Wayward Pines

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#25Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/3/15 at 6:11pm

I hate to say it but they started to lose me by the end of the third episode. I'll give it one more episode.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/3/15 at 7:07pm

For some reason, I'm getting the idea that it's like Fincher's brilliant 1997 film, THE GAME. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#27Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/3/15 at 9:12pm

"For some reason, I'm getting the idea that it's like Fincher's brilliant 1997 film, THE GAME. "

No. Think more M. Night Shyamalan's bad film The Village. ( well SOME elements thereof)

( ps I like The Game too tho it really would be Financially and organizationally unfeasible but- willing suspension of disbelief and allWayward Pines)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/3/15 at 9:17pm

Well, you have to suspend all belief with THE GAME. But I think it's Fincher's best film and one of the best thrillers ever made. I've said many times that if I could see one movie again for the very first time, it would be that one.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/9/15 at 4:07pm

I'm having fun watching it.  Of course you have to suspend disbelief.  That's pretty obvious halfway into the first episode.  I definitely got a Cabin in the Woods vibe (which I found to be less enjoyable as each layer was hefted upon the plot) as well as The Village and Stephen King's Desperation.  Of course, this normal-person-stuck-in-a-creepy-town thing is a common backdrop for loads of horror and sci-fi stories.  My one major complaint is killing off Juliette Lewis so early.  WTF?!?!  But we had to watch MORE of Terence f*cking Howard?!?!  It's like they HATE ME.

But I think it's Fincher's best film and one of the best thrillers ever made.

It is and it is.  One of my all-time favorite films and absolutely robbed of Oscar noms.  I bought the Criterion release on Blu-Ray and it was like watching it for the first time in the theater again.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 6/9/15 at 04:07 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/9/15 at 6:37pm

Alledgedly everything will be explained in this weeks episode

It is getting interesting despite the commercials every 5 minutes.

Poster Emeritus

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#31Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/9/15 at 9:06pm

I'm giving up one hint ( at least to what I figured out) Those of you who guessed wil understand.

H.G. Wells ( kinda)

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#32Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/11/15 at 2:04pm

I found the twist/big reveal to be extremely far fetched. I'm honestly not sure it jives with what they've shown on the show so far but perhaps the remaining episodes will make sense.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#33Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/11/15 at 9:42pm

Certainly in the books, it's gradually teased out. That's why I could guess  but didn't believe. 

I think the thing that allowed me to accept it was Clarke's statements:

If we have learned one thing from the history of invention and discovery, it is that, in the long run - and often in the short one - the most daring prophecies seem laughably conservative.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#34Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/12/15 at 8:30pm

Qoq, the twist made this whole series one gaping plot hole! Sabrelady, at least HG Welles could make his stories seem plausible.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#35Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/15/15 at 9:23am

Yeah, I don't think any of the characters actually die.  They just fall into plot holes, never to be found again.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#36Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/15/15 at 4:39pm

More like The Matrix than anything else.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#37Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/15/15 at 4:41pm

What have they done that hasn't made any sense? I may miss holes since I have read the books.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#38Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/15/15 at 6:27pm

It all makes sense to me... in a completely nonsensical way, of course.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#39Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/15/15 at 6:44pm

SPOILERS!

Yes , so they are flying 2,000 year old helicopters and driving 2,000 year old cars, building homes with 2,000 year old supplies. How big is Wayward Pines? They have an aerodynamics factory? I would assume as the awaken people from the front loader washers that they too would be coming in short supply. Lets not mention that there was communication between the two time frames in the very first episode.

I'm wasting my time on binging of The Strain! Much betterer!

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#40Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/15/15 at 11:23pm

"What have they done that hasn't made any sense? I may miss holes since I have read the books."

I think that is the issue here. Having read the books, at least by book two you are getting kinda suspicious. MAybe more inconsistencies that lead u to think out various possibilities but this one answer you kinda dismiss.  It seems too BIG to be real.

Except for A.C. Clarke's  comments then u begin to take it seriously.

Also as a natural pessimist I  have to hope there is something higher on the evolutionary scale for us to go to cos if not- devolution does not seem impossible .

JerseyGirl2
#41Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 5:22am

What was the communication between the two time frames in the first episode?

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#42Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 6:41am

The sheriff is in present day. He tampers with the car that causes the wife and son to get into the car accident. 2000 years later he's still sheriff.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#43Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 7:09am

There is also communication between Wayward Pines and with the heros home office. Watward Pines is notified the the wife and son are on their way.

JerseyGirl2
#44Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 7:31am

He tampered with the car in the past before he was put under. So, he went under after the wife and came out before the wife. They were all in present day before being brought to Wayward Pines. The communication may have appeared to be person A in present time calling person B in WP, but it could have been person A making a call to someone who is involved in putting people under 2000 years ago. Some of the people in WP were clueless, but some knew exactly what was going on and made the choice to be a part of it.

Updated On: 6/16/15 at 07:31 AM

JerseyGirl2
#45Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 8:35am

The part that I can't get past is the secrecy. Why can't they just tell everyone? Why the secrecy and requiring people to pretend they don't know something is off? It's just silly. At the very least, why no just explain the rules from the get-go?

And yeah, the cars, mechanical equipment, ovens, microwaves, refrigerators, etc. I just can't believe that they would worry about the shiny upkeep of an espresso machine. 

Updated On: 6/16/15 at 08:35 AM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#46Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 8:36am

This thing is all over the place. The only thing it has going for it is that it is new TV programming which is sorely lacking during the summer. Basically it is better than watching nothing at all but barely.

Poster Emeritus

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#47Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 8:50am

"The part that I can't get past is the secrecy. Why can't they just tell everyone? Why the secrecy and requiring people to pretend they don't know something is off? It's just silly. At the very least, why no just explain the rules from the get-go?
And yeah, the cars, mechanical equipment, ovens, microwaves, refrigerators, etc. I just can't believe that they would worry about the shiny upkeep of an espresso machine. "

Yes. I think just telling everyone the truth would be a better control method than slitting people's throats in a public square.

Subjective Sarcasm Profile Photo
Subjective Sarcasm
#48Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 1:17pm

POSSIBLE SPOILER/TRYING TO BE VAGUE:

The show lost my attention during the event at the end of episode 2. That actress was the only thing bringing me to the show.

Updated On: 6/16/15 at 01:17 PM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#49Wayward Pines
Posted: 6/16/15 at 1:36pm

"And yeah, the cars, mechanical equipment, ovens, microwaves, refrigerators, etc. I just can't believe that they would worry about the shiny upkeep of an espresso machine. "

When I saw the helicopter, that is what did it for me. I mean, look at the things we uncover after 2,000 years. They look anything but new and shiny. Even the cars they recently found in a garage that hadn't been opened since the 60's