Best Leading Actress in a Play

Helen Mirren, ‘The Audience’

Best Leading Actor in a Musical

Michael Cerveris, ‘Fun Home’

Best Leading Actress in a Musical

Kristin Chenoweth, ‘On the Twentieth Century’

Best Book of a Musical

‘Fun Home,’ Lisa Kron

Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics)

‘Fun Home,’ Music: Jeanine Tesori, Lyrics: Lisa Kron

Best Featured Actor in a Play

K. Todd Freeman, ‘Airline Highway’

Best Featured Actress in a Play

Annaleigh Ashford, ‘You Can’t Take It with You’

Best Featured Actor in a Musical

Christian Borle, ‘Something Rotten!’

Best Featured Actress in a Musical

Sydney Lucas, ‘Fun Home’

Best Scenic Design of a Play

Christopher Oram, ‘Wolf Hall: Parts 1 and 2’

Best Scenic Design of a Musical

David Rockwell, ‘On the Twentieth Century’

Best Costume Design of a Play

Christopher Oram, ‘Wolf Hall: Parts 1 and 2’

Best Costume Design of a Musical

Catherine Zuber, ‘The King and I’

Best Lighting Design of a Play

Paule Constable, ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time’

Best Lighting Design of a Musical

Natasha Katz, ‘An American in Paris’

Best Direction of a Play

Marianne Elliott, ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time’

Best Direction of a Musical

Sam Gold, ‘Fun Home’

Best Choreography

Christopher Wheeldon, ‘An American in Paris’

Best Orchestrations

Christopher Austin, Don Sebesky, Bill Elliott, ‘An American in Paris’

Updated On: 5/24/15 at 05:15 PM

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#26So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 6:35pm

Has there ever been a musical with 5 actors getting noms?

Stephanatic

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#27So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 6:45pm

For Best Musical hoping for a win by either Rotten or The Visit

Musical Actress Chita

Musical Revival 20 th Century

Poster Emeritus

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#28So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 6:45pm

For Best Musical hoping for a win by either Rotten or The Visit

Musical Actress Chita

Musical Revival 20 th Century

Poster Emeritus

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#29So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:16pm

Updated On: 5/24/15 at 07:16 PM

mattporter17
#30So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 7:17pm

"Has there ever been a musical with 5 actors getting noms?"

"The Producers got 6 acting noms: 2M Lead, 3M Featured and 1W Featured. One of the 3m featured was for Brad Oscar, who's nominated for his role in Something Rotten! this season too. 

Updated On: 5/24/15 at 07:17 PM

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#31So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 9:00pm

best musical :  the visit

actress in a musical : chita rivera

score : the visit

book of a musical : the visit

So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions

Updated On: 5/24/15 at 09:00 PM

mattporter17
#32So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 9:16pm

"best musical :  the visit

So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions"

I don't think the Visit'll win any awards. This seasons too good!

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#33So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/24/15 at 9:27pm

""best musical :  the visit

So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions"

I don't think the Visit'll win any awards. This seasons too good!"

So is the visit!!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#34So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 1:43am

I'd rather see The Visit win than Fun Home for some reason. But I think the best new show of the season was Rotten. American was ok, but it didn't feel very original, since the score isn't new. Fun Home's score is forgettable and I wasn't a huge fan of the show either. Actually I don't really think The Visit should win, but I wouldn't mind if it won, because I always root for the underdog. I honestly don't think it's going to win any awards. I saw Zorba at Encores!, I have seen Kiss, The Rink, Chicago, Cabaret and some others and I feel like this was one of the worst shows they wrote...I think Scottsboro Boys and Curtains were even worse though. But definitely not Kander and Ebb's best material.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 5/25/15 at 01:43 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#35So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 12:03pm

I still don't want to make a call on Best Musical. I simply can't read the voters' minds (as can no one). While one can think...one can HOPE...that after awarding what was the only completely original AMERICAN musical the Best Musical prize last year (I'm talking about GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE..., of course), that perhaps they've come to and have realized what "Best Musical" really means. And if they have, there's no denying that FUN HOME will win. 

But they're a fishy bunch, these Tony voters, and as much as I want to believe that the "road vote" theory isn't a thing (and never really was), if AN AMERICAN IN PARIS does win (which wouldn't necessarily be a travesty), it will be because it's seemingly more marketable and palatable for an audience that wants to see what they think is a "Broadway Musical!!!" And that the "road vote" is a thing. 

I've also heard that a lot of voters have enjoyed THE VISIT and have voted for it. But that could be forty or fifty out of eight-hundred fifty. I still think that's a long shot. Best Play will go to CURIOUS INCIDENT..., though if I were giving out these prizes, it'd go to HAND TO GOD. (But there's no denying that the likely winner is an exiting evening in the theater, too.)

In terms of the other categories, I think Cerveris will win Best Actor in a Musical, and that Alex Sharp will win Best Actor in a Play. I'd like to believe that Chita will win Actress in a Musical for both sentimental reasons and because she's just damn good in the show (and because I loathe Kristin Chenoweth). But I still think that little kewpie doll robot will win at the end of the day. I'd be truly delighted if she lost, though. Helen Mirren will likely win Actress in a Play. I wouldn't be surprised if the Roundabout pulls another coup and wins Best Revival of a Musical for a cheap-o, cutesy production of a nice musical comedy as they did some years ago with PAJAMA GAME. But I'm still putting my hypothetical money on THE KING AND I. 

I think Book and Score will go to Kron and Tesori. I just lurked on ATC and came across someone predicting that Sting may win Best Score because he's "promoting it well." I really hope that the Tony voters' erection for celebrities has come down a bit. I've been led to believe that it really has. If Sting's pleasantly bland collection of pop tunes wins over actual theater scores by Tesori and Kron or Kander and Ebb, it WILL be a travesty. 

Sam Gold will win Director of a Musical. Wheeldon will win Choreography. SKYLIGHT will win Revival of a Play. Annaleigh Ashford will (deservedly) win Featured Actress in a Play. 

And I'm going to throw in a good word for Judy Kuhn. As good as Sydney Lucas is, she has her whole life ahead of her. Not only does Kuhn give a devastating performance, she's had a long career as a working actress. And she deserves some recognition-- for this performance in particular. 

And I'll throw in another good word for John Clancy's orchestrations for FUN HOME. 

I've skipped a few categories, I know. But the one's I've mentioned are the only ones I have solid opinions about. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 12:28pm

It's really hard to predict this season, but here are my predictions for the categories I know enough about to feel comfortable predicting...

BEST MUSICAL - I want nothing more than Fun Home to take the prize here, but I would not be surprised if An American In Paris won. I don't think either The Visit or Something Rotten have much of a chance.

BEST REVIVAL - The King and I. I will be very surprised if anything else wins. While I enjoyed On The Twentieth Century, I was not completely taken with it. I personally would vote for On The Town, but I will be just as thrilled if The King and I wins. Both productions were EXTREMELY well done and beautiful.

BEST ACTOR - Michael Cerveris. That's all.

BEST ACTRESS - I want nothing more than Kelli O'Hara to win, and I honestly think she is the most deserving and gave the best performance, but it seems like it's going to be going to Kristin. I throughly enjoyed Chenoweth's performance, but my vote would still go to Kelli.

BEST PLAY - Curious Incident will take this, and Alex Sharp will take best actor. That being said, I can't say that I love Curious Incident as much as everybody else did on here. I personally would love to see Hand To God win.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

muscle23ftl
#37So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 12:37pm

I think Kelli gave the best performance of the season and no one should win over her. When it comes to actors, I think Brian darcy James will win and should win. And I agree with you, 20th century was much inferior than The King and I and to On The Town.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#38So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 12:59pm

Michael Cerveris is pouring his soul into his role in Fun Home.  No one even comes close.

Anyone could take best actress in a musical.  Cheno is great and may win.  She is giving the performance of a lifetime.

Supporting is between Lucas and Kuhn.  Kuhn also pours her soul on the stage, but Lucas is so fantastically genuine.  Either could win.

Fun Home should take score and book.  Both aspects are completely unique and revolutionary.

Director will be between Fun Home and AAIP.  FN is incredibly directed in such an open way.  He uses the round expertly and makes the audience feel like they're part of it all.  AAIP is visually stunning and is absolutely gorgeous. 

The Visit should take lighting and it's sad that, that's probably the only award that it will take.

theatreguy12
#39So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 1:14pm

I'm not real decisive obviously.  This is a tough season.  Didn't see any of the plays so won't comment.  But here goes for musicals:

MUSICAL:

Who will (probably?) win:  Fun Home

Who I'd be happy with: any of them 

REVIVAL:

Who will (probably?) win:  The King and I

Who I want to win:  On the Town (would be happy with OTTC too)

ACTRESS:

Who will (probably?) win: Kristin Chenoweth

Who I want to win: Kristin Chenoweth (or Chita)

ACTOR:

Who will (probably?) win: Michael Cerveris

Who I want to win: Michael Cerveris (or Tony Yazbeck)

FEATURED ACTRESS:

Who will (probably?) win: Ruthie Ann Miles

Who I want to win: Judy Kuhn

FEATURED ACTOR: 

Who will (probably?) win: Brad Oscar

Who I want to win:  Andy Karl (or Christian Borle)

CHOREOGRAPHY:

Who will (probably?) win: Christopher Wheeldon

Who I want to win: Christopher Wheeldon 

SCENIC DESIGN:

Who will (probably?) win:  Michael Yeargan 

Who I want to win:  Bob Crowley 

COSTUMES:

Who will (probably?) win:  Catherine Zuber

Who I want to win:  William Ivey Long

LIGHTING:

Who will (probably?) win: Japhy Wiedeman

Who I want to win:  Japhy Wiedeman

DIRECTOR:

Who will (probably?) win: Sam Gold 

Who I'd like to win: Christopher Wheeldon

I didn't see The King and I, but am making some guesses as per the sentiment and love it seems to be getting on here, and elsewhere.

Updated On: 5/25/15 at 01:14 PM

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#40So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 1:30pm

"Michael Cerveris is pouring his soul into his role in Fun Home.  No one even comes close."

I really disagree with that statement.  Cerveris is giving an excellent performance in what is a very emotional role given the character arc.  But to me, it's the role rather than the performance to which many are reacting.  I think that there are many excellent actors around who are more than capable of giving an equal performance.  Though Fun Home stayed with me, his performance didn't linger as did some of the female characters.

I'd vote for either Ken or BDJ before I'd vote for Cerveris, probably BDJ who gave what I felt was a brilliant performance in "Something Rotten."  And I thought that Watanabe made an outstanding King, giving the role nuance and texture.  

So, while I appreciate your strong feeling for MC, I think that this is a very competitive category (as are many this year).  

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

theatreguy12
#41So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 2:53pm

Interesting take.

That could probably be said about a number of roles and performances though, as well.  I guess there will always be someone waiting in the wings who can do certain roles as well.  A lot of talent out there.

I didn't see The King and I, and I have only caught glimpses on video of O'hara singing parts of the score.   And she's just great.

But I'd be curious to know (from those who have seen it) what she is doing different with the role that makes it stand out?   

Or is the attention she's getting more about sentiment for a beloved, beautiful show, and an actress who has been nominated many times but not won.  

Just playing the devil's advocate there.

I read that she herself said that the vocal range wasn't particularly challenging for her. It was more about the acting.  And from what people are saying on here she's creating a very nuanced performance in the role and is turning heads.  I'm just curious what that "nuance" looks like.

It seems that if you're a Broadway caliber actress and singer, and as good as she is, you should be able to capture that.

But then again, the same could be said for Chita or Kristin in their roles, as well.

Though I must admit having seen several productions of TKAI, and knowing what the character of Anna is about….and then comparing her to Lily Garland (now that I've seen OTTC for the first time)….all I can say about Lily is, wow…..there is A LOT in that role to master.

muscle23ftl
#42So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 3:26pm

"But I'd be curious to know (from those who have seen it) what she is doing different with the role that makes it stand out?"

She sings the songs beautifully, her acting is extraordinary...she is a gifted musical theatre performer that conveys the message of the song while singing the score beautifully. Also, she is a true professional who shows up to every show and delivers. It's Kelli's year!

With that said, Cerveris and Wantabe are not my picks for best actors...actually, they both lack depth in my point of view and I wasn't able to connect with their characters. Brian darcy James is the best actor of the season and deserves his first Tony. Tony Yazbek is also showing he is a true triple threat...and his solo in On The Town had much more depth than any of the songs that Wantabe or Cerveris sang in their shows, and the show is not nearly as deep or as the other two...THAT is a good performer. Yazbek conveys emotion with his singing and dancing like no other actor this season.

theatreguy12
#43So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 4:02pm

I loved Yazbeck and would love to see him pull off the Tony.  But I'd also be stoked to see BDJ get it too.  So many great performances this season.

And I thought both musicals were amazing.  OTT is just one of those quintessential NY musicals, IMO.  If it wins I would be ecstatic.  I have a gut feeling though that The King and I is going to take it again. Too much sentiment behind it, even though it would be nice to see OTT take it.  For something different.

As for new musical, SR is something so original and so entertaining….which I loved. I think FH will probably take musical though, even though you have to admit AAIP is also a strong contender, and The Visit has uniqueness and great qualities too. And you can't count out SR!

As for Cerveris…I actually do think there is depth to his character, and acting.  

Did I find it easy to connect with him?  No.  But for me that was because his character was living behind a facade.  He kept his distance from others in the story.  And I felt it, as well.  

Hence, I don't so much think that any sense of disconnect I had was because of his acting, but because of the character he was portraying. Which I felt his acting brought out through the performance. That was my take.

I'm with you though, I find myself listening over and over again to "Lonely Town" and even "Lucky to Be Me."  The latter song just feels so good….the former is just mind-bogglingly touching.  

Conversely, I probably won't buy FH.  Even though I liked the show okay.

For actress, I still have to go with Chenoweth, who possesses the qualities you've attributed to O'hara.  Granted she's missed a few shows due to illness, but she has also performed quite a bit while ill.  Which says a lot too.

lynnetoomey
#44So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 4:30pm

Interesting how many people say "The King and I" is the winner, but that are rooting for OTT or OTTC.  I'm hearing a lot of voters saying  "The King and I is beautiful, but it's not as good as "South Pacific", and there is nothing new there", etc.  You heard it here folks, the revival TONY is going to be OTT or OTTC.  Both are MUCH trickier pieces to pull-off, and the voters will give that a LOT of weight.

Updated On: 5/25/15 at 04:30 PM

theatreguy12
#45So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 4:56pm

That would be my take on it, as well, lynne.  Either of those two would get my vote, as well.

As for TKAI, I'm just going off what I've read on these boards.  And I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony voters with the same sentiment.  

Maybe you can't make that kind of assumption though.

NichThom Profile Photo
NichThom
#46So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/25/15 at 5:03pm

All I can say is I completely and totally agree with bwayphreak234 word for word (above)...kind of "freaky" actually! :)

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#47So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/26/15 at 3:04am

For what it's worth....my (slightly pessimistic at times) predictions. 

Best Play: 

Will Win - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

My Vote - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 

Best Musical:

Will Win - An American in Paris

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Revival of a Play:

Will Win - Skylight

My Vote - The Elephant Man

Best Revival of a Musical:

Will Win - The King & I

My Vote - The King & I

Best Book of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

Should Win - Fun Home

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play:

Will Win - Alex Sharp

My Vote - Stephen Boyer

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Play:

Will Win - Helen Mirren

My Vote - Helen Mirren

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical: 

Will Win - Michael Cerveris

My Vote - Michael Cerveris

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical:

Will Win - Kristin Chenoweth

My Vote - Kelli O’Hara

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Play: 

Will Win - Nathaniel Parker

My Vote - Nathaniel Parker

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Play:

Will Win - Annaleigh Ashford

My Vote - Patricia Clarkson

Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in a Musical:

Will Win - Brad Oscar

My Vote - Brad Oscar

Best Original Score:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Role in a Musical:

Will Win - Judy Kuhn

My Vote - Sydney Lucas

Best Scenic Design of a Play:

Best Scenic Design of a Musical:

My Vote - An American in Paris

Best Costume Design of a Play:

Will Win - Wolf Hall Parts One & Two

My Vote - Airline Highway

Best Costume Design of a Musical:

Will Win - The King & I

My Vote - The King & I

Best Lighting Design of a Play:

Best Lighting Design of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Direction of a Play:

Best Direction of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Choreography

My Vote - On the Town

Best Orchestrations:

My Vote - An American in Paris

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#48So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/26/15 at 3:06pm

RingOfKeys2, I like your Will Win/Your Choice structure, so I stole it. While my predictions don't match up with my top choice for the majority here, that's not to say I wouldn't be totally pleased if things went the way I'm predicting. In some cases, like Best Play, I'd be more than happy with almost any outcome (minus Disgraced). In others, like Best Actor in a Musical, I feel like it's almost impossible to choose and ultimately picked based on some silly criteria (Cerveris already having a Tony in that case). In any case:

Best Play: 

Best Musical:

Will Win – An American in Paris

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Revival of a Play:

Will Win - Skylight

My Vote – You Can’t Take It With You

Will Win - The King & I

My Vote – On the Town

Best Book of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

Should Win - Fun Home

Will Win - Alex Sharp

My Vote - Stephen Boyer

Will Win - Helen Mirren

My Vote – Ruth Wilson

My Vote – Tony Yazbeck

My Vote – Beth Malone

Will Win – K. Todd Freeman

My Vote – Micah Stock

My Vote – Annaleigh Ashford

Will Win – Andy Karl

My Vote – Max Von Essen

Best Original Score:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Will Win – Sydney Lucas

My Vote – Judy Kuhn

My Vote - Skylight

Best Scenic Design of a Musical:

My Vote – Fun Home

Best Costume Design of a Play:

Will Win - Wolf Hall

My Vote – Wolf Hall

Best Costume Design of a Musical: 

Will Win - The King & I

My Vote – Something Rotten

Best Lighting Design of a Play:

My Vote – Wolf Hall

Best Lighting Design of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Direction of a Play:

Best Direction of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Choreography

My Vote – Curious Incident

Best Orchestrations:

My Vote – The Last Ship

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#49So, who's winning the Tony? Tony Awards Predictions
Posted: 5/26/15 at 10:30pm

Best Play: 

Best Musical:

My Vote - An American in Paris

Best Revival of a Play:

Will Win - You Can't Take it With You

My Vote - You Can't Take it With You

Will Win - The King & I

My Vote - On The Town

Best Book of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Best Score of a Musical:

Will Win - Fun Home

My Vote - Fun Home

Will Win - Alex Sharp

My Vote - Stephen Boyer (but I really wanted to vote for Jake Gyllenhaal)

Will Win - Helen Mirren

My Vote - Ruth Wilson

My Vote - Robert Fairchild

My Vote - Kristin Chenoweth

Will Win - Nathaniel Parker

My Vote - Nathaniel Parker (but I really wanted to vote for Michael Oberholtzer, Hand to God)

My Vote - Annaleigh Ashford

Will Win - Christian Borle

My Vote - Andy Karl

Will Win - Judy Kuhn

My Vote - Ruthie Ann Miles