Broadway Cares

flotus77 Profile Photo
flotus77
#1Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 6:15am

I may be a little new to this Broadway Cares donate-every-single-penny-you-have deal, but something is really confusing me. The last go round I managed (without going to the theatre) to get a window card and playbill signed by the cast of 'It's Only A Play'. I paid for them, of course, and was happy to do so for a great cause. Who wouldn't? So that was late last year (I gave them to myself for Christmas...). After I won a contest for 'It's Only A Play' and redeemed it in March, I was supposed to get a signed copy of a 'selfie' card saying thanks for donating (which, technically I didn't, but it was part of the prize I won), and a cast signed playbill.

I got both in the mail today. When I looked at the 'selfie' card, I noticed it was not real autographs but photocopied. I assumed it would be because I had previously seen one online and suspected it was. Then, I checked out the playbill. The whole thing was photocopied. There was NOT one original, real autograph on either.

Naturally, I check out my window card and Playbill from December, and they too are photocopied. So, I spent so much money on something that is fake?

My question is: is this normal? Or are the good old folks over at 'It's Only A Play' screwing me over here? I would think if something is mass produced and you pay 300.00 for it, you should be told that it's not authentic, that the autographs are NOT real and therefore to a collector, useless.

Am I asking too much? I know it's for charity and you can't really expect a handful of actors to just sit down for three days signing hundreds of items, but really? Photocopied signatures? To me, it doesn't seem right at all.

I'm not complaining, I'm really just asking if this is the norm?

Stockard Channing; my heart and soulmate.

DallasS Profile Photo
DallasS
#2Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 7:33am

That's really strange. I've never seen preprinted playbills. Closest I can think is when Fran Drescher stamped her signature on Cinderella playbills. 

Can you post a picture? The playbill I got from Its Only A Play in January is definitely hand signed. 

PM me if you're interested in purchasing or trading signed playbills! I have a large collection! :)

BwayLady999
#2Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:05am

I'd also be curious t see photos since I've seen many signed I'ts Only a Play signed posters & Playbills and they've all had original signatures.

Also, since you didn't go to the theatre, where did you get the poster & Playbill?

flotus77 Profile Photo
flotus77
#3Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:19pm

It could just be me, but the names are too...perfect? Like, there aren't any marks from when they'd stop (like a hard ink look) writing. Or any strokes. I know it sounds weird and I'm probably being paranoid... I can't explain it, they look as if they are part of the cover. I have many playbills signed (mostly by Stockard Channing, I collect hers).

They just look...not real? I don't know how to paste a picture here. If someone could instruct...

BwayLady999
#4Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:27pm

You didn't answer the question of where you got the Playbill or Poster in December.

If you're just being paranoid it seems a bit excessive to create a post using the name of a non-profit as the subject line & implying that the charity is selling fake items.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:28pm

"It could just be me, but the names are too...perfect? Like, there aren't any marks from when they'd stop (like a hard ink look) writing. Or any strokes. I know it sounds weird and I'm probably being paranoid... I can't explain it, they look as if they are part of the cover. I have many playbills signed (mostly by Stockard Channing, I collect hers).
They just look...not real? I don't know how to paste a picture here. If someone could instruct...  
 "

Take the photo. Upload it somewhere. Use the new-fangled toolbar at the top. Insert the URL of the photo. Kaboom!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

flotus77 Profile Photo
flotus77
#6Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:47pm

https://instagram.com/p/1TR1xbh02g/?taken-by=stockardguru

That's the latest. And the others, BwayLady999, I got from Valerie Lau-Kee Lai, producer Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. Thank you very much. You don't have to be nasty. I stated in my original post that I was 'curious', not that I was accusing anyone. I just want to now if I'm getting what I thought I was getting.

https://instagram.com/p/1TTDSRh047/?taken-by=stockardguru

That was the original I received in December. Sorry about quality, but that 'add picture' link wasn't adding any pictures. I now how to do this, it's just that THIS particular link was not working for me. 

Hey, I just want to make sure that I'm getting what I paid for. It was only a question. If you're gonna be rude, don't allow me ton 'bother' you with my idiotic questions! 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:52pm

How would these items be photocopied? That would require an entirely new Playbill to be printed- WITH these autographs on it. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#8Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:54pm

It's hard to tell from the photograph. The most recent one you received does seem like a strange quality on the printing - it's darker and the tone seems off on the word PLAY.

Did you try rotating the actual Playbill under a light and looking at it from different angles? You can usually actually see another layer where the Sharpie ink sits atop the glossy paper and there would be a reflection of the light. I don't have a Playbill in front of me but I happened to just use a Sharpie to write on a previously printed glossy document and it's pretty clear to me.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#9Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:55pm

I got a signed poster from It's Only a Play, and Rupert's autograph was smudged so it definitely was hand signed.  I was upset because the volunteer rudely said to me as I was looking through them, "they're all the same, just take one."  I wish I had looked closer when I walked away, so I could have gone back and shown him how they are all completely different, like snow flakes.  

BwayLady999
#10Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 1:01pm

You started your post off with a rather negative tone when you stated "I may be a little new to this Broadway Cares donate-every-single-penny-you-have deal" so you set the tone.  

I also don't think my statement is "nasty" as I was simply stating that you immediately went to an accusatory place.  

I concur with Kad that it seems like it would be rather impossible to print up a whole new Playbill with the autographs included.  And as others have stated, all the other signed items from It's Only a Play that people have purchased/received were hand signed.

I can't speak to the one you received from another source, but I am completely confident that anything you purchased directly from BC/EFA was hand signed. 

Emma MK
#11Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 1:17pm

Surely if they were both photocopies then they would both be the same, with the exact same signatures in the same place? They wouldnt photocopy one lot of signatures, create a playbill using that copy and then do the same with another set of signatures, that would be daft surely?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 1:29pm

Seems like you're maybe just making SH*T up to stir SH*T up.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#13Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 1:45pm

Regarding the window card ... the thought of them reprinting/photocopying a large color document with signatures rather than having the small cast sign them is totally crazy.

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

flotus77 Profile Photo
flotus77
#14Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 7:29pm

I'm NOT trying to cause trouble or stir things up. I just wanted to know if that was something that is possible. The first set I got was  from Broadway Cares, and I only questioned those because the second one that I got looks as if it IS a copy, but it is from a different entity. I assumed (stupidly) that the people on this board would be kind and relay their own experiences, but clearly half of you are more offended than anything else and two of you were just plain rude. But thanks for the help, to the few that actually did help.

trpguyy
#15Broadway Cares
Posted: 4/10/15 at 9:16pm

I'll be polite and share my thoughts:

Some of those signatures do look a little odd, but it's hard to tell from the photo. Perhaps they used an art marker instead of a typical Sharpie, resulting in fewer fade/streak marks?

It's been my experience working with several casts who sign for BC/EFA that they do actually sign everything. Printing Playbills with "fake" signatures would seem to be pretty cost prohibitive for a charity collection, I'd think.

Videos