INTO THE WOODS...

TazTarney Profile Photo
TazTarney
#50INTO THE WOODS...
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:02pm

"a humanization of the Giant I hadn't seen before."

Can you expand on that? Sounds interesting.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#51INTO THE WOODS...
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:11pm

No. He can't.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#52INTO THE WOODS...
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:23pm

Wrong, Jordan. I can.

I just won't.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53INTO THE WOODS...
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:27pm

Even better. :)

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#54INTO THE WOODS...
Posted: 12/28/14 at 11:14pm

AMEN, bettyboy. And your three criteria (**** blowing up, onstage cities, and people flying) are SPOT ON!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#55INTO THE WOODS...
Posted: 12/28/14 at 11:23pm

I LOVED LOVED LOVED everything about this production. Well except for Cinderella's Prince, I thought he was just beyond dreadful. I didn't know what to expect going into this but I really was blown away by it. It's definitely something I'll see a few more times before it leaves.

I'm so glad to hear you say that, Jordan. I think you expressed your hesitation about this production when it was announced, but very glad such a lover of the piece enjoyed it. I saw this in Princeton and was enamored.

I also saw the Oregon production in LA....so glad this is the production to have made it to NY. I think it's marvelous.

LightsOut90
#56INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/7/15 at 1:41am

Saw this tonight, the production concept is fantastic but jesus was it rough watching 8 of 10 people not be able to sing a note and be totally miscast, i can't remember the last time a show left me so disappointed, whoever thought programming this while the movie was in theaters was a good idea is a fool, the critics are going to destroy this thing.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#57INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/11/15 at 6:59pm

Saw this today. I liked much of the inventive staging, and was pleasantly surprised that it was much more than just a piano orchestration. The music for the Witch's rap and all of her songs was just fantastic. Also ADORED the guitar and banjo for Jack and his Mother's music. Also, Wonderful lighting and set design.

The biggest problem: it's clear that nobody in the cast is quite a strong or experienced singer. Sondheim's music doesn't require amazing singers, but some of these actors had trouble holding notes without wavering. Best voices were probably Jennifer Mudge and Emily Young, although Mudge even had some issues during Children Will Listen.

I pretty much hated the Princes doubling as the Stepsisters, and the very obnoxious concept for the cow. Most of the audience found it amusing, but it kept irritating me. The Princes were not great, and certainly don't look or sound like Princes, but I get it.... "they're putting on a show."

I must mention: I was sitting smack middle of the subscriber section, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I was surrounded by elderly people sleeping, snoring, fidgeting, going through their purses, etc. Also, there were several people checking their cell phones during the darkest moments of the production. Really? People have no shame. I would have expected some more sophistication from subscribers seeing an Off-Broadway production, but can't say that I am too surprised.

Updated On: 1/11/15 at 06:59 PM

sueb1863 Profile Photo
sueb1863
#58INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/11/15 at 7:13pm

Apparently Billy Magnussen (Rapunzel's Prince in the movie) went to a performance of this show a few nights ago. No idea what he thought of it, but he posed for a picture with one of his fans on Tumblr!

http://itstimetoleavethewoods.tumblr.com/post/106971728917/met-billymagnussen-at-into-the-woods-tonight

http://itstimetoleavethewoods.tumblr.com/post/107287310732/okay-but-lets-talk-about-how-when-i-met-billy Updated On: 1/11/15 at 07:13 PM

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#59INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/22/15 at 9:26am

Went to this because I'm a Roundabout subscriber, but was (emotionally) kicking and screaming. Happy to admit I was totally wrong (well, almost). The last few productions in NYC have been very disappointing, but this one truly captures the spirit of the piece with few tricks but lots of heart and imagination. Yes, I missed the wonderful Tunick orchestrations (only a small handful of musicians, some of them doubling as actors), but I could hear and understand every word, every lyric. And yes, some of the double casting didn't work (and "Agony" demands to be sung really well, and it wasn't, and having the princes double as the wicked stepsisters, mincing around the stage in the most offensive stereotypical way, was its own "agony") But, even without standout performances, a true ensemble rendition of an amazing show. I think Steve Sondhem and Jim Lapine would be generally pleased.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#60INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/22/15 at 11:21pm

OK-Brantley loved it. Other reviews pretty good too.
I haven't seen it so I should keep still but...
Brantley alludes to the fact that this production does what others haven't-including the Broadway production. I saw the Broadway production at least a dozen times, including the fabulous closing matinee. The show was glorious to look at and listen to.

All the best to this new production but I am tired of reading reviews that state that NOW we can fully understand what the show means, etc.

They did that to subsequent productions of Pacific Overtures, a show, IMO, was spectacular at the Winter Garden. Saw it 17 times. Never needed to be "scaled" down.

There. I'm done.

Updated On: 1/22/15 at 11:21 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#61INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/23/15 at 1:22am

Ya...Brantley loved it and not at all surprised that he did. This production is amazing and I can't wait to see it again in February.

Brilliant of roundabout to be the group to bring this amazing production to New York!

NY Times Critics' pick

indytallguy
#62INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/23/15 at 4:51am

It is interesting that Brantley's entire review focuses on the show's concept with next to no comments about the specific performers and how they do in their roles. And given some of the comments here about the inability of some cast members to sing their roles, Brantley's comment that their signing has improved since he saw the show two years ago isn't particularly encouraging. I think I may still sit this one out.

FutureDirector
#63INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/25/15 at 7:17pm

If your going to a musical just for the vocals, stay out of the theatre and go to concerts. Theatre is about story telling first as so many productions of musicals forget. Sure none of these performers are classically trained opera singers (though one or two you could convince me otherwise) what the performances in fiacos "Into the Woods" have are some of the strongest and most nuanced characterizations I've seen in years. They approach the behemoth songs with such ease and natrual presence that reminds you what they are actually singing about, which in my book beats belting the hell out of them. This cast makes you fall in love and get your heart broken by these characters while highlighting the story telling in a show about the power of storytelling. They remind us how exciting it is to be told these story's as kids by telling them in a way that make them feel like we've never heard them before. If you want a stuffy, bland but well sung concert then it may be best for you to sit this one out, but if you want an invigorating, energetic and powerful production that proves why this is one of the best musicals every written then get a ticket while you can because theyre going fast.

indytallguy
#64INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 1/25/15 at 7:29pm

"If your going to a musical just for the vocals, stay out of the theatre and go to concerts. "

If you are replying directly to me, you've got a whole lot of projecting and assuming going on. I don't go to musicals just for the vocals, but I also don't pay top dollar for musicals if the cast can't sing their roles, particularly if it may get in the way of the story they are telling as some, not all, have suggested has been the case with this production.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#65INTO THE WOODS (Roundabout )
Posted: 3/3/15 at 10:29am

I saw this 2 weekends ago and found it to be the best production of “Into the Woods” I have seen (live). I count “Into the Woods” as my favorite musical (if I was forced to choose), but had yet to see a production that I truly loved (despite seeing a number of productions). This one, however, brought out everything in this wonderful show that it should. It is a really fulfilling, smart, funny, moving experience at the theatre.

And, for those averse to seeing it because of its “concept”, I urge you to go. There is nothing I despise more in the direction/execution of a show than doing things just to do them without the motivation coming straight from the text. However, what Fiasco is doing with this production never felt like a “concept” to me. It felt more like an idea of working only with what they had/needed in order to not get in the way of the already strong book/score and letting the text and themes (as Kad said) speak for themselves. There is so much that happens in all of these lines and so much to ponder and truly take in with every moment and this production gives you the chance to do that. They give you the chance to hear each of those lines and do a wonderful job of emphasizing the moments the characters are having (all in a very naturalistic way that lets you experience it WITH the character, without it being told and blatantly pointed out that you SHOULD be noticing that this is a moment).

I thought the deconstruction of the music worked wonderfully. It fit with the feel and intimacy of the piece and I absolutely LOVED how they use different instruments based off of the household/character. I actually felt like it brought out many moments and musical themes in the piece that I hadn’t noticed before.

I also loved the sense of unity between the actors onstage. It really added to the relationships between everyone and I really, really cared about each character and they seemed to care about each other.

I thought The Witch was the most human I have ever seen her played and I was taken aback by the emotional power that held.

On a side note, in the moments that should be funny, this production is truly hilarious. But, only when it’s called for – never are they trying to get audience reaction out of moments that don’t call for it.

*SLIGHT SPOILER* The moment after Jack’s Mother and Rapunzel die and the actresses playing them slowly get up and get in place for their other characters was absolutely brilliant and moving. The emotional depth within that scene was unlike any other production I’ve seen and the impact of it really heightened the rest of the show for me. *END SLIGHT SPOILER*

I never felt like a moment was wasted or brushed over and I’m amazed by the amount of new things and ideas within the script/score this production brought out to me. It was extremely affecting and I’m so glad to have gotten to see it.

Videos