pixeltracker

Official "Beauty & the Beast" Film Adaptation Thread- Page 5

Official "Beauty & the Beast" Film Adaptation Thread

Starship
#100Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 5:27pm

I imagine the financial risk for Beauty and the Beast will be FAR greater than Cinderella, therefore reaffirming their need for A-list names that will encourage audiences to come past just the name itself.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#101Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 5:27pm

Just because someone's famous, doesn't mean they wouldn't good creatively. And please keep in mind that not only does acting on screen require different skills, but also singing on screen because you're not putting on a show as you would do onstage.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#102Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 5:29pm

"What was the last musical film that had all complete unknowns?"

Even though it didn't succeed at the box office (nether did Across the Universe, but who's counting?), Jersey Boys also had complete unknowns (with the exception of Christopher Walken, of course).

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#103Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 5:40pm

Alas Hadley Fraser would be utter perfection as The Beast. Oh if only...

The fact that Khal Drogo is a rumored contender scares me.

Starship
#104Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 5:48pm

I saw someone suggest Channing Tatum as Gaston, and I'm not a huge fan of his work, but honestly, I think he'd do a great job. He looks the part, can act the part, the question is, can he sing? Gaston has some pretty prominent vocal moments. Channing is 10 year's Emma's senior, but I personally think he reads young enough.

As for the Beast, I wouldn't mind seeing Josh Groban. He has such a powerful voice and definitely could look the post-transformation Prince. Plus, he has a name. Too many of the suggestions I've seen for the Beast would be fine when covered in makeup and CGI, but for the post-transformation they'd look wayyy too old.

As for the other roles, it'd be fun to see Bill Murray as Maurice and Alan Cumming as Monsieur D'Arque. Even Johnny Depp would be fun as D'Arque. I truly think it would be amazing to see Angela Lansbury reprise her role as Mrs. Potts. But if not, Julie Andrews? That'd be spectacular as well.
Updated On: 1/27/15 at 05:48 PM

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#105Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 6:30pm

Audra for Mrs.Potts

Mrtrobz
#106Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 6:52pm

I really dont think age will factor into the casting, Belle could be 14 and Beast 64 and it would still be factually accurate for the 17th Century.

Updated On: 1/27/15 at 06:52 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#107Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 9:45pm

If Liam Hemsworth can sing, he'd be terrific as Gaston.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#108Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 9:58pm

I like the idea of Emma Watson as Belle. I think she's beautiful and brainy and assertive ...

But can she sing it?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

jimmycurry01
#109Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 10:31pm

Dave19 keep in mind that while Disney was smart enough to hire Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins, she was only available because Jack Warner was not interested in her for the role of Eliza Doolittle. Instead the non-singing Audrey Hepburn was cast. Disney took a risk and it paid off, Warner went the same route they go today and hired a star instead (which also paid off). Like I said, it has always been the case. There are really good exceptions to the rule, but in general Hollywood casts names in their musicals in order to fill the seats. It is a different medium and different rules apply.

degrassifan
#110Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 11:33pm

The Sound of Music also cast relatively unknowns for the leads and known actors for the supporting roles, like Eleanor Parker. Of course, it did help that Mary Poppins became a success, which made people want to see another musical starring Julie Andrews a few months later.

Mrtrobz
#111Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/27/15 at 11:50pm

Here's another video with backing vocals from Emma, still not much to go on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kplf9BdN75o

Broadway kid 2
#112Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:29am

Nph should be lumire

DigificWriter
#113Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:59am

I think people need to cool it a bit with the skepticism; Emma is a phenomenal actress and even if she's not a natural singer, I think she'll succeed in the role with flying colors, which is a sentiment that none other than the original Broadway Belle, Susan Egan, agrees with me on (see http://www.susanegan.net/2015/01/emma-paige/).

Mrtrobz
#114Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 1:15am

Emma encompasses everything about Belle off screen she is a smart, charismatic beautiful young woman. The pick of her in this film is inspired casting and I can't wait for her take on the role, she can act and dance and if it turns out she can sing, surely she must having nabbed the role and committing herself to what appears to be an intense vocal training before filming begins, then she is the full package.

This is a great pick for her first leading title role. Updated On: 1/28/15 at 01:15 AM

jimmycurry01
#115Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 1:31am

Please don't think that I am a skeptic of her. I tend to give the director and casting directors the benefit of the doubt. I think she will likely do a fine job, maybe even a great job.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#116Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 6:42am

I think it's fair that people are a bit skeptic about her. She's played one character her whole life and not much else.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#117Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 7:11am

Mrtrobz & DigificWriter, you two nailed it! But Digific, it should be important if Emma is a soprano. I always imagined her as an alto and Belle's songs are huge and powerful and passionate. Listen to Susan Egan, for an instance. Nevertheless, even if Emma isn't a good singer, she will still ace it!

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 07:11 AM

Dave19
#118Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 8:26am

In this case I think the title and the concept will sell itself. BATB is a world wide phenomenon thanks to Disney. Even in the 90's people did not care who voiced Belle. As for Les Mis, I don't think it would have hurt the ticket sales if they had, for example amazing Javert with a less bigger name. In fact, those things (quality standards) make a film stand the test of time, it would have made me want to see it over and over again, while now I have no desire to watch it ever again.

In BATB, Belle's songs are "huge, powerful and passionate" indeed, and the only way that works is if the singer takes the audience on a vocal journey, where every beginning, building up and ending of each and every note matters. The most underestimated thing in musical-filmmaking in the 21st century.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#119Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 8:28am

"Nevertheless, even if Emma isn't a good singer, she will still ace it!"

umm..

Dave19
#120Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 8:34am

If there is 1 thing that musical films with non-natural singers taught me, it is that it results in scenes where you see and hear an actor struggling with singing. Then it will feel like an actor who is imitating what he thinks is musical theatre. Almost like a parody. Real singers make it feel natural, only that works on film. That natural talent of acting through singing with all it's details. I know this talent and craftmanship is very rare, and therefore a search for a leading lady role as Belle should be very extensive and if necessary needs an actress with a singing voice over.

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 08:34 AM

DigificWriter
#121Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 11:09am

There is no search for Belle because they've already found her.

As an aside, the only reason I mentioned anything about the skepticism level is because it seemed like that's all that was being expressed, which doesn't make for good discussion.

For me, Susan Egan IS Belle, and so her endorsement of Emma is about as high praise as you can get. Emma's take on the character is likely to be different than what we've seen from Egan and others, especially since she doesn't seem to be a natural singer, but that's OK.

As far as vocal range goes, I don't see the songs losing their emotional power if they're sung lower-key because Emma's not a natural singer, but we'll see.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#122Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 11:14am

I mean, It' not like Susan Egan was going to come out and say Emma is all wrong for the part. I also think Susan is the definitive Belle. She really fleshed out the character and made her 3 dimensional. Hopefully she gets a cameo.

Mrtrobz
#123Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 11:20am

I do think Emma's voice will be ample for the part, if you tweak a few notes Belle could be easily played as a Mezzo instead of Mezzo Soprano, I can only really think that Change in Me is where she needs to hit a higher nite but that is optional in the score.

I was thinking of supporting cast and although I really, really want Angela as Mrs. Potts how about Julie Walters? I think she would suit the role really well.

NPH as Lumiere could be quite nice I am not his number one fan but that role would suit him.

I wouldn't be opposed to them bringing in the original voice cast for the CGI roles particularly if you can cast Gaston, Maurice and the Beast as bigger names although I do want Josh Gad for LeFou.

If the want to keep within a visual age range and need a big star then they could get Eddie Redmane.

Perhaps James Marsden as Gaston?

[FAN CASTING]

Emma Watson - Belle

Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender - Beast

Jake Gyllenhal, James Marsden, Patrick Wilson, Armie Hammer - Gaston

Josh Gad - LeFou

Dick Van Dyke, Jim Broadbent - Maurice

Mrs. Potts - Tracey Ullman, Julie Walters, Angela Lansbury, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren

Cogsworth - Hugh Bonneville

Lumiere - Neil Patrick Harris

Babette - Nicole Kidman ???

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 11:20 AM

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#124Emma Watson to star in Condon's
Posted: 1/28/15 at 12:51pm

I've seen a few people put Billy Magnussen forward as Beast also. I think that would be cool - he's gotten a lot of buzz from 'Into the Woods', and he's a pretty muscular dude who could pull off the physical stuff easily. Guess we'll see!

Updated On: 1/28/15 at 12:51 PM