pixeltracker

Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking- Page 2

Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking

FindingNamo
#25Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 1:03pm

Robbie's post was the perfect illustration of comedy gold, from chuckles to giggles to LOLs to an eruption of guffaws.

Welcome everybody, to Namo's Looking Thread of Sanity.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#26Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 1:10pm

I've never seen a show with characters this unlikeable. Everything about Augustine and the way that actor plays him repulses me. Groff's character is a total joke. I don't mind Richie and pretty much only because he's cute.

Wildcard
#27Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 2:23pm

The characters in Queer as Folk were unlikable.

Augustin's beard repulses me. He needs to trim that scruff up! Richie has too many issues, I don't see why Patrick would want to date him. It's worth watching to me because of Russell Tovey and his many butt scenes.

FindingNamo
#28Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 4:27pm

I've watched TV shows and movies and plays about unlikeable characters. The thing is, the story needs to be compelling and the writing has to be good.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#29Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 4:46pm

I'd argue that most of the cast of TRANSPARENT is unlikable, or at the very least, do incredibly selfish, unlikable things. What makes us invested, I think, is the fact that everyone is playing for keeps. Each of the character's stakes are extremely high, allowing the terrific actors to dig deep. That's what makes even the most unlikable of people (and/or actions) compelling. Nothing compelling is happening on LOOKING. I was really willing to give into the mumblecore of it all with the hope that something interesting would be revealed at some point. A quiet but profound statement on life can be just as invigorating as something that makes its point with a bit more noise...but that is not happening here and it's way too little way too late.

I'm still gonna watch it...just to be able to post in Namo's cool kids thread!

FindingNamo
#30Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 4:47pm

LOL. You called it that, not me!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#31Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 10:07pm

I still never watched more than the first three or four episodes of season one, but I love this thread so much.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#32Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 10:10pm

I watched two episodes of season one and was bored out of my mind. I watched the first episode of the current season this weekend with a friend who likes the show. Again--bored senseless. My friend said--as people always do of sh*tty shows they love--that "it's not usually like this."

But I suspect it is.

FindingNamo
#33Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 10:11pm

::My friend said--as people always do of sh*tty shows they love--that "it's not usually like this."::

I find that kind of endearing.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#34Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 10:12pm

To be fair, I'm sure I've said that, too.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 10:13pm

It got better before it got worse.

FindingNamo
#36Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/20/15 at 10:16pm

I can remember saying that when trying to get people interested in soap operas back when I did what MontrealEric likes to do with all the blanks in Looking: Imagine them filled in off camera. I distinctly remember assuming Luke and Laura worked out the whole rape he inflicted on her over a weekend, or some other time BEFORE they got married in the early-'80s. Turns out they didn't get around to dealing with it for over two decades.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#37Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/21/15 at 12:42am

"I watched two episodes of season one and was bored out of my mind. I watched the first episode of the current season this weekend with a friend who likes the show. Again--bored senseless. My friend said--as people always do of sh*tty shows they love--that "it's not usually like this."

But I suspect it is."

I like the show, but if after watching 3 of the 10 episodes that have aired right now bored you, and your friend claims they were atypical (which, they weren't...) I don't think you're going to see an episode that will change your mind. I've learned the hard way not to get a friend who doesn't like or know a show that you do to watch an episode with you. It was a hard lesson to learn :P

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#38Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/21/15 at 10:23am

I've learned the hard way not to get a friend who doesn't like or know a show that you do to watch an episode with you. It was a hard lesson to learn :P

I think I'll probably die never having learned that lesson.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#39Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/26/15 at 10:55am

Well...we've reached a new level of 'Homo say WHAT?' with the douche/enema conundrum that stared poor, put-upon Paddy in the face this week. What started as sweetly endearing moved briskly towards annoyingly naive to straight up 'Did you fall down and hit your head????' with this episode. There is some low-rent Flowers for Algernon sh*t happening up in here. And as adorable as I find Mr. Groff, I never, ever needed to seem him ass-in-air as he let the cooling waters of the Fleet enema do its thing.

Let's not even get into the whole Dolores Mounts and Mandingo subplot that would be terribly offensive if it weren't presented in such a boring fashion. Jesus H. Christ...I almost kicked the TV for the Fudgie the Whale bit that seemed especially inserted to sh*t on my childhood.

The Big One can't come soon enough to eradicate all of these stupid hateful people.

I cannot wait for next week's episode!

Updated On: 1/26/15 at 10:55 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#40Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/26/15 at 2:19pm

I know the writing and the character suck, but I am the only one who thinks the guy playing Augustine is a REALLY terrible actor? He comes off as incredibly amateur to me.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#41Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/26/15 at 6:14pm

The enema scene was not necessary but I did find the bit with him actually using it amusing as his comment to himself during is probably the same thought we all have. Still not sure I needed to actually see it though. And I can't decide if the sex scene at the end was intentionally awkward or just awkward acting by Groff and Tovey.

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#42Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/26/15 at 6:55pm

"I know the writing and the character suck, but I am the only one who thinks the guy playing Augustine is a REALLY terrible actor?"

This just made me LOL. A friend and I were just talking about the importance of these top-tier classical acting programs and the talent they produce... The actor who plays Augustine was trained at Juilliard. Hehe.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#43Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/27/15 at 2:06am

It was nice to see Matthew Risch reprising his role as a bear this week and being naked. I wondered what he was up to. Only redeeming part.

All the characters are just terrible but I am enjoying hate watching. Patrick has become a completely unsympathetic moron. I have no empathy for him. Groff needs to stay out of the sun-way too lined for being so young.

Augustine makes me physically ill-he strikes me as being just dirty (as in unhygienic) and vile on every level. That queeny bear and him will make an unwatchable couple.

I do like Dom a lot but his balls were cut off too. Do any of these characters have an emotional compass or some drive?

Weedman got some more fag hag mintsrel show with her mugging and running about and being moronic and inappropriate. God forbid they let her be mature in a relationship. Nope, just kvetching about how big a dick is and jumping in between two gay men in bed.

I hope they pull the plug. Id love to see how they wrap up these awful people in the 5 episodes left.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#44Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking
Posted: 1/27/15 at 8:43am

Let's talk trash about HBO's Looking

Matthew Risch in the shower scene in Looking

Videos