HAMILTON on Broadway

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#50HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 1:25pm

The mezz is so far back from the stage in that theater, if you want to be close to the stage, I guess you have to just splurge and go for orchestra seating.  

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:04pm

If you had bought them when tickets went onsale, you'd have your choice of dates, but you can still purchase them for future shows. It deeply sucks that scalpers have taken up seats for the opening few months, but you can certainly see the show for less than $160.

That is certainly true for those living in NYC, but it's FAR more difficult for out-of-towners trying to schedule vacation.  And buying tickets "when they went onsale" is precisely when the scalpers pounced, so it wasn't quite that simple.  I lucked out with what I was able to get, but I had to cross my fingers that the scheduling would work out, which it probably won't, so I'm going to have to change my schedule or hope that my luck changes in the next couple of months.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

neonlightsxo
#52HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:28pm

I have a StubHub question...so if there's a hundred tickets available on StubHub does that mean they actually bought that many? Or can they list stuff hypothetically?

Mister Matt
#53HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:51pm

They have to have to tickets in order to list them.  Otherwise, it's fraud.  StubHub is just a selling site like ebay.  When it says there are a hundred tickets available, that is the total number of tickets from all sellers listing tickets for that performance.  It could be just pairs or singles.  You have to select the performance and then select from the seating/pricing options of each individual seller.  If you list on StubHub, you are signing a contract that you have the inventory available for sale, just like listing on ebay.

Hairspray0901
#54HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:55pm

"But rear mezz tickets aren't $160, they're $59. If you had bought them when tickets went onsale, you'd have your choice of dates, but you can still purchase them for future shows. It deeply sucks that scalpers have taken up seats for the opening few months, but you can certainly see the show for less than $160."

Not that I need to explain my financial situation to you, but, maybe I wasn't able to purchase tickets when they went on sale. Ok, $59 for rear mezzo - my mistake; I heard those seats are horrible though. I still can't justify paying $160 for a rear orchestra seat when I know better (not premium) orchestra seats were available for the same exact price that are now available on stubHub for twice as much. I'm very happy for Hamilton selling so well but it sucks that actual theater fans can't get decent seats while the scalpers are buying them left and right to try and make a profit.

Mister Matt
#55HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 2:57pm

I'm very happy for Hamilton selling so well

Well, we know it's selling well to scalpers.

neonlightsxo
#56HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 3:04pm

Thanks Matt. That's what I thought but wasn't sure.

Also, for the record, I have no problem with the mezz in the Rodgers. You guys sure are whiney. I sat in the mezz several times for If Then and never had a problem. It's not like it's the Studio 54 mezz, it's much better.

Updated On: 5/14/15 at 03:04 PM

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#57HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 3:06pm

Sorry to threadjack, but Hamilton has me wondering . . . If, for example, Jonathan Groff were to open the show and play King George for several months, then left the show in the winter and a replacement King George stepped in at that time, well before the Tonys cutoff, could both Groff and the replacement be eligible for Tonys? Or is only the opening-night cast eligible?

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#58HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 3:09pm

Only Groff would be eligible.

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#59HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 3:10pm

Thanks!

Mister Matt
#60HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 3:29pm

Yeah, I was in the rear side mezz for If/Then and had no problem with the view.  It's not like the Gershwin where the seats are in nosebleed territory or the Schubert where about a third of the seats are restricted/obstructed view.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#61HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 3:56pm

ALIX -- to clarify, only the person that plays it on the official opening night is eligible.  There have been a few exceptions over the years, but they have to be petitioned.

I just picked up tix in the rear mezz (the only tix under $100), they seemed the only ones available -- but I did remove "premium" from my search.  Needed to buy 3 tix, so saving a little money was high on the priorities.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mister Matt
#62HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/14/15 at 4:12pm

My other option is to book On the Twentieth Century now and Hamilton for another trip in November or December.  I'm really torn.  My mother just saw Twentieth Century and said Cheno is the only reason to see the show.  She felt everything else about it was forgettable and it's not a big loss if I miss it.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#63HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/15/15 at 10:34pm

The Richard Rodgers

HAMILTON on Broadway

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#64HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/15/15 at 11:24pm

"The mezz is so far back from the stage in that theater, if you want to be close to the stage, I guess you have to just splurge and go for orchestra seating.  "

I have tix in August for 1st row of the Mezz HAMILTON on Broadway ....is it really that far away from the stage? I was thinking these would be awesome seats...

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#65HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/15/15 at 11:36pm

If you are tall the mezz seats might not be for you.  No leg space .  First thing I ever saw in this theater was Best Little Whorehouse.  I love the feel of this house. 

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#66HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/16/15 at 12:33am

Stopped by the box office this evening and got 2 rear mezz seats for $77 each for the peak week after Christmas.  Ticket person said that it's actually a better seat than the rear Orchestra for half the price..I'm happy about it.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#67HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/17/15 at 11:43am

"My other option is to book On the Twentieth Century now and Hamilton for another trip in November or December.  I'm really torn.  My mother just saw Twentieth Century and said Cheno is the only reason to see the show.  She felt everything else about it was forgettable and it's not a big loss if I miss it."

Cheno, whether she wins the Tony or not, is totally worth the price of admission. Her performance is as spot-on as she was in the Encores THE APPLE TREE (although it fell apart when it transferred to Roundabout). Go see her, she is amazing.

ZannaDo
#68HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/17/15 at 5:40pm

"Ok, $59 for rear mezzo - my mistake; I heard those seats are horrible though"

Tough sh*t? Wtf, you want to see a show on a budget, you're not getting premium orchestra seats for $20. What is with the entitlement? Most shows I see are from rear mezz, partial view, whatever the cheapest ticket is. You can't expect to spend the least amount of money and still get a seat comparable to the one that costs $160. 

"That is certainly true for those living in NYC, but it's FAR more difficult for out-of-towners trying to schedule vacation.  And buying tickets "when they went onsale" is precisely when the scalpers pounced, so it wasn't quite that simple.  I lucked out with what I was able to get, but I had to cross my fingers that the scheduling would work out, which it probably won't, so I'm going to have to change my schedule or hope that my luck changes in the next couple of months."

It was kind of quite that simple. I very much wanted to see the show during previews and bought orchestra seats the day they went on sale. The onsale date was well publicized and announced in advance. I had plenty of options to choose from and maybe that means I'm just not as picky as some on this board about having seats in the first 5 rows in the center? I understand that booking when you have to travel is tricky but...that's life? It's an in demand show. Plenty of shows sell out in advance (Book of Mormon, anyone?) and it makes it hard to get tickets when you have a specific set of dates you can go. C'est la vie? 

I agree with everyone that the scalping problem is out of control for this show, but I swear sometimes people sound like the entire ticket buying process should be designed to best suit their personal needs. 

Updated On: 5/17/15 at 05:40 PM

Mister Matt
#69HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/17/15 at 5:52pm

I agree with everyone that the scalping problem is out of control for this show, but I swear sometimes people sound like the entire ticket buying process should be designed to best suit their personal needs.

I certainly wasn't saying that, but I'm glad that we can agree to agree or agree to disagree or disagree to agree with whatever side of the conversation you were taking.

sephyr
#70HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/18/15 at 12:23am

Have there been any announcements about a general rush or student rush at all? I really hope they offer one for those who can't afford those prices.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#71HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/18/15 at 1:32am

They seem to have raised ticket prices for orchestra seats.

$300 ($315 w/ fees)...

Guess I won't be seeing this one... HAMILTON on Broadway

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#72HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/18/15 at 1:35am

I would assume those are premium prices, not regular orchestra.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mister Matt
#73HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/18/15 at 9:23am

Yes, $300 is for "premium" seats.  

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#74HAMILTON on Broadway
Posted: 5/18/15 at 11:42am

I don't think the front mezzanine seats are bad at all. My friend and I saw If/Then from the center area of the front mezzanine, and I didn't feel too far away. Sightlines were fine, too. I had no qualms about buying similar seats to see Hamilton for a matinee in August.