The Visit Previews

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#25The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 12:22pm

I unfortunately won't be seeing The Visit until April 25 (unless I decide to try to rush before then), but I just picked up a copy of the source material by Friedrich Durrenmatt. I'm hoping that those of you who have seen the show and / or read the play can advise me on whether I should read it before seeing the musical, or go in one-hundred percent cold on the specific plot details? I'm pretty torn!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#26The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 1:21pm

Believe it or not, I have never been to this theatre. How is the balcony view?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#27The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 1:27pm

I am usually picky about balcony seating and did not mind the view from the balcony at the Lyceum, despite reading horror reports on this board and others. Updated On: 3/26/15 at 01:27 PM

WOSQ
#28The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 1:33pm

Hold off reading the original play until afterwards. However you might want to start reading when you get home from the theatre.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#29The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 1:35pm

I don't think this is a "spoiler" type story. The plot of the play pretty much unfolds exactly as you'd expect.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Glitter
#30The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 2:02pm

ljay889, I'll be eagerly anticipating your apres-show post! Can't get into town before the end of April, but I wish so much I could have been there tonight. Enjoy every moment!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#31The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 4:04pm

At last, tonight!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Diva_Dom Profile Photo
Diva_Dom
#32The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 4:22pm

Please let me know if Chita stagedoors. I know she did during previews of Drood

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#33The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 8:15pm

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/26/15 at 08:15 PM

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#34The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 8:17pm

******SPOILERS ABOUT THE VISIT***********
******DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ENDING SPOILED***********

Kad, I would actually disagree with you about the play ending the way you expect. You may not expect a happy ending, but the fact that the town actually goes through with killing him is quite shocking in a much more subtle way

*********END SPOILERS***********

Updated On: 3/26/15 at 08:17 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 10:06pm

Wow. I'm speechless. I had a miserable start to my evening as there was insane traffic from jersey and it took almost 90 minutes to travel 2.5 miles. I ran from 35th and 9th to the theater And got there during the opening music and they made me 12 minutes to enter, I was so upset.

But it was absolutely polished and STUNNING. Huge improvements from WTF. This nyc audience ate it right up. More laughs, more cheers, huge reception, granted this was a first preview.

Having seen Chenoweth, O'Hara, and Chita.... I'd have to give the award to Chita. Her performance is out of this world. She basically stopped the show twice with two of her big numbers. Her acting has deepened even more, and it's such a treat from to start to finish.

ROGER REES. Greatly improved. He is a perfect match for Chita. His acting blew me away tonight and his vocals have improved. He WILL be a Tony contender.
Rest of cast and the new older Schill family are all fabulous.

SMALL SPOILERS

Few changes. Yellow Shoes has an angrier and more aggressive ending and there was an awkward break for applause. They seem to have cut Anton's cry for help at the end of the song.
Love and Love Alone finally has an applause break. THANK YOU MR DOYLE. The audience went wild.

END

I heard many positive comments from the audience at the end. I think this could be a bigger Tony contender than we had assumed. Granted I'm biased because I already love the piece. Can't wait to hear from you others. Typing from a phone please excuse errors. More later.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#36The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 10:17pm

^ Excellent news!

How was your view, by the way? The set looks GLORIOUS! Hoping sightlines are solid over there, what with the Lyceum already being so utterly, perfectly intimate.

Updated On: 3/26/15 at 10:17 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#37The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:01pm

I just got home from the show tonight and found the piece to be marvelously presented, but it is supremely sinister, chilling and a solemn indictment of humankind. Doyle's brechtian direction is some of the best of the season; it rightfully adds to the bleakness of the situation and enhances the social commentary, but it's not going to help the show be any easy sell.

Chita is very self-assured and at ease with Claire, commanding the stage from her entrance to her final exit. It's not an overly flashy role; she does more striking a pose in her majestic white coat with her cane than most would by breaking a sweat running around a stage.

Roger Rees acts the role beautifully, but his singing left a little to be desired. Some sour notes came out here and there. Still, I thought his dramatic performance mostly compensated for his vocal inadequacies.

Mary Beth Peil is, as always, a most welcome presence on the stage. Jason Danieley sang his big number beautifully. Chita's entourage (without spoiling who they are) were especially delightfully.

I will say I think the less you know about the plot going in, the better. It's a mystery that slowly unravels, so even though you know something sinister is afoot from the beginning, what she actually has in store for the town is surprising.

The score is strong and very catchy, but don't go in expecting big numbers or defined applause breaks. Most of the songs just kind of ebb and flow in and out of the dialogue- it's like the piece is one giant bench scene.

The scenic design is beautiful and immediately impressive upon entering the theater.

Really not enough good can be said about Doyle's direction. This, Sher's King and I, Gold's Fun Home and Nicholaw's Something Rotten! will make for one of the toughest categories is recent Tony memory. We really have some wonderful talent directing musicals this season.

Sadly, I think this could struggle to find an audience. As Roger Debris would say, "It's too downbeat!" The balcony was sadly about half empty tonight. I do wish the show the best and will absolutely be making some return visits to the Lyceum soon.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#38The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:03pm

happy to hear your thoughts ljay889..

cant wait to see it.. seen all the iterations and also love the piece.

glad to hear that doyle is allowing for applause after love and love alone. i found it
awkward in williamstown when they went straight to dialogue. you could feel the audience
wanting to applaud...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:05pm

So happy to hear that you enjoyed it, Whizzer! I hope to return again very soon, especially since I sadly missed the beginning.

Ps Row A is the front row and it was an amazing view. Highly recommend sitting there.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#40The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:13pm

Interesting that there previously wasn't an applause break after Love and Love Alone. I enjoyed that the chilly mood was maintained throughout with minimal spots for applause, but come on! You have to indulge your audience a little bit after Chita's 11 o'clock number!

I hope you do get to go back soon, ljay, so you can experience her entrance. A thrill for sure.

I agree that this will get a slew of nominations. Even if it pulls a Scottsboro Boys and wins nothing, I think it will be beloved by the theater community and critics.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#41The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:18pm

ljay889,WhizzerMarvin TrinaJasonMendel...
Couple of questions for those that attended tonight: how full was the theater orchestra-mezz-balcony, how large is the orchestra, song list, please post.

Updated On: 3/26/15 at 11:18 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#42The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:23pm

Orchestra looks like 9 pieces, same as WTF? They sound AWESOME though, even better than at WTF.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#43The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:30pm

ljay889, how does the show fit and play @ the Lyceum? You were concerned on right choice of theater.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#44The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:31pm

does anyone know if they have a rush policy for this show?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:32pm

I have no complaints! The set is absolutely phenomenal and matched the theater just fine. It was maybe a little more jarring and larger feeling at WTF.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#46The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:37pm

Philly, from the previous thread, there is a Student Rush for $30 and one ticket per ID available when the box office opens.

I'm really excited about the early reviews on here from the first preview performance! So much so that I'm thinking of giving rush a try on Saturday if I can spare the time; I really don't want to wait a whole month before I see it.
Updated On: 3/26/15 at 11:37 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#47The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:43pm

There's a very positive review on ATC!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#48The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:46pm

This should easily be a frontrunner to win Scenic Design and Lighting Design of a Musical. This is such a striking design that stuns the second you walk into the theatre. This also should be a shoo-in for Orchestrations. Chilling.

I honestly don't know what to think about the show yet. I will definitely make a return visit (ha) after I digest it a little more. (Also, it was just so hard to concentrate because the theatre was uncomfortably sweltering.)

Chita was wonderful, as were Jason Danieley and Mary Beth Peil. Donna McKechnie watched the show from the house.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#49The Visit Previews
Posted: 3/26/15 at 11:50pm

It was ridiculously warm there tonight!