pixeltracker

Colin Firth in My Fair Lady- Page 2

Colin Firth in My Fair Lady

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#25Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 12:58pm

^Perhaps the She Loves Me company and the My Fair Lady company should trade leading ladies.

Or, put more correctly, since My Fair Lady isn't cast yet, perhaps She Loves Me should trade Laura to My Fair Lady on the terms that Kelli plays Amalia.

That should make everyone happy.

"Honestly, Benanti is the only one I can actually picture nailing the comedy as well the more dramatic moments."

I'm one who believes Kelli is a great and underrated comedienne.  She proved that in Nice Work and also in many of the droller moments of the She Loves Me Roundabout reading. 

Updated On: 5/27/15 at 12:58 PM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#26Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:27pm

I think O'Hara looks a bit too matronly for the role, even if she was great in the concert of some years ago. I'd love Laura Benanti to play the role or, god forbid, someone young and not yet famous... with Colin Firth in the cast they won't have to worry that much about the sales.

mamaleh
#27Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:40pm

Firth is great casting--although I would have been just as happy if Hugh Laurie had been cast.

I'm with the Benanti bunch.  She'd hit all the right notes--musical and otherwise--as Eliza.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#28Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:41pm

They should cast someone new and fresh for Eliza like they did with Julie Andrews. I think Osnes, Benanti, and O'Hara would all be amazing, but idk I want someone new. Im sure this won't come to Broadway until 2017 at least or Fall 2016. It also kinda bothers me that Sher is becoming that Golden Age broadway musical director but i guess he's good at doing them. As long as he's not doing a new musical lol

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#29Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:45pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Erin Mackey as Eliza.  She impressed me as Johanna in the recent Sweeney Todd production.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

henrikegerman
#30Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:52pm

My number one choice:  Lauren Ambrose.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#31Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:53pm

I still don't know that girl. She was supposed to play Fanny Brice in the Sher helmed revival of Funny Girl that never happened lol

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

henrikegerman
#32Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:54pm

You've never seen Six Feet Under?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cak4UfSQPbk

Updated On: 5/27/15 at 01:54 PM

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#33Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:54pm

Lena Hall

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#34Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:55pm

I love Lauren Ambrose, and I know she can sing, but is she a soprano?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

henrikegerman
#35Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:57pm

^that would be the question.

I should have said, my number one choice would be Lauren Ambrose if she has the range (and I so hope she does).

Updated On: 5/27/15 at 01:57 PM

Gothampc
#36Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:57pm

Go with an unknown for Eliza.

Colin Firth as Higgins.  Derek Jacobi as Pickering.  

Steve Pemberton as Eliza's father, Harriet Harris as Higgins' mother

Stunt cast the Queen in the Ball scene.  One week Meryl Streep, one week Angelina Jolie, one week Catherine Zeta-Jones, one week Jodie Foster, one week Angela Lansbury.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#37Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 2:10pm

I love Harriet Harris, but she is only a couple of years older than Firth.  I've always pictured Maggie Smith as Mrs. Higgins, but I don't know if she'll do another Broadway show.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#38Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 2:12pm

Colin is over 50 and looks it ( in a good way) , so no I don't  think an Eliza who looks barely out of her teens is mandatory.  I think Eliza conveys a transformation that requires good acting as opposed to  just being young, plus heavy duty pipes.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Gothampc
#39Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 2:17pm

I've always wanted to see Patricia Routledge play Mrs. Higgins, but she's even older than Maggie Smith.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

henrikegerman
#40Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 2:43pm

Charlotte Rampling!!!!!!

1971FolliesFan Profile Photo
1971FolliesFan
#41Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 2:45pm

Stunt cast the Queen in the Ball scene.  One week Meryl Streep, one week Angelina Jolie, one week Catherine Zeta-Jones, one week Jodie Foster, one week Angela Lansbury."

Dame Angela Lansbury should play Henry's mother! She would be absolutely perfect! Otherwise, she could play the part that her mother (Moyna MacGill) played in the movie - Lady Boxington. 

henrikegerman
#42Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 2:49pm

Love the Lena Hall idea.

Gothampc
#43Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 2:57pm

"Dame Angela Lansbury should play Henry's mother!"

I think it's a step down for her.  Mrs. Higgins has something like three scenes and no songs.  Angela is still pulling down leading roles (Driving Miss Daisy, Blithe Spirit).

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#44Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 3:03pm

I just found out a few days ago that Sutton Foster is a year OLDER than Kelli O'Hara.  That's shocking to me.  I knew Laura wasn't that much younger than Kelli (though everyone seems to think she is), but I thought Sutton was in her early-mid 30s.  Nope, she's 40.  WHAT?  Anyway... back to the thread at hand.

When I saw Kelli do the Lincoln Center concert of this a few years ago, I was blown away.  That woman can transform into any age.  I know a few years have passed, but I think she could still pull it off.  For me, though, I'd love to see Kate Baldwin give it a shot.

BwayDude2
#45Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 3:33pm

When is this hitting NYC? 

1971FolliesFan Profile Photo
1971FolliesFan
#46Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 3:38pm

Gothampc, that is true, but I thought that it's such a wonderful musical, and it has a family connection for her... Let's hope that she will do the Chalk Garden (in the West End)! 

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#47Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 5:05pm

This may sound random, but with Firth as Higgins, I would love to see a "King's Speech" reunion with Geoffrey Rush as Alfred P. Doolittle.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jace2017
#48Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 5:05pm

I would love to see Ashley Park from The King and I as Eliza. She might be too young compared to Firth but her voice is beautiful!

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#49Colin Firth in My Fair Lady
Posted: 5/27/15 at 5:20pm

Best news I've heard all day!

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire
Updated On: 5/27/15 at 05:20 PM