pixeltracker

Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?- Page 3

Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#50Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:48am

It is soon for a revival, but this particular concept for the show is so unique, I think its justified.  That said, I do think a commercial Broadway presentation is ambitious.  It does feel like it belongs in a co-production with a not-for profit. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#51Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:53am

I don't know who thought this was a good idea financially.  Wasn't Spring Awakening the shortest running Best Musical Tony winner of the last two decades?  It had glowing reviews from the critics, good word of mouth, and an ideal theater (AND the aforementioned Tony award), and it still closed only a year and a half after winning.  Do they really think a large crowd of people is going to come see this?

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#52Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 10:57am

Why did it close so early anyway? It had everything going for it.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

mattporter17 Profile Photo
mattporter17
#53Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:00am

Maybe we should wait for more information about the production before we talk about how long it'll stay open. I think it would make sense for it to play a limited engagement rather than an open-ended run.

I think this exciting news, but I was also shocked when I heard it.

neonlightsxo
#54Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:07am

Bilbo you probably weren't alive then, but there was a bit of an economic crash in 08. Maybe you can google it.

"I don't know who thought this was a good idea financially."
Ken Davenport, who has never had a success as lead producer.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#55Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:08am

The original production of Spring Awakening still recouped though. So it's not like it closed as a failure.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#56Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:08am

I wonder how this would fare in an open-ended commercial run somewhere like the Little Shubert, or NWS, even. 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#57Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:10am

Since this is the Deaf version, this could seriously get Best Revival and Best Direction. So glad to see deaf people, finally being on Broadway. As a disabled girl, this makes me so happy!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#58Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:12am

there's an overall lack of available theaters this Fall. As of right now we only have: Brooks Atkinson & Schoenfeld available. The Lyric should open up shortly, but what new show would want it??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

gstrus2 Profile Photo
gstrus2
#59Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:13am

Schoenfeld has the new Al Pacino/David Mamet show^

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#60Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:14am

"Since this is the Deaf version, this could seriously get Best Revival and Best Direction. So glad to see deaf people, finally being on Broadway. As a disabled girl, this makes me so happy!

"

Not even an hour ago you said this was "wayyyyy too soon." What changed your mind?

The Schoenfeld has China Doll in the Fall.

mattporter17
#61Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:16am

I don't think this show would be good in the Lyric. Really any show would struggle in that airplane hanger. Maybe they should move BoM or Wicked to it. That make SA's original home open lol.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#62Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:20am

As surprised I am that they are choosing to go the Broadway route, it is quite exciting.

I agree with QueenAlice –but the uniqueness of this production in contrast with the original makes the short amount of time between the original and revival feel more justified.

Whatever happens, this is a phenomenal production and I’m simply glad to see it live on and to give others the opportunity to see it. It deserves much praise and success.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#63Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:21am

""Since this is the Deaf version, this could seriously get Best Revival and Best Direction. So glad to see deaf people, finally being on Broadway. As a disabled girl, this makes me so happy!"

Not even an hour ago you said this was "wayyyyy too soon." What changed your mind?

The Schoenfeld has China Doll in the Fall. "

I mean it is too soon, but anything for representation for minorities. It's rare to see a disabled, deaf, or blind person on Broadway and this would be the perfect production to do it 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#64Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:22am

maybe it's time someone booted CHICAGO out of the Ambassador, revamp the theater & open something new there in the spring.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

mattporter17
#65Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:23am

This revival is already screaming "Special Tony' award if it happens.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#66Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:30am

I'm thrilled to see this production, as I've heard nothing but wonderful things.  Will it last? Doubtful, but I know ill but a ticket.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#67Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:48am

It's already looking like one interesting Tony race for Best Revival of a Musical next year...

The Color Purple
Dames at Sea
Falsettos
Fiddler on the Roof
She Loves Me
Spring Awakening

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#68Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 11:56am

I can only echo what GilmoreGirl said. It's a very special production that warrants being seen. It's not the original Spring Awakening...the biggest bones of the show feel so different. Bring it in for a limited engagement and bring in new audiences.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#69Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:28pm

That's if it can find a theater. Can it hold out until the Spring??

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#70Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 12:35pm

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my skeptical eye of doing this commercially is that it is a very large cast - 27, with some doubling as musicians, but even still -- that is very big for a show at the Brooks Atkinson. If they were doing this at the Roundabout, the reduced union pay scale would be much more viable than full Broadway rates. I don't know how this would recoup in a three or four month limited run….I'd be very curious to see how they make that work.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#71Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 1:15pm

If they wanted to recoup in 3 or 4 months, they would need a bigger house then the Brooks Atkinson. They are probably waiting for a bigger theatre to open up. I don't know what theatre that would be though because everything's taken for the fall unless they want the Lyric lol

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

NewsiesForever Profile Photo
NewsiesForever
#72Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 1:23pm

Please bring Ben Frankhauser back to Broadway! He was a member of the Spring Awakening tour company, so I hope that he joins the broadway cast!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#73Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 1:32pm

^Fankhauser already has a national tour lined up...

Updated On: 7/1/15 at 01:32 PM

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#74Deaf West Spring Awakening to NYC?
Posted: 7/1/15 at 1:39pm

If/when this comes to Broadway, it'll be the only full-time deaf-friendly show on Broadway. All of the disabled tourists/theater kids are going to see it. Why won't it do well? It would lasts for at least 18 months

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

Videos