

The audience rose to their feet and there were many ticket searchers in front of the theater before the performance. We went to see a spectcular ballet at Opera Garnier the next day, but I would say An American in Paris is the hottest ticket in town right now.

decast
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#60An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:35pm

For those who have seen this, what is the set like?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Dubliner
#61An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/19/14 at 6:32pm

Its quite simple - just bare flats at the side and the stage is left mostly free for the dance. Its very low tech and much the better for it. There are various cut out pieces that are flown in like perspectives of the Hausmann boulevards that are cleverly arranged in different ways to create different locales. These are then projected on, sometimes in a very vague way and sometimes with more more detail. They are subtly animated so they come to life as sketches or watercolours. The whole effect is very fluid, impressionistic and dreamlike. It seems to capture Paris and the period without being too literal.There are lots of smaller free standing pieces that are moved by the dancers and it is absolutely exquisite to see these assemble and then melt away. The main ballet which is set on the Chatelet stage uses projections and pieces that are geometric and abstract like a Delaunay painting.

Updated On: 12/19/14 at 06:32 PM

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#62An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/20/14 at 2:57pm

The review excerpts from 'Le Monde' and 'Paris Match' in BWW's review roundup also provide some information about the sets.
Review roundup

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#63An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/21/14 at 1:49am

Wasn't the live radio broadcast of the show tonight? How did that go? Did anyone listen?

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#64An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/23/14 at 10:53pm

Does anyone have a list of the musical numbers in this show? Curious to know if they've kept everything from the movie in the show...

Curious3
#65An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/23/14 at 11:36pm

"By Strauss" and "Tra La La" are out, "Beginners Luck" and "Fidgety Feet" are in. The Piano Concerto in F, and the three piano preludes (orchestrated) have been added. Tra La La was a major tap number for G. Kelly and I believe the approach was to remove direct comparisons between Kelly and Fairchild, that is as far as pure tap is concerned. Please be assured that Fairchild is absolutely remarkable but his dance routines are jazz/ballet. This show is not a TAP show. The dance numbers ARE spectacular. Christopher Wheeldon, is one of the truly great choreographers and this show maximizes that fact.

Updated On: 12/23/14 at 11:36 PM

Pasdechat
#66An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/24/14 at 4:07am

Act I:
Love is here to stay (ensemble)
Concerto in F for piano and orchestra (dance number)
I got rhythm (Henri, Adam, Jerry and ensemble)
Second prelude for piano
Beginner's luck (Jerry)
The man I love (Lise)
'S wonderful (Adam, Henri, Jerry and ensemble)
Soon (Milo)
Second rhapsody for piano and orchestra (dance)

Act II
Fidgety feet (Jerry, Adam and ensemble)
Who cares (Milo, Adam and Henri)
For you, for me, for evermore (Lise, Henri, Jerry, Milo)
But not for me (Adam and Milo)
I'll build a stairway to paradise (Henri, Adam and ensemble)
An American in Paris (dance)
Love is here to stay (ensemble)
They can't take that away from me (Adam)
Epilogue (dance)

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#67An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/24/14 at 2:57pm

Thank you @pasdechat!!

Teleferix
#68An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 12/27/14 at 7:19am

Back to the Théâtre du Châtelet for a second performance !

Thanks to Santa Claus, I had a ticket for yesterday evening (12/26) and I have to admit that there is a clear evolution compared to the rehearsal. The choreography has slightly evolved, there are new accessories and the show has been shorten a little bit I think making it more flowing.

It is also globally stronger and more efficient. I had a seat further from the stage and thus had the opportunity to appreciate the scenery which is still looking great.

There are no playbills like on Broadway in Paris so I bought a program before the show and stagedoored after it. It was quite funny because people usually do not do it in France and therefore I was almost the only one asking autographs (including a Charlie Sutton one on my Kinky Boots Playbill...) and pictures. Really nice to conclude that great evening !

To put it in a nutshell, it was good one month ago. It's even better today ! Get ready for for it when on Broadway !

T.PARIS

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#69An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 1/22/15 at 12:39am

thanks for sharing!

#70An American in Paris first performance
Posted: 1/22/15 at 8:49am

Is there a discount code for the Broadway run yet?