Fun Home Previews

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#100Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 5:51pm

I'm with Kad on this one: I admired it but didn't love it. It's an incredibly well-written show that is expertly directed and performed, and it has one of the best scores I've heard in a long time but ultimately, I was underwhelmed. I couldn't connect to it at all emotionally, and I love the graphic novel.

There isn't a weak link in the cast but Sydney Lucas is giving one hell of a performance. "Ring of Keys" was the highlight of the night for me. Michael Cerveris, whom I've been a fan of for a long, long time, is equally terrific, and I think is doing his best work as Bruce.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#101Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 6:08pm

Sally, Kad loved it, what are you talking about?

Stephanatic

little_sally
#102Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 6:23pm

I'm probably just attributing that opinion to the wrong person then. I agree with whomever said it.

cryan71
#103Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 6:49pm

I can't believe people are ragging on Fun Home after gushing over it off-Broadway. Is this Hamilton's future?

It's a good show, really made for the NY theater audience. I am not sure how most tourists will take to it, but I guess haters are going hate.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#104Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 6:51pm

What are you talking about? Not one person has hated this show on this thread except After Eight.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#105Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 6:52pm

Yup, and After Eight's shtick doesn't really count.

little_sally
#106Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 6:55pm

I definitely didn't hate it, I just didn't love it.

MorningGlow2 Profile Photo
MorningGlow2
#107Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 7:45pm

Love it, hate it, admire it.

I just can't stop thinking about it since viewing for the first time this afternoon.
It's bordering unhealthy...but I truly appreciate how some shows can make you feel like this. Whatever 'this' is.

ebontoyan
#108Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 8:04pm

I've been reading this thread to see if this show will be worth seeing in my May trip. Everyone is gushing about it (except for one or two) but I didn't really hear what is there to gush about except for the score??! Maybe since you're all familiar with the material and I'm not. Anyways I filled my last slot with Living on Love (the one play of the trip since I am more if a musical theater fan but would love to c Renee Fleming) excited to see Something Rotten (I can actually see/hear why people are excited about the show in their preview thread) and loved On the a Twentieth Century when I saw in Feb I am going to see #2. Hopefully this show will tour I will catch it then!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#109Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 8:23pm

I think you made a mistake. And the show will almost certainly not tour.

little_sally
#110Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 8:30pm

I think it could do well regionally, though.

ebontoyan
#111Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 8:40pm

I hardly regret my choices but thanks for calling it a mistake. But I won't lose sleep over the comment lol. Tour or no tour is fine with me, but would be nice if it tours

getatme
#112Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 9:59pm

Not really sure I understand your thought process. People are gushing, but since they're not able to spell out exactly what it is about the show that works, it can't possibly as good as Something Rotten--which has had far more detractors in its preview thread--simply because posters in the Something Rotten thread can point out exactly what makes the show good?

All right. Regardless, as long as you don't regret your choices, that's all that really matters.

CoreyRyan3
#113Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:37pm

Brilliant performances, fantastic score and book, riveting staging and direction, unique storytelling of a difficult subject on a Broadway stage starring veterans such as Judy Kuhn, Beth Malone and Michael Cerveris and introducing a fantastic new performer, Sydney Lucas.

Those are a few of the reasons this show is great. Better?

ebontoyan
#114Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:45pm

I did not say Something Rotten is better, only that Fun Home is not too interesting to me. And thanks for the education on the show it sounded even less appealing to me. Of course just my opinion. I know y'all love Fun Home so much!!! lol

Broadwaylover2
#115Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 10:47pm

we should all kill people that have a different opinion. Its not like we are in the usa and that different opinions are tolerated

CoreyRyan3
#116Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:02pm

I'm confused as to how a list of all the great things about the show could make you less interested....

Also, nobody is trying to kill someone because they have a different opinion.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#117Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:06pm

This thread has become highly enjoyable to me. I do wonder if some bad comments or reviews of the show would suddenly make Ebontoyan want to see it.

ebontoyan
#118Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:17pm

Actually I go to the theater to be entertained and after finding out the storyline, no I will not be watching this show. Also I live in Iowa and only make 3-4 Fri to Mon NYC visits a year, so obviously I cannot see all the shows. So I have to be picky with my lineup and sadly this will not be one of them. If it tours I may watch it but knowing the storyline I may not. Just my opinion of course. Carry on with your love for this show folks!!!

dave1606
#119Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/29/15 at 11:35pm

I caught tonight's sold out show and it was truly incredible. The new staging is absolutely fantastic. It gets us right to the heart of the piece, and I found it even more affecting than I did when I saw it at the public.

I loved how fluidly everything moved across the stage, and towards the end (SPOPILER) as Allison is trying to remember things and the set pieces start to slip away I thought was truly inspired. END SPOILER

The performances are astounding. Sydney Lucas is phenomenal, and Judy Kuhn's Day by Day was so heartbreaking. I was sobbing through it.

I hope that this is a huge success because we need more show's like this on Broadway. My favorite musical since Next to Normal.

Copperfield2
#120Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 1:18am

As a smart writer I know said on twitter if you are a father or a mother or a daughter or a son, Fun Home will have something to say to you. It's a story about a truly dysfunctional family and it's hard not to find some truth you can relate to as you're watching it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#121Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 5:58am

Bilbo, no one cares what he sees -- it's his original explanation for why he doesn't want to see it that's odd.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#122Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 6:33am

It's a challenging, incredibly moving, and beautiful show.

Some people don't want to be engaged on an emotional level when they see theater. And there is nothing wrong with wanting escapism.

But there are a lot of people who enjoy being moved and exploring deeper themes as well.

It's not a matter of which type of show is better. I love OTT as much as Fun Home.

But most of all I'm delighted that Broadway is offering such diverse options.

A full menu of options is always appreciated.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 3/30/15 at 06:33 AM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#123Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 6:47am

"If it tours I may watch it but knowing the storyline I may not."

What's wrong with the storyline?

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#124Fun Home Previews
Posted: 3/30/15 at 6:54am

I'm having some eye opening problems getting family to join me for this in May. Wish I could attribute it to something benign.

Stephanatic

Latest Posts