pixeltracker

Crucible Revival for Early 2016?- Page 2

Crucible Revival for Early 2016?

Wilmingtom
#25Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/21/15 at 11:37pm

It may be more likely to get a big name in as Abigail.  Elle Fanning?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#26Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/21/15 at 11:50pm

Someone like Elizabeth Olsen comes to mind as both an ideal fit for Abigail and the caliber of star they're likely to have cast.

Sophie Okonedo was so stunning in A Raisin in the Sun. She's an excellent choice for Elizabeth.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/21/15 at 11:50 PM

Wilmingtom
#27Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 1:24am

^ Both terrific ideas!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#28Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 2:13am

Somethingwicked, as usual, your casting choices are note perfect. I'd love to see Elizabeth Olsen as Abigail. 

I rank Okonedo's Tony-winning performance up there with one of the most haunting and lived-in performances I have ever seen. It was just extraordinary. I'd see her in this in a heartbeat. 

Love the idea of Fassbender. Doubt he would do it but how brilliant he would be.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

LarryD2
#29Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 5:59am

If Sophie Okenedo is playing Elizabeth (great choice, btw), might we see an actor of color as John, as well?

indytallguy
#30Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 7:32am

I'm visiting Minneapolis right now and the Guthrie is doing a great production of The Crucible.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 10:16am

"If Sophie Okenedo is playing Elizabeth (great choice, btw), might we see an actor of color as John, as well?"

I mean...no? I adore her, but that's just weird casting for 17th century Pilgrims. 

Updated On: 5/22/15 at 10:16 AM

cknick
#32Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 11:35am

Sarah Paulson comes to mind as a potentially great choice for Elizabeth. She has that stoic quality that would serve this role and play very well.

For some reason I always thought Sandra Bullock would be a good Elizabeth, too. 

And I second the idea of Fassbender!

Updated On: 5/22/15 at 11:35 AM

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#33Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 11:58am

Considering the fact that the casting notice point out that this is going to be an ethnically diverse cast I wouldn't be suprised if Denzel Washington plays John. Hes been doing broadway every couple of years and he has the star power to sell a show you can see for free at your local community theater.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#34Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:00pm

Steppenwolf did a somewhat color-blind version with a black John Proctor. It's been done. However I think if you're going to do that you've got to have multiple actors of color and go all out with the concept.

decast
#35Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:09pm

Fassbender would be great, but he doesn't seem too interested in stage work. Cumberbatch also great idea, but I think with him doing Hamlet at the end of the year it would rule him out. I'd actually really prefer to see Bradley Cooper do something fun, like The Philadelphia Story, throw Emma Stone into that and it would be great. I digress, I think whoever mentioned Lizzie Olsen for Abigail was spot on.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#36Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:15pm

I'm a major Bradley Cooper fan and I can't imagine him as John at all.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#37Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:18pm

One of the things about shows like this that excites me is that there's room for a few "older" actors/actresses who don't do a lot of stage work anymore. I don't know why, but Marni Nixon immediately came to mind as someone Id LOVE to see in it. 

skylight2
#38Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:20pm

Kate Winslet for Elizabeth. 

She really needs to be on Broadway soon.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#39Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 4:37pm

The casting notice specifically says they're open to all ethnicities for all roles (with the exception of Tituba.) Sophie Okonedo being cast as Elizabeth has clearly opened the door for what will be a color-blind production.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/22/15 at 04:37 PM

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#40Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 9:23pm

Emma Stone as Abigail??

decast
#41Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 11:16am

I saw Fassbender in the new Macbeth film this morning and if no one can talk him into the The Crucible (they really should), they really need to offer him a meaty Shakespeare role on stage, cos damn.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#42Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 11:43am

""If Sophie Okenedo is playing Elizabeth (great choice, btw), might we see an actor of color as John, as well?"

I mean...no? I adore her, but that's just weird casting for 17th century Pilgrims. 

"

Now that the cast is official I would love to comment on this. Black people did exist in the 17th century. There is even a character in this play named Tituba who is black. The idea of Elizabeth proctor being a black woman married to John Proctor and ostracized by the community and an angry young woman is rather brilliant. Throughout the history of the United States there have been countless stories of interracial relationships and interracial sexual assaults on black women. Do the research and it is there even if your history books want to ignore it.

Also this play is actually about Mccarthyism, the red scare, and the black list. So once again race was huge element during that time. It caused a lot of pain and ruined live of poor black people in America.

Now please give me a reason Ms Okenedo shouldn't play this part….

Updated On: 8/7/15 at 11:43 AM

Brick
#43Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 11:56am

I agree her casting signals another reason this casting will be brilliant and, as always with Ivo von Hove, adventurous. But from reasons NYC4Life gave, it actually isn't clear whether it will be color-blind, or simply diverse, with the diversity heightening social and political tensions.

LarryD2
#44Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 8/7/15 at 12:18pm

But from reasons NYC4Life gave, it actually isn't clear whether it will be color-blind, or simply diverse, with the diversity heightening social and political tensions.

Well, so far, all of the announced principals are white save for Okenedo.

playbill-love
#45Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 9/13/15 at 3:20pm

Has there been an announcement of when tickets will go on sale for this? I can't find anything in any of the press releases

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#46Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 9/13/15 at 5:28pm

Tickets are currently on sale... just on Ticketmaster, not Telecharge! The "cheap" tickets are runnign $79-$89 and the balcony is NOT being sold.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#47Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 2:42pm

supersam1026 said: "Tickets are currently on sale... just on Ticketmaster, not Telecharge! The "cheap" tickets are runnign $79-$89 and the balcony is NOT being sold.

I just saw that.  Why is a Jujamcyn theatre selling on Ticketmaster?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#48Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 3:14pm

I am so pumped for this show.

....but the world goes 'round

neonlightsxo
#49Crucible Revival for Early 2016?
Posted: 10/7/15 at 3:21pm

James2, all the Jujamcyn theatres will be using Ticketmaster soon. They're switching over. I don't have any timeline or details.