pixeltracker

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway- Page 7

"Mamma Mia!" to Close on Broadway

Hairspray0901
#150Mamma Mia!
Posted: 8/21/15 at 12:05pm

In case anyone is interested, Telecharge finally released tickets to Mamma Mia's final two performances! The matinee is at 1:00pm and their last show is at 6:30 (opposed to the usual 2pm & 8pm). 

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#151Mamma Mia!
Posted: 8/22/15 at 8:35am

Hairspray0901 said: "In case anyone is interested, Telecharge finally released tickets to Mamma Mia's final two performances! The matinee is at 1:00pm and their last show is at 6:30 (opposed to the usual 2pm & 8pm). "

If only I lived in NY...I would so be there Mamma Mia!

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#152Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 9:14am

We were just in NY on the weekend.  Didn't bother with rush as the posts on here said they were barely giving them away.  So I went to TKTS with my daughter.  This was on Friday (i.e. so just over 1 week before it closes).  Well, they had no discount tickets to sell.  We were going to skip it, but thought we'd head over to the box office.  They only had full price, and not even in the balcony so we wouldn't pay $$$.  BUT...it was the last chance to catch it in NY so we bought.  Quite pricey, but the show was amazing!  The entire audience was standing up at the end.  Only regret is that we had an understudy for Donna.  She was still very good, but would have loved to have seen the current actress.  But great show and glad we caught it.

Hairspray0901
#153Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 9:34am

mmFan said: "We were just in NY on the weekend.  Didn't bother with rush as the posts on here said they were barely giving them away.  So I went to TKTS with my daughter.  This was on Friday (i.e. so just over 1 week before it closes).  Well, they had no discount tickets to sell.  We were going to skip it, but thought we'd head over to the box office.  They only had full price, and not even in the balcony so we wouldn't pay $$$.  BUT...it was the last chance to catch it in NY so we bought.  Quite pricey, but the show was amazing!  The entire audience was standing up at the end.  Only regret is that we had an understudy for Donna.  She was still very good, but would have loved to have seen the current actress.  But great show and glad we caught it.

To my knowledge, Judy McLane is out sick. Do you know who was on for Donna?

"

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#154Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 10:04am

mmFan said: "The entire audience was standing up at the end."

I think that has been the case at every performance of Mamma Mia, especially with the mega-mix and sing-a-long.

"Only regret is that we had an understudy for Donna."

At this point in the run, years away from the OBC, isn't everyone pretty much a former understudy? Not saying that in a bad way, just that it would be imperceptible who was the regular performer versus the understudy.

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#155Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 11:32am

Hairspray0901 said: "mmFan said: "To my knowledge, Judy McLane is out sick. Do you know who was on for Donna?"

Donna was played by Jennifer Hemphill.  Still very good, but would have loved to have seen the Broadway cast that is closing the show (but not complaining).

As for the Original Broadway Cast...true, it's a different cast.  And actually, most of that OBC came from my city in Toronto (but there were not the opening cast).  I look forward to hearing about the last show...hope people will report back.

Good to hear that the entire audience always stands up at the end.  It's been a few years since I've seen it on Broadway.  It's such a fun show.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#156Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 11:45am

I saw the Thursday matinee last week. I have seen the show on tour multiple times, but this was my first time seeing it on Broadway. I am so glad I got to see the show one last time before it closes. The show is just like a giant party. The production is in terrific shape, and the cast is great and full of energy. If you're a fan of this show or have not seen it yet, I would definitely recommend trying to see this before it closes!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Hairspray0901
#157Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 12:35pm

mmFan said: "Hairspray0901 said: "mmFan said: "To my knowledge, Judy McLane is out sick. Do you know who was on for Donna?"

Donna was played by Jennifer Hemphill.  Still very good, but would have loved to have seen the Broadway cast that is closing the show (but not complaining).

"

Oh, ok. I've seen Jenn before and thought she was great, very different than Judy's portrayal. I have been dying to catch Corrine Melancon as Donna but Judy is always there! Lol! Not complaining, though, absolutely adore her as a person and especially as a performer. Glad you enjoyed the show :)

AEA AGMA SM
#158Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 12:42pm

Corinne was on Saturday night. 

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#159Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 5:48pm

Hairspray0901 said: "mmFan said: "Hairspray0901 said: "

Oh, ok. I've seen Jenn before and thought she was great, very different than Judy's portrayal. I have been dying to catch Corrine Melancon as Donna but Judy is always there! Lol! Not complaining, though, absolutely adore her as a person and especially as a performer. Glad you enjoyed the show :)

"

I've seen Mamma Mia 23 times to date, spanning US and Canada...and it never tires.  I do love seeing how each actor puts their own spin on the character.

Matteo Profile Photo
Matteo
#160Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 5:53pm

Has anyone been to the rush line in the past week or so? At the BO today I was told that standing room is being offered to those in line when they open as they aren't doing rush tickets, but I'm curious how consistent that is. Anyone have any info on how many tickets are being given or how early people are showing up?  I would love to catch it this week one last time (I definitely have no issue with SRO) but definitely don't want to get there early if the chances are slim of getting in.

rdsport323
#161Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/7/15 at 9:03pm

I LOVE MAMMA MIA... So sad it's closing.. I would give anything for a professional recording of the show. 

How likely is that to happen once this closes/ends on Broadway?  I've seen some bootlegs of spanish versions, but, it's not quite the same.

Hairspray0901
#162Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 2:24pm

Matteo said: "Has anyone been to the rush line in the past week or so? At the BO today I was told that standing room is being offered to those in line when they open as they aren't doing rush tickets, but I'm curious how consistent that is. Anyone have any info on how many tickets are being given or how early people are showing up?  I would love to catch it this week one last time (I definitely have no issue with SRO) but definitely don't want to get there early if the chances are slim of getting in.

"

I rushed 3 weeks ago. I was first on line and received the only two rush tickets for the day while everyone else was offered Standing Room. I know people who have gone often the past week or so and have gotten standing room as no rush has been offered. I'm assuming they aren't offering it at all this week. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#163Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 3:23pm

I'm finally seeing this tonight, I had been putting it off cause my interest isn't really there for it but since it's closing I figured I should finally go. 

broadwayguy2
#164Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 4:11pm

The design has been robbed of the bells and whistles that gave the show an extra layer of polish (the current Broadway set, is essentially the original 2nd national tour design with light modification), but it is slightly closer to what originally opened in London before it become a hit.

The final cast is truly in remarkable shape and going out on top.

PJPan
#165Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 4:12pm

^Broadway Joe, I did that last week for the same reason. I figured since it was so high up on the longest-running list, I might as well see what the fuss was.

It was fine, not as bad as I was expecting. The Donna u/s was on, but the show had high-energy and the crowd was into it (especially the terrible middle-aged people next to me who kept talking and singing along). Enjoy the show!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#166Mamma Mia!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 5:13pm

Mamma Mia's closing feels like the end of an era to me. It was one of those shows I thought would run forever - - - like PHANTOM.