pixeltracker

It Shoulda Been You Previews- Page 2

It Shoulda Been You Previews

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#25It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:53pm

Whizzler, did you see Honeymoon in Vegas? Just curious. If yes, what did you think about it?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#26It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:53pm

Your opinions about the Tony, Philly.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.
Updated On: 3/17/15 at 10:53 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#27It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:55pm

Whizzer, thank you for your astute comments. I guess I'm not really surprised, given the reaction from the show's New Jersey tryout. I'm glad my ticket for next week cost only $14!

Phillypinto
#28It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:57pm

its not really an opinion, more like a prediction

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#29It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:59pm

That duet between Howard and Boggess, and while their voices both sound lovely, the song is fairly bland the lyrics uninspired. In hindsight after knowing the twist, the song doesn't make as much sense as it did upon first listen.

Really the entire first portion doesn't hold much water after learning the twist and the explanation is so convoluted and unbelievable that I well, don't believe it.

Philly, I did see Honeymoon in Vegas and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not perfect, but I liked the score and Rob McClure a lot. I think it will have an uphill battle getting a Best Musical nomination, though only Holler is less likely to get nominated than It Shoulda Been You.

Mac, luckily my ticket only cost me $14 too.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 3/17/15 at 10:59 PM

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#30It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 10:59pm

Lol, what is a prediction but an opinion about a future event?

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Phillypinto
#31It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:06pm

whizzer, wow omg you must have really disliked it! I just heard a lot of good word of mouth. Hopefully they make changes to make it better!

jnb9872, a prediction about a nomination is about OTHER peoples opinions!!

I don't have much of an opinion on this show since i haven't seen it yet! Other people's opinions don't sway me! If they did, then I would have hated Honeymoon in Vegas

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#32It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:09pm

Yikes!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#33It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:10pm

Philly, really, you say you are young[21] and I do admire your enthusiasm and genuine interest in all things theatre but could you please show a little restraint and not contribute to EVERYTHING on this board.
I don't block anyone and can skip read but this 'look at me I'm in print' mentality shows youthful exuberance which this oldie finds exhausting !
Carry on regardless--back to my reading and warm milk.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:12pm

He's younger than 21.

WhizzerMarvin
#35It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:12pm

It be fair, it's not that I intensely disliked It Shoulda Been You. Anything but, really. I can't emphasize how intensely shocking and misguided it was, as well as my surprise that producers would have invested millions to bring this to Broadway.

I can understand why Holler attempted coming to Broadway. They thought they had a winning jukebox musical formula, believed in Tupac's music and thought they were bringing something different to Broadway. On paper it could have worked, but the execution was all wrong.

It Shoulda Been You is an embarrassment, but one that you can laugh at.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#36It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:13pm

Do you think that "opinions" only refer to shows and "predictions" only refer to nominations? Because your opinions about the nominations and predictions about shows' award chances have been sadly emphatic.

Whizzer, comparing this to HOLLER seems unfortunate for all parties involved: but are you saying its chances are better than HOLLER because the show is still better than that was, or because of its positioning in the season/appeal to likely voters being more advantageous even with worse material?

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 11:13 PM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#37It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:19pm

Whizzer, I am sorry you thought the show was so misguided and poorly arranged. I look forward to attending the night after opening to see if any appropriate (or necessary) changes are made - I sure hope so! This seems like it set out to be the lighthearted musical of the season, not setting out to be a runaway hit or change anyone's life.

And to echo SweetLips - philly, I genuinely appreciate your enthusiastic view on all things theatre around here, but please, your hijacking of nearly every thread recently has really been quite a distraction. I've never muted anyone on this board and I don't plan on it, but constantly badgering other users and going back and forth with other posters is just unnecessary.

Did anyone stage door? It Shoulda Been You Previews

Phillypinto
#38It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:19pm

sweetlips, im 19 and i HARDLY comment on everything on this board.

"Do you think that "opinions" only refer to shows and "predictions" only refer to nominations? Because your opinions about the nominations and predictions about shows' award chances have been sadly emphatic."

NO i think that an opinion is what I think. A prediction is what I think others think

greasedlighting, ummmm and yet i wasn't on the boards at all last week

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 11:19 PM

bdboston
#39It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:21pm

Re. the "5th slot"... it's not mandatory. Just last year there were only 4 nominees for Best Musical - that could easily happen again this year.

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 11:21 PM

WhizzerMarvin
#40It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:21pm

I think its chances of success are about the same as Holler's were, which is to say barely any chance at all.

Holler opened at the worst possible time in the season and will likely receive zero nominations, and I'm not even saying that it deserves any, but it was ambitious. It tried. The creators really wanted to say something relevant and be something new. They didn't find the right way to pull it off, but they gave it their best shot.

It Shoulda Been You feels like a NYMF show that with low expectations could provide some campy fun. It certainly is trying to appeal to an older ticket buying demographic that could afford a $120 orchestra seat, whereas Holler's younger target demographic probably wouldn't have been able to pay more than $35 for a seat.

GreasedLightnight, I agree that they set out to just be light entertainment and whatnot, at least until the twist happened. Then things kind of went topsy-turvy and the show morphed into something else.

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 11:21 PM

GreasedLightning
#41It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:23pm

I think Whizzer is saying this has LESS of a chance, considering that HOLLER at least had some heart and soul and history behind it while this is just, well, a pile of nothing to work with or grow upon.

I also, to this day, will never understand Holler's decision to move into one of the largest theaters on Broadway merely weeks after the previous seasons Tony's. If they had waited, done some extra work on the show and came in closer to now, I wonder how they would have fared this season in terms of new musicals.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#42It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:23pm

Well, since the producers of the show posted positive audience reactions - then it must be an automatic hit. I mean, the producers of the show wouldn't skew what they tweet and instagram about. Phil- that's sarcasm, by the way.

I have no idea if this show is good or bad - and certainly a few tweets doesn't make or break a show. Nor does it give me any indication of whether a show will receive a Tony nomination for Best Musical.

Whizzer could be right or alone - For example, given the positive comments on this board about Hunchback at Papermill, it was a surprise to me that it recieved less than rave reviews from the press.

GreasedLightning
#43It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:27pm

Both Rocky and Bullets were not nominated last season. There were definitely more than 4 contenders for Best New Musical last year. The nominators decided, instead, to nominate five plays... I believe.

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#44It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:29pm

No word on Burtka?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#45It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:31pm

The nominators don't decide how many to nominate. They just vote individually. If the final slot is within a close threshold, the field expands. It is not a conscious decision.

GreasedLightning
#46It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:32pm

Whizzer, you bring up another good point. I find it almost sad that where we are now in terms of ticket prices, etc. that reaching for a "young audience" demographic is so hard these days. And yet - these are the next generations of theatre goers. Granted, those young theatre goers will grow up and BE the older demographic that can afford the standard ticket prices, but even so, just a thought.

GreasedLightning
#47It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:32pm

Even so, I was just noting that there were definitely more than 4 contenders last year. That's all. Updated On: 3/17/15 at 11:32 PM

WhizzerMarvin
#48It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:33pm

Burtka's part is very small and underwritten. He has no character to work with (same goes for Montego and Nick Splanger). He smiles and looks pretty, which is basically all that's asked of him to do.

Edit: it's very difficult for five musicals to be nominated. The votes would have to fall just so that the difference between the fourth and fifth nominee is separated by three votes or less (I believe). It's just like it's basically impossible for the Academy to nominate 10 best picture nominees under the current system.

Updated On: 3/17/15 at 11:33 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49It Shoulda Been You Previews
Posted: 3/17/15 at 11:39pm

Seems like so many Broadway heavy hitters are in this. The producers must have deep pockets because I can't imagine they're all working for minimum.