pixeltracker

Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question

Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question

PHudson
#1Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:19pm

Hello there guys!

I will be visiting broadway for the first time this summer and I wanted to ask you whether you knew any good websites where I could book a cheap hotel room? During my search I came across this website and I wanted to ask whether you maybe had any experience with it: http://new-york.hotelscheap.org/ ?
And if not, whether you could recommend me one?

Thanks in advance!

1000songs
#2Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:31pm

what do you mean by cheap ?
I hate really vague and wooly questions

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:35pm

Kayak and Orbitz are fine for NY hotels. New York is expensive, there's no way around that. People uncomfortable with the prices usually stay in Jersey, and take a bus.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#3Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:38pm

Row NYC is - in my experience and I think several people here agree - one of the most affordable and nice hotels in midtown.

You might also consider hostels if cost is a major factor for you and you don't plan to spend much time "home" during the trip or care about frills.

Phantom4ever
#4Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 9:43pm

I use hotels.com because I get a free night after 10 nights. Works well.

New York hotels are expensive and the rooms are tiny. However, the price of the hotel can vary widely depending on location, amenities, and the time of year/day of week.

Questions to consider:

Are you ok with having to take a subway/taxi to the theater district from your hotel, or do you need to be walking distance?

What is more important to you? Comfort, price, or convenient location? Because you can't have all three!

The Hotel Carter and New York Inn are both relatively cheap hotels right in the theater district. But you will have to contend with things that are nothing to some people, and a dealbreaker to others. Do you need a working TV in your room? a phone? big towels? working heat and/or AC? reasonably soundproofed roof? a private bathroom? a comfy bed? If you can forgo those things, then by all means stay at the New York Inn or Hotel Carter. I would highly suggest that you cough up the extra cash and stay at a place like the Edison Hotel, or even the Paramount or Row.

Since it is your first time visiting "Broadway" is it safe to assume that it will be your first time in New York? Then maybe you do want to give yourself a break and get a room in Times Sq. New York as a tourist can be very overwhelming for a first-time visitor because there is A LOT of walking and public transit. It may be too much to run around all day and then still have to fight the crowds/figure out the subway to get to your shows. At least with a Times Sq hotel, you will pay more, but you can go back to your room before the show and relax and wait.

indytallguy
#5Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 10:29pm

It can be a bit of a pain but sometimes breaking a longer stay into two stays at different hotels can save you a lot of money. Some hotels are much better for weekend rates. Others seem to have better deals on week days. I'm coming for a weekend in January and saved a fair amount by getting a reservation at one hotel Friday night and another hotel for Saturday and Sunday.

If you're subway friendly, rates in the financial district and downtown are often fairly decent on the weekend.

sctrojan65
#6Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 10:33pm

Check out the Hotel Chandler as another possibility.
A friend and I got a great rate last summer. It's located at 12 E. 31st St.
It's a little bit of a walk to the Broadway theater district but not horrible at all.
Nice sized room. Well-appointed. Clean. Great staff.
I'd check out the different hotel sites to see if they have good prices, or even the hotel site itself.
I think we booked as late as May or June. Our trip was in July. Still got a great price.

ArtMan
#7Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 10:38pm

Rates in the summer are even higher. I stayed for the first time last September, at Chelsea Hostel. I had a private room with shared bath (for one night) for $75 including tax. I will be staying there next June for five nights, private room and bath for $85 per night, including tax. It is outside of Times Square and more inconvenient to get from point A to B. But the low price, far outweigh the cons. Of course the room is nothing but a bed and a dresser. No tv,etc. But I'm not there to watch tv. Does have air conditioner. Plus, depending on your preference, it's right in the heart of Chelsea. So, that is a plus.

Updated On: 12/14/14 at 10:38 PM

Gothampc
#8Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 10:56pm

"The Hotel Carter...are both relatively cheap hotels right in the theater district. But you will have to contend with things that are nothing to some people, and a dealbreaker to others."

Thinks like the skeletons of dead prostitutes under the mattress.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ArtMan
#9Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/14/14 at 10:59pm

The Hotel Carter is no longer cheap. They have doubled and tripled their prices (compared to previous years) depending on what time of year you stay.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#10Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/15/14 at 1:03am

It's a little shabby and the rooms are, indeed, small but I like the Mayfair, right next to the Eugene O'Neill, where "Book of Mormon" is playing.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#11Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/15/14 at 1:19am

Here's a great source for staying in Times Square-Broadway District in NYC..not sure what you mean by cheap as NYC is not a cheap place to stay but this should help you out and guide you in the right direction.

http://www.timessquarenyc.org/hotels/index.aspx#.VI58lyvF-3Q

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

regnad kcin Profile Photo
regnad kcin
#12Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/15/14 at 12:13pm

Do priceline.com. If you're uncomfortable bidding, do the Express Deals -- still significant savings. Look for hotels in Times Square, stick to 3 stars or above to be on the safe side. We've been doing Priceline for nearly a decade now, and never been disappointed with the hotel selection.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#13Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/15/14 at 12:44pm

Another thought: If you're thinking of booking a particular "cheap" New York hotel, check the bedbug registry before you take the plunge. Just in case.

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#14Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/15/14 at 2:38pm

Not cheap, but not outrageously expensive, is the Yotel at 42nd Street and 10th Avenue. Rooms are tiny, but have a stylish boutique hotel look. Appealing to younger people. Http://yotelnewyork.com

There is also the relatively new CitizenM on West 50th Street in the theatre district. Tiny rooms, but very stylish. http://www.citizenm.com/destinations/new-york/new-york-times-square-hotel

There were also quite a number of generic, but otherwise decent (and relatively new) chain-type hotels (such as Holiday Inn Express) located in Midtown, mostly between 30th and 40th Street and Fifth and Ninth Avenue. Anywhere in Midtown is highly convenient for the theatre and major tourist areas – either on foot or simple subway ride.

Manhattan hotel prices vary a lot, especially if there are major events or conventions in town. Business people (paying full price) can drive up prices, as can leisure travelers during special occasions (Thanksgiving, Christmas). If you have flexibility, start checking prices now and you may notice rates at the same hotel may be higher/lower on certain weeks over others. Even the day of the week can mean a big difference in price – Sundays, for example, are usually less expensive because they are less desirable to both business (weekday) and leisure (weekend) travelers.

You should also factor in your time in the cost of your accommodation. Are you going to be spending much of your time in the theatre district? Central Park? Museums? Greenwich Village? Consider the time you’ll be spending going to and from your hotel and whether you can do that on foot or will need a subway/taxi – and how comfortable you feel riding the subway at night, for example. Me, I usually like to stay near Times Square because I like to be able to walk back to my hotel after an evening performance.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/15/14 at 5:23pm

Row NYC is the old Milford Plaza (whose vertical sign still adorns the side of the building).

It is nothing fancy but you cannot beat the location. Walk outside & go around the corner and you are right near the Majestic with Phantom & the soon to be vacant St James . The Broadhurst and Shubert are up the block as is Shubert alley. You cannot get more centrally located than that. The area is also abundant with reasonably priced restaurants.

Poster Emeritus

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#16Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/16/14 at 1:58pm

Cheap is relative when it comes to NYC. Do you want clean sheets? How far do you want to travel to get to Broadway?

Not to be confused with Dave19.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17Visiting Broadway for the first time - hotel question
Posted: 12/16/14 at 2:02pm

If you want to put something on your bucket list and than cross it off, live DANGEROUSLY & book the Hotel Carter. It may be closing soon (rumored to be on the block for replacement) so you may not have this opportunity again.

Poster Emeritus