pixeltracker

Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I- Page 4

Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#75Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:15pm

Earlier in the season, I did not think Fun Home had much of a shot at winning Best Musical, simply due to its dark and more intimate dramatic nature, something that rarely gets rewarded in that category. But now I'm very much reconsidering. 

Something Rotten's reception will clarify some things, certainly. But it seems to be well-liked by people in the industry thus far- the people whose opinions matter much more for this.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#76Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:17pm

Whatshisname, I feel for anyone who knows you in real life. Though I feel worse for those of us on the board who have to see you type "me" with more than one "e."

And the idea that if Kelli O'Hara wins is because of some sort of "sentimental" vote is ridiculous after the reviews she got. She may have gotten great reviews for BRIDGES, but Jason Robert Brown's Francesca is not Rodgers & Hammerstein's Anna Loewens. Anna is one of the great musical theatre roles in one of the best musicals in the history of the theatre. To say that one of the greats of her generation playing this role in this show in this production who garnered this type of reviews would simply win out of sentimentality makes no sense.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#77Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:18pm

Re: the two remaining slots. It's all going to come down to how the Fun Home ladies fall. if Lucas and Malone are both in lead, IMO, they will take both.

IMO, if both are in supporting, it's Kelly and Howard. If Kelly is in supporting, Cope.

IMO, if Malone is lead and Lucas is not, one is Malone's, and I would guess the other is Kelly, UNLESS she gets petitioned into supporting. Then I would say Malone and Howard, with Cope possibly taking Howard's place. 

neonlightsxo
#78Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:21pm

"I know more people than you think thats for sure"

Didn't we just explain press performances to you this week? Also, you know one Tony voter who you "met" on this board.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#79Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:28pm

LOL what do press performances have to do with ANYTHING we are talking about right now? And yea i know a lot of people, especially after being on this board. So many people message me wanting to know me telling me that they are on my side, and want to get to know me :) jealousssssss?

Also, for the Living on Love champagne bottle incident, that happened last Thursday. How in the world would the press be there already for a show that wouldn't open for a week and 4 days. They only open on Tuesday, and someone said they were there last thursday?? 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

broadwaysfguy
#80Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:33pm

Would be happy to see Neverland still get the fourth nod

so excited to see cheno on 4/27 and kelli on 5/1...

really rooting for Kelli this time and its one of those awards where if they are both completely awesome in these roles (im sure they both are), give it to Kelli in part to acknowledge all of her other great performances....more awards for King and I will also enhance the tour im sure is following....

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#81Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:50pm

Chita Rivera

Kelli O'Hara

Kristen Chenowith

Beth Malone 

Leanne Cope (unless she is placed in supporting)

are my predictions.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the "CHITA" factor. I hope I'm wrong but this could be Chita's last outing "on the boards". That alone could garner her the win.  But a nail-biter is always fun.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#82Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 3:53pm

I think we will be discussing Chita more once her reviews are out. She absolutely should not be counted out. She's in a juicy original role, most likely her final appearance on Broadway.

hypno68 Profile Photo
hypno68
#83Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:02pm

"LOL what do press performances have to do with ANYTHING we are talking about right now? And yea i know a lot of people, especially after being on this board. So many people message me wanting to know me telling me that they are on my side, and want to get to know me :) jealousssssss?
Also, for the Living on Love champagne bottle incident, that happened last Thursday. How in the world would the press be there already for a show that wouldn't open for a week and 4 days. They only open on Tuesday, and someone said they were there last thursday?? 
 "

Oh, dear. Where do you go to school again? Why the business of the business they call show is not taught more in BA or MFA programs astounds me. Adam Feldman, Time Out New York theater and cabaret critic, was there and tweeted about the incident. Press performances generally are spread out the week before opening.  

Phillypinto
#84Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:06pm

yeah but that wasn't even a week before opening. He went last week when the show doesn't even open until next week. Thats not very fair

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#85Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:13pm

The champagne thing Adam Feldman tweeted happened like two days ago. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/17/15 at 04:13 PM

Phillypinto
#86Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:21pm

ohhhh nvm! I hope he liked it though :)

mpd4165
#87Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:25pm

"yeah but that wasn't even a week before opening. He went last week when the show doesn't even open until next week. Thats not very fair"

Ah, but nobody ever said life was fair, Tina...

neonlightsxo
#88Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:55pm

My point was you don't actually understand anything about how the business of Broadway works. Not that you care about anyone's point.

"So many people message me wanting to know me telling me that they are on my side, and want to get to know me :) jealousssssss?"

Actually, no. Lots of crazy people post here.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#89Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 4:58pm

Neonlight, you are just being so jealoussssss. Don't you know the pinto thing knows a lot more people than you? #jealousssssmeee

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#90Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 5:55pm

I wish the Side Show girls would slip in the final two slots. I loved both of them but the odds of that seem slight at this point...unless one of them pulls off a Laura Osnes surge from behind.

Please keep in mind that we might end up getting as many as 7 nominees in at least one of the acting categories (if there's a tie).

Phillypinto
#91Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 6:10pm

neon, normal rich producers message me Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#92Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 6:12pm

Pinto, 

Three things, two lessons and one request. I have on all this latest stuff, as I don't want to wade too deep into the muck.

The first lesson: when press sees a show is determined by the producer, so to call it unfair (as you did) is just absurd.

The second lesson: Tony voters do not vote on nominations; only the nominating committee does. So even if you know a Tony voter, that's irrelevant unless the nominators nominate the person you are talking about.

The request: please name one nominator you know. And then explain to us why that nominator chose to break the trust of the Tony organization by telling you who they liked and didn't like. If you can't, then I suggest you consider retracting your comment. 

Phillypinto
#93Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 6:23pm

for lesson 1, i thought he came to see the show over a week before opening which is why i said "oh nvm"

for lesson 2, i know that, I never said that the tony voter i know is going to nominate the people i want to be nominated. I just want him to bring me to see shows for free. We have til the end of May cause thats when they vote :)

for the request, yeaaaaaa like i would tell you that lmfao. You probably run that sh*t for all we know. And please, all the tony voters spill the beans all the time lmao

Updated On: 4/17/15 at 06:23 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#94Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 7:07pm

Pinto, I am concerned. You spend so much time lmfao, I wonder what's gonna be left of you. Think of your career!!!!

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#95Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 8:00pm

I hope I'm wrong but this could be Chita's last outing "on the boards". That alone could garner her the win.  

That would be a dumb reason to win and I don't think Chita would want to win like that. Let her performance speak for itself. If she is the best, then so be it. But a sympathy win isn't really winning. Especially when you have great performances from Cheno and Kelli.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

indytallguy
#96Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 8:07pm

"LOL what do press performances have to do with ANYTHING we are talking about right now? And yea i know a lot of people, especially after being on this board. So many people message me wanting to know me telling me that they are on my side, and want to get to know me :) jealousssssss?

"

Getting to know you,
Getting to know all about you.

You'd probably be better off if we all knew a little less of and about you.

Ed_Mottershead
#97Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 10:53pm

No one's said anything about Robert Fairchild for leading action in American in Paris.  He got the notices and everyone was very impressed whereas caveats were raised about Peter Gallagher and, to a greater degree, the man playing the King.  Anyone else think Fairchild may be in the running? 

BroadwayEd

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#98Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 11:02pm

Oh I have Fairchild LOCKED as a nomination.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be him, Cerveris, d'Arcy James, and Watanabe.  The 5th slot for me is between Matt Morrison, Tony Yazbek, and Peter Gallagher, though I'd give the SLIGHT edge to Morrison.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#99Riedel: Tony race heats up as Neverland fades, and Twentieth Century butts heads with King and I
Posted: 4/17/15 at 11:06pm

I think that ON THE TOWN, ON THE 20TH CENTURY, and THE KING AND I will be the nominated 3 for Best Revival of a Musical. It's too bad that the rules prevent a fourth nomination which I think could have been either GIGI or SIDESHOW. 

Rivera, Chenoweth, and O'Hara will be the main ones competing for the award which I think if either of them wins, I'll be very happy.

I'll say this, the Broadway season from 2014-15 is the most interesting since 2007-8. The years after that have been somewhat predictable for me.