Tony Snubs

Wilmingtom
#25Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:01pm

I believe "snubbed" has a personal connotation, like when all of your friends are invited to a wedding and you're not.  In this context I think "overlooked" is more appropriate.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:10pm

But there's a limit for each category. There's usually not a limit for a wedding. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#27Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:15pm

Weddings have limits, too -- based on budget.   I could afford to invite 125 people to my wedding.   Decisions had to be made.

However, I agree that snub sounds like its for personal reasons as opposed to just not ending up on top.

Overall, I'm incredibly happy with the noms.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bigbelterbaby
#28Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:42pm

the main snubs for me are Heidi Blickenstaff and Francesca Faridany.

Curious Incident and Something Rotten were both nominated for Best New Play / Musical and those two are the first ladies of those shows. oh well.

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

LarryD2
#29Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/28/15 at 5:55pm

"I believe "snubbed" has a personal connotation, like when all of your friends are invited to a wedding and you're not.  In this context I think "overlooked" is more appropriate.  "

Snub a word with an actual meaning and definition.

Snub: "the act of showing disdain or a lack of cordiality by rebuffing or ignoring someone or something."

Updated On: 4/28/15 at 05:55 PM

Freeman5
#30Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:58pm

For me the biggest mistake came in the Best Orchestrations category - I think it's because the nominators don't understand what orchestrators do and what constitutes  award worthiness in the category - Bruce Coughlin's magnificent, exceptional, phenomenal and brilliant orchestrations for the revival of On the Town. He really should have won the Tony for his work.

The forementioned Scott Pask for The Visit is another one.

As for acting, I would pick Rob McClure, Jay Armstrong Johnson, Alysha Umphress, and Lindsay Duncan as the four who I think definitely deserved nominations and were on the whole better than most of the nominees in their respective categories.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#31Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:33pm

The orchestrations for On The Town are 70 years old and, thus, ineligible.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Wilmingtom
#32Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:03am

Snub: "the act of showing disdain or a lack of cordiality by rebuffing or ignoring someone or something."

Exactly. I don't think the nominators are "showing disdain or a lack of cordiality."  They just thought certain shows, performances and contributions were more worthy than others.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/29/15 at 4:04am

^I couldn't figure out if he was supporting or refuting your (our) opinion! The use of the word DISDAIN rather solidifies it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/29/15 at 5:26am

Bernadette Peters - FOLLIES :p. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 4/29/15 at 05:26 AM

KathyNYC2
#35Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/29/15 at 7:27am

I think a lot of deserving people/shows got overlooked/snubbed/whatever you call it - however, I know there are only just so many categories with just so many nominations.

I only thought I had that was not made previously in this thread (unless I missed it) is that while I really personally LOVED Something Rotten (in spite of its flaws) and really really LIKED Finding Neverland (in spite of its flaws)..the difference between the large amount of nominations for SR versus nothing for FN does not seem right to me...at all.

So in this case, it feels like it definitely WAS a snub. And I appreciated Matthew Morrison's graciousness with his show not getting any noms.

That said, Tony nominations have made some excellent choices over the years and some really bad ones. It is what it is.

Updated On: 4/29/15 at 07:27 AM

LarryD2
#36Tony Snubs
Posted: 4/29/15 at 7:31am

"Snub: "the act of showing disdain or a lack of cordiality by rebuffing or ignoring someone or something."
Exactly. I don't think the nominators are "showing disdain or a lack of cordiality."  They just thought certain shows, performances and contributions were more worthy than others."

The point I was trying to make was that while I do agree with you that many use the term "snub" to denote a personal opinion, it's still inaccurate based on the actual meaning of the word. To say that someone was "snubbed," you would have to be able to prove that they were deliberately left off the list or passed over for some specific reason in favor of someone less deserving. Of course, that is impossible to know beyond conjecture unless you were in the room.