pixeltracker

Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June- Page 2

Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#25Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 11:50am

I saw the matinee yesterday and enjoyed the show a lot. Is it "profound"? (Inside joke.) No, it isn't shocking or groundbreaking. What it is is funny. Very consistently so. I do not like Larry David as a performer, but I do like his writing. So for me, seeing Fish in the Dark with Jason Alexander (TDF seat, third row mezzanine) was great. After all, as George Costanza, he essentially played Larry David all those years on Seinfeld, so he's really good at it.

It's a family drama that kind of starts off like The Lyons, the Linda Lavin play, but veers off into different territory. Jason Alexander plays it big and broad (I didn't see David in the role), but it works for me. He's basically George Costanza having a very bad week: flailing about, thinking about food at inopportune moments, trying to have his way with women so far out of his league it's laughable, etc. Since I am a big fan of Seinfeld, I liked all of this. Also, because the show is on stage rather than network TV, the situations can be risque.

The cast is great and game for anything. Of course Jayne Houdyshell is a standout as the mother. Glenne Headly, Ben Shenkman, Lewis J. Stadlen, and Marylouise Burke are terrific as various flawed family members. Jake Cannavale is wonderful as the half-naked Diego, and his bit is very very funny. (What you DON'T see is even funnier!)

I am very interesting in hearing from people who have seen both David and Alexander in the role. From what I have read, I get the feeling that Alexander skipped some of the prototypical David mannerisms and catchphrases.

Compared to my evening show, the unfortunate Preludes at LCT3, Fish in the Dark is a work of genius!

Updated On: 6/11/15 at 11:50 AM

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#26Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 1:51pm

Rush update, anyone?

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#27Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 3:06pm

How is the Mezz overhang at the Cort? Is it close to the stage? I'm hoping to book a seat, just trying to think about catching the action from a decent vantage point...

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#28Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 3:29pm

I had a very nice view from the third row of the mezzanine. I didn't feel far away at all. According to the seating chart, the mezzanine overhang Row J of the orchestra. I would probably avoid the balcony.

BroadwayBaby2012
#29Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 3:49pm

Having seen both - and this may be sacrilege to say - I thought Jason actually transformed the whole evening for the better.  He was really impressive.  It made you feel like he really deserved to find a new vehicle on stage.  Larry was enjoyable, but Jason was galvanizing.  His command, characterization, and energy really drove the play in a way it was lacking previously.  I thought he was fantastic - and seemingly so did the audience.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#30Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 4:38pm

^^^ Thanks for posting! I'm really glad to hear this. Did you see Glenne Headly for the first time? I'm wondering how she compares with Rita Wilson. Also, is Jason doing Larry David's shtick, or something different?

Updated On: 6/11/15 at 04:38 PM

bfreak
#31Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 5:28pm

"How is the Mezz overhang at the Cort? Is it close to the stage? I'm hoping to book a seat, just trying to think about catching the action from a decent vantage point..."

Honestly, pretty much anywhere in the Cort especially in the orchestra and mezzanine is a good view. I've sat in all different parts of both the farthest back P in the orchestra (that was where I sat for this) and row F in the mezzanine and it was a great time in each. The overhang if you sit in the rear orchestra obstructs a little bit of the drop curtain but other than that nothing. I've never sat in the balcony as I don't really like sitting that high up but those don't mind it say that the Cort has a good one.

Brian07663NJ
#32Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/11/15 at 11:10pm

If you plan to stage door an announcement was made by the stage door man: "no Seinfeld items, no pictures/glossies, only this show related items such as Playbill or ticket stub, he will do selfies with you"

He came out and was super nice to everyone. "Thank you for waiting for me! We are going to be super organized so we can all go home! I have my own own to sign your stuff. Have your camera set on selfie. Last night I started here so tonight I'll start on that side."

So glad this is squishing the professional autograph sellers. Didn't see any of them there and the fans were pleased. 

Thank you Mr Alexander for your time and enthusiasm after performing!!

GreasedLightning
#33Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/12/15 at 12:12pm

I've sat on all three levels of the Cort and can honestly say I've never had a bad experience, and the balcony provides a great view that feels so close. I wouldn't avoid it at all. 

GreasedLightning
#34Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/12/15 at 12:12pm

I've sat on all three levels of the Cort and can honestly say I've never had a bad experience, and the balcony provides a great view that feels so close. I wouldn't avoid it at all. 

bstrumwasser Profile Photo
bstrumwasser
#35Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:51pm

Limited edition signed by the original cast of Larry David's Fish in the Dark, now starring Jason Alexander. Proceeds will support Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS in Rita Wilson's name in support of the fight against Breast cancer. These limited prints are $175.00 each and will help support a great cause. Don't Miss Out on your chance. 

About the Artwork

Purchase an original and limited edition print for Larry David's hit Broadway play Fish in the Dark. The Limited edition print of 100 copies from a total series of 300 is signed by the entire Broadway Opening Night Cast. The prints were created by renowned artist Brian Strumwasser, and are not sold anywhere else except here on eBay. This wonderful signed limited edition print comes directly from the Broadway company of Fish in the Dark.

Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June Brian Strumwasser is an accomplished make up artist and visual artist. Every season he chooses a very small selection of Broadway shows from which he produces beautiful artwork. This print was created by Brian Strumwasser in honor of Larry David's Fish in the Dark. It features the Playbill cover of Fish in the Dark, as well as a gorgeous pop art interpretation of the show's author and star Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm). The print has been signed and numbered by Brian Strumwasser.

The print image measures 6.5" x 6.5" is printed on 8.5" x 11" 120 lbs paper. Additional information (including a reiteration of its numbering) is also included on the back of the print. Signature placement will vary based on the number of the print. Specific numbers can not requested and will be fulfilled in the order they were purchased.

Cast Signatures

Proceeds benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS

Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is one of the nation’s leading industry-based,  nonprofit AIDS fundraising and grant-making organizations. By drawing upon the talents, resources and generosity of the  American theatre community, since 1988 BC/EFA has raised more than $250 million for essential services for people with  AIDS and other critical illnesses across the United States.  Broadway Cares awards annual grants to more than 450  AIDS and family service organizations nationwide and is the major supporter of the social service programs at The Actors  Fund, including the HIV/AIDS Initiative, the Phyllis Newman Women’s Health Initiative, the Al Hirschfeld Free Health  Clinic, The Dancers’ Resource and the Stage Managers’ Project. For more information, visitbroadwaycares.org

About the Artist

Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in JuneBrian Strumwasser is a New York based visual artist who also works in film, print, and Broadway as makeup artist and hair stylist. He has worked with some of the most celebrated people in the entertainment industry. His work as a makeup artist has graced some of the most prestigious magazines. With his tremendous talent and outgoing personality he has worked the fashion industry, film, television, runway shows, Broadway, and have published work in magazines such as: Make-up Artist Magazine, People, Vanity Fair, Women's Wear Daily. Learn more at brianstrumwasser.com

About Fish in the Dark

A NEW STAR JOINS “THE HOTTEST TICKET IN NEW YORK!” (Los Angeles Times). See Seinfeld’s Jason Alexander in Larry David’s Fish in the Dark for six weeks only beginning June 9th. Good seats are available at last for the show the New York Times calls “Broadway’s biggest blockbuster.”  Learn more at fishinthedark.com

B Strumwasser www.BrianStrumwasser.com

musicman_bwayfan
#36Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/24/15 at 3:12am

Does anyone know if Jason comes out between shows on a two show day?

Jayar2 Profile Photo
Jayar2
#37Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/24/15 at 2:15pm

I saw last Friday's matinee, and I thought the show was just okay. One thing that puzzled me was Glenne Headly-- she has absolutely no body awareness at all, and it detracted from my ability to process her character. Had I closed my eyes, everything would have been just fine, but her clunky walk (has she ever had to walk in heels before?) and her clumsy indicating mannerisms were just too much like community theater for me. Other than that, I really enjoyed the show, but I was disappointed in Headly's performance.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#38Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/24/15 at 2:19pm

Perez said the show has extended 2 weeks this morning on The View. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#39Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/24/15 at 2:22pm

"Perez said the show has extended 2 weeks this morning on The View. "

yes it has.

FISH IN THE DARK EXTENDS THROUGH AUG. 1

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

bfreak
#40Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/24/15 at 2:38pm

"I saw last Friday's matinee, and I thought the show was just okay. One thing that puzzled me was Glenne Headly-- she has absolutely no body awareness at all, and it detracted from my ability to process her character. Had I closed my eyes, everything would have been just fine, but her clunky walk (has she ever had to walk in heels before?) and her clumsy indicating mannerisms were just too much like community theater for me. Other than that, I really enjoyed the show, but I was disappointed in Headly's performance."

I have to agree about Headley's performance. It just didn't work. I saw one of her first performances back in April when Rita Wilson was on medical leave and everything about her performance just didn't seem to gel and fit into the piece.

ajh
#41Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/26/15 at 7:41am

I also didn't quite get Glenne Headley in this. She is a likeable stage presence but her airy-fairy delivery seemed at odds with everybody else on stage, and little she said seemed convincing.

no complaints about the rest of a stellar cast. Jason Alexander is a pocket rocket of comic dynamism. I loved his performance so much, a masterclass of comic neuroticism. Unmissable. I didn't see David but I am more than fine with JA.

LarryD2
#42Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/28/15 at 8:39am

Bumping to ask about rush -- I am planning to do the general rush on this coming Friday, July 3. Can anyone who's done the rush since Alexander joined the cast advise about what time I should arrive at the box office to be safe? Usually 4th of July is not a big theatergoing weekend, as many people leave town, but I want to be safe. Thanks in advance.

herewegoabc
#43Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/29/15 at 2:08am

I rushed this past Friday and got there a little after 8. I was sixth in line and got box seats.

Jon_sense
#44Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/29/15 at 5:08am

Headley has had this style of performance since she started. Like Matthew Broderick, it seems to mystify many people but it works for others. I didn't mind her seeming different from everyone else. After all, the character has never gelled with his family. I appreciate her distinctiveness.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#45Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 6/29/15 at 3:02pm

Thanks for sharing herewegoabc!  Were the box seats partial view in any way?  I remember sitting in a box for Waiting for Godot and missing some of the action.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#46Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/1/15 at 1:20am

Saw this tonight. Rushed at like 5pm. Got B3? It was a perfect, full-view seat. 

It was a weird show. It wasn't perfect or really anything I can see a regional theatre doing - the cast is quite large - but it was enjoyable. The audience ate it up. It wasn't totally my thing, but I'm fine with seeing it. Jason Alexander was quite good and the audience was eating him up. The design/direction seemed a little flawed. Those scene transitions seemed to take forever. 

mufish
#47Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/1/15 at 6:19pm

Looking for some insight on timing. My train leaves Penn Station at 5 on Friday so I'd like to squeeze in a matinee. My preference is Fish in the Dark since it closes soon, but would I cut it too close? I'd leave my bags at my hotel near Macy's, so at least it's somewhat on the way. Otherwise, thinking I may have to go with Hand to God due to the shorter runtime. 

bfreak
#48Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/1/15 at 6:22pm

Fish in the Dark is only 2 hours flat. If you are quick and plan your time, you should be fine.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#49Jason Alexander to Replace Larry David in FISH IN THE DARK in June
Posted: 7/9/15 at 11:53am

I went back to the show last night to see how Alexander and Headly were handling the material.

I must say that I enjoyed it so much more this time around with Alexander in the lead. He truly was hysterical and helped cover the flaws in the play much better than David did. At this point maybe Alexander can just play Larry David better than Larry David can.

He did cut some of the famous catchphrases, including, "Pretty, pretty good." Less pandering is never a bad thing though!

I unfortunately wasn't the biggest fan of Headly's performance. The description above of an "airy-fairy delivery" was dead on, and it felt at odds with the rest of the cast. (So does Perez's performance, but that's another matter...) Rita Wilson played Brenda very much like Cheryl Hines would have played her, plus they both had a similar look. In fairness to Headly, the role isn't that well-written; it's pretty hard to root for Brenda when Norman is constantly trying to do the right thing and is very clearly the put upon hero of the piece.

Houdyshell and Shenkman were stronger than I remember and both landed all of their laughs.

The scene changes were faster, but some of that death certificate stuff wears thin as the night goes on. Act two is still weaker than act one, and it all ends abruptly, but I laughed a lot and had a good time. Definitely worth the return visit to see Alexander's Norman.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!